Trade values

Koolbrez

Where can one go to find what would be fair trade value for coins.

Is something that is learned by just doing it?

Is there a reliable site?

I know consideration is also taken for what it means to one person vs. the next and supply and demand amoung other things. Let me know what you think.

If anyone wants they can post a coin and say what fair trade would be in Geocash . $1 US = $1 GEO

Thanks

Koolbrez

There isn't a site on value because value is subjective (ok, maybe there is; it's called ebay :D)

You may think Coin ABC is worth $50

To me Coin ABC might only be worth $10 (the value that it was bought for originally).

A coin is only worth what one is willing to pay or trade for it.

Example: Earth Turtle 2007 gold version (20 made). True value (what I paid for them :D) 1st one on ebay back in 2007 went for over $300. One just recently went for over $100. Trade value? Hard to say, someone might be willing to trade a boatload of coins where someone else might be willing to only trade a few.

Value is different for every monetary and trade negotiation. On average I think most trades are 1 for 1 value but both parties must be in agreement.

Ok, that is my 2 geocents.

Edited by tsunrisebey

If you want the perspective of a newbie, or one that has been looking seriously at coins for less than one year, I would also state that the value of a geocoin is only worth what one places on said coin. Coins that I feel are valuable ( or at least really cool and worth owning or releasing! ) have not received the same recognition when offered up for trades. Ebay is a whole other realm - I have been there but seldom been happy about it!

If you really want a coin, I feel that sticking to how much YOU value the coin is the best course of action. Eventually, you will meet someone who feels the same way. Ideally, this person will want what you have or have what you want, and both parties in close agreement in terms of value. Again, if you want the perspective of a newbie, the value of a coin is most accurately determined by how long you are willing to WAIT for it!

My 2 cents.

There isn't a site on value because value is subjective (ok, maybe there is; it's called ebay :))

A coin is only worth what one is willing to pay or trade for it.

Example: Earth Turtle 2007 gold version (20 made). True value (what I paid for them :huh:) 1st one on ebay back in 2007 went for over $300. One just recently went for over $100. Trade value? Hard to say, someone might be willing to trade a boatload of coins where someone else might be willing to only trade a few.

I am soooo ashamed :D But thrilled!! :D But also ashamed :o

That's the thing - I think the 2006 Compass Roses are the most beautiful, and the 2005 Compass Rose is boring (sorry guys!). I would pay way more for the 2006 version, but obviously I am pretty much alone in that. The 2005 Compass Roses are going for a fortune on eBay.

To each their own.

I think it also depends how much someone really wants the coin you have. Some people may think only in eBay prices, but others feel much more personally about coins and their worth. And some people should never ever ever buy coins on eBay again. :D

Personally I don't feel that what one coin went for on Ebay is reflective of it's value. It was worth that much to the folks willing to bid it up that high but that could also have been an anomaly or even a fund raiser to help another cacher.

If you're trading with folks who sell a lot on Ebay or follow the auctions regularly THAT will be their benchmark. If you trade with folks who don't login to Ebay on a daily (or even weekly) basis you'll find a different value system.

I've traded coins worth $100 (Ebay) for coins I didn't have and cost only $7 (or less to the coinmaker) and I've traded with folks who insisted the coins I wanted were going for $50 on Ebay and demanded a 3-1 trade. In both instances it was my choice to accept, reject or counter-offer. That's horse trading. Use your own value system and offer/accept only that which you're comfortable with.

I am not one to offend someone when making a trade but I guess if one of us don't like the terms then it just wasn't meant to be. I think most people understand but like in all things you have your traders that think their coins are worth a mint and those that would do anything to make a good fair trade. Reputation is paramount in this society from my first impression.

I am not one to offend someone when making a trade but I guess if one of us don't like the terms then it just wasn't meant to be. I think most people understand but like in all things you have your traders that think their coins are worth a mint and those that would do anything to make a good fair trade. Reputation is paramount in this society from my first impression.

You are 100% correct.

And you will find that you will just click with some traders, and not with others. Some people may try to gauge your level of 'fair trade' though, by offering you a not so good trade. You dont have to accept it. But just say no nicely :)

On the flip side, you will be given free coins by people who dont know you at all, so all in all, this forum is an excellent place to start trading :)

Unless I know otherwise. I just assume a coin is a coin and they are all under 10 bucks.

Since I don't track eBay I wouldn't know a turtle coin was worth more than a buck two eighty if I found it in a cache and would have traded a coin or a 10.00 bill for it.

yup B)

That pretty much sums it up. It reminds me very much of card trading as kids. Most of those cards never ended up being worth much more than we paid for them intially, but we had a lot of fun and they changed hands more than a few times and most importantly we made a lot of friends along the way. Trade for the coin that appeals to you. If you get, you've made a good trade. It's all about what makes you happy. B)

I kinda figured that most coins are 7-10$. But also think that if someone has a coin and are willing to trade it off it does not have that "special" meaning to them like their keepers do. SO.... a coin on the trade list won't have much more value than most coins you can buy due to sentimental value. They might have the the HTF factor added though.

Edited by Koolbrez