Garmin 60cSx vs. the Garmin 60sx

c3po1

Hi all,

Recently I was visiting my local "Radio Shack" outlet to enquire about the difference between the two Garmins. Of course, asking these "highschool" kids such a question would only allow thier imagination to take over instead of thier training (...if any!) and experience dealing with these high tech tools.

After standing in the store and listening to someone with no real experience in the field, I got a headache and had to leave without my question answered.

So, here I am! Is anyone out there able to tell me what the difference is (besides cost) and is the extra feature, if the extra letter implies such, really neccessary?

Thanks to all that reply!

C3po1 ;)

It has a true Electronic Compass, and an Altimeter. Whether or not those are worth the cost difference it a personal choice. For geocaching, I wouldn't have a GPS without an electronic compass. But then, I've actually taken the time to learn how to correctly use it. Many people seem baffled by it, and think it doesn't work properly.

It has a true Electronic Compass, and an Altimeter. Whether or not those are worth the cost difference it a personal choice. For geocaching, I wouldn't have a GPS without an electronic compass. But then, I've actually taken the time to learn how to correctly use it. Many people seem baffled by it, and think it doesn't work properly.

I suppose it is of personal preferance for sure! Just was not sure what the extras consisted of. Something to seriously consider exsp. on long hikes that take one over hilly terrain. Thx for the advise!

C3po1 ;)

I suppose it is of personal preferance for sure! Just was not sure what the extras consisted of. Something to seriously consider exsp. on long hikes that take one over hilly terrain. Thx for the advise!

C3po1 :sad:

Just got a second chance to read your reply... You mention that ppl are baffled over the electronic compass... Just wondering how confusing it is to figure out. Edited by c3po1

Just got a second chance to read your reply... You mention that ppl are baffled over the electronic compass... Just wondering how confusing it is to figure out.

You have to calibrate it occasionally. Basically just sit it flat on your palm and rotate it (horizontally) 360 deg.

Just got a second chance to read your reply... You mention that ppl are baffled over the electronic compass... Just wondering how confusing it is to figure out.

It's really a matter of using the compass in conjunction with the Navigation arrow in off-road mode, the most common way to zero in on a cache. A look at all the "why does the arrow jump around?" messages in the equipment & software forum says more than I can.

Edited by Prime Suspect

Prime Suspect nailed it. The difference is CSx has (S)ensors (electronic compass and barometric altimiter) and Cx does not (there is no sx). For a side-by-side take a look here --> https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?cID=...pareProduct=310

edit: And you can have both for a whole lot less than MSRP!

edit #2: C = Color Screen, S = Sensors, x = Expanded Memory

Edited by OzzieSan

This pretty much sums up my opinion, also.

I've had units with the electronic compass(and liked them) but for most use I have it turned off anyway. I use my gps on my bike handlebars and with the electronic compass turned on the arrow on the map screen would always show me moving sideways!

also after being so close to a large metal object it would need to be calibrated(simple 1minute procedure) or it would be off as much as 10degrees.

There are places you actually need an electronic compass just to use the compass pointer at all. Since the normal compass requires you to be moving at about 3mph in a straight line, if you can't move more than a few feet at a time slowly then the pointer will point all over the place. a couple examples of places where the electronic compass is awesome would be walking in a swampy area hopping bog to bog, or climbing around some rocks and cliffs or walking slowly up a really steep hill.

On a unit without an electronic compass I usually just set one data field to Bearing & have the unit set to magnetic north. that way I can just put that bearing into my real compass I have hanging around my neck and be pointing right at the cache(very simple if you know how to use a compass).

Edited by hogrod
Is anyone out there able to tell me what the difference is (besides cost) and is the extra feature, if the extra letter implies such, really neccessary?

Thanks to all that reply!

You can get the Garmin website to give you a side-by-side comparison. Go to https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145 and tick all the check boxes of the units you would like to compare. The click on the Compare button at the bottom of that page and marvel at the intricacies...

This pretty much sums up my opinion, also.

I've used my older 76s with and without the electronic compass (calibrated of course) and can safely say that for 99.9% of caches found, the compass being turned on didn't do a thing to help. I think it is because i am usually moving when i am looking for a cache which keeps the arrow pointing towards the "goto" i am after. If i'm not mistaken, using the unit with the electronic compass turned on helps keep the arrow pointing in the right direction, even when you are not moving.