Are there no reviewers in UK?

stoerti

I'm sure one of them will be on it. A SBA log gets flagged up to them, but they may have been assured things were in hand and the cache would be live again shortly. There were three reviewers in the UK, that dropped to one, and a second has recently been taken on and is 'in training'.

Happy caching :anicute:

Since 9 months the cache GC11V8C is logged only by DNF, on june the 10th a user logged a NBA, but there are still only DNF logs and no maintainance by the owner.

Why is that cache still available and not archived or disabled?

Rather harsh and unnecessary IMHO :o

It is my belief that the reviewers only get problems alerted to them if a SBA is logged and until your one today there have been none since it was replaced in June.

So what is your interest in this cache? You don't appear to have attempted a find to date!

BTW well done for your SBA log but attempting to publicly humiliate the owner and the overworked reviewers is unacceptable :anicute::cute::wub: .

Since 9 months the cache GC11V8C is logged only by DNF, on june the 10th a user logged a NBA, but there are still only DNF logs and no maintainance by the owner.

Because the cache police had not put and SBA on it, I assume you are visiting the area or just nowt better to do?

Looks to me that the owner did a maintenance visit on the 10th June and replaced it, and the only SBA log after that is yours today. So unless the reviewers actually go out to see it’s there how are they to know the owner did not visit?

I’m sure after this thread they will have a look

All the best

Andy

So what is your interest in this cache?

In 4 weeks I am in Inverness and would like to go caching there but I would like to find caches and don't only add DNFs.

That is my interest.

After my SBA log I have seen the other SBA log so I wrote this article.

In 4 weeks I am in Inverness and would like to go caching there but I would like to find caches and don't only add DNFs.

That is my interest.

An SBA would be quite adequate without the forum thread.

The words "get a life" come to mind re the OP which is, anyway, factually incorrect.

From the maintenance log on June 10th - "Finally managed to get out and replace this one. Sorry for any inconvenience caused. terrible really as it's close to home but we've had a lot of health problems lately." So there's only been a short delay, and it's entirely understandable.

If you're going to pretend to be cache police, better to do it properly...

As you appear to be so 'on the ball' maybe we should elect you as our official Cache Police? Do you reckon you are up for the Job.

Pay is Zilch

Rewards are Nil

feel good factor Zero

But the Abuse you'll get will be second to none..

Get your name down.

oh and I hope you have a great time when you come to the UK. (i wonder what your logs will be like)

That is my interest.

Well the simple option is to ignore it if you suspect it is missing, common sense I think.

Should any of the respondents in this thread need to ask a question in the German forum in German I hope you all receive more polite and helpful treatment than a visitor here has received :anicute:

And we are all the cache police. If we don't point out problems with caches who on earth do you think will?

Should any of the respondents in this thread need to ask a question in the German forum in German I hope you all receive more polite and helpful treatment than a visitor here has received :anicute:

And we are all the cache police. If we don't point out problems with caches who on earth do you think will?

I certainly wouldn't use the German equivalent of 'Are there no reviewers in UK?' as my title.

MBF

probably get an answer as polite and as helpful as the OP's title

Not that hot on my german personally but i know when in rome do as the romans do.

I really cannot see an occasion why I would want to ask a question of this type on any forum.

There is a place for this, and a public forum is not it IMHO.

I really cannot see an occasion why I would want to ask a question of this type on any forum.

There is a place for this, and a public forum is not it IMHO.

I agree with Alan. What is the problem with this person's asking a question here? Granted, it could have been phrased more tactfully, but his written English is a dam.ned sight better than some of the Brits that post here. He won't be aware of what's been going on here with the changes in reviewers inter alia and why should he be?

Where is the place to discuss this, if not in a forum?

I am aware that the French reviwers, for example, will respond to a couple of DNFs with an email to the owner. Perhaps he expected that response from ours over a cache that has not been one of the most successful.

did think the op was a bit out of order having a go at our hard working unpaid reviewers.

(just picking yours to quote)

I, unlike most others who were happy to jump down his throat, didn't read it like that. You must be able to see that stoerti's first language is not English and therefore he may not be able to convey his question in the manner which a native speaker might do.

Now would be a good point to remind ourselves of the forum guidelines, particularly the bit about having respect for others.

I am aware that the French reviwers, for example, will respond to a couple of DNFs with an email to the owner.

That's interesting. I wonder which French reviewers you mean?

I doubt if there is a reviewer anywhere in the world who has time to detect caches whose last 2 logs are DNF, especially since in many cases they will be from two members of the same team, saying something like "we ran out of daylight, will come back".

Our policy in France is to check disabled caches after 2-3 months and see if there's any progress. The action taken varies widely as there are so many factors, but typically the cache will get a friendly Reviewer Note saying "Hi, this cache seems to have problems, is maintenance planned?". That gets copied to the owner and allows potential finders to see that something is going on. We also make similar checks if we get an SBA log. (Aside: I get, on average, one SBA log per month for someone who is in fact logging a find. I can only assume that they think "Needs Archived" means "Cache is so great, it should be in a Hall of Fame".)

I have some sympathy for the idea that the cache mentioned by the OP should probably have been given the "hurry-up" at some point. (Germany actually has a reviewer who does almost nothing us but hunt down long-disabled caches and chase up their owners.) But of course the UK reviewer team has been pretty, ah, busy, and it seems like things are starting to catch up now. :anicute:

I am aware that the French reviwers, for example, will respond to a couple of DNFs with an email to the owner.

That's interesting. I wonder which French reviewers you mean?

I doubt if there is a reviewer anywhere in the world who has time to detect caches whose last 2 logs are DNF, <snip

It was you actually. I thought this log was standard practice and I thought it was a good, efficient service that you had in France. I was obviously wrong. :cute:

Edited to add that IMHO, posting a note on the cache is tantamount to emailing the owner as that is what happens.

Edited again to add that GCGCQ6 could do with checking while you're at it. I emailed a previous finder and I was in the right place but still DNF. The owners haven't logged in for three years. Merci :anicute:

Edited by jerryo

It was you actually. I thought this log was standard practice and I thought it was a good, efficient service that you had in France. I was obviously wrong. :anicute:

That cache is semi-permanently on my watchlist since it gets very few visits and there's always something interesting going on. :cute:

Edited to add that IMHO, posting a note on the cache is tantamount to emailing the owner as that is what happens.

That's a bonus. :wub:

did think the op was a bit out of order having a go at our hard working unpaid reviewers.

(just picking yours to quote)

I, unlike most others who were happy to jump down his throat, didn't read it like that. You must be able to see that stoerti's first language is not English and therefore he may not be able to convey his question in the manner which a native speaker might do.

Now would be a good point to remind ourselves of the forum guidelines, particularly the bit about having respect for others.

So the reviewers, ex reviewers and cache owner were not due that same respect?

Edited again to add that GCGCQ6 could do with checking while you're at it. I emailed a previous finder and I was in the right place but still DNF. The owners haven't logged in for three years. Merci :anicute:

If that's a formal request, please log "Needs Archived" or send me a mail. I stopped using the forums as a filing system some time ago. :cute:

:cute:

So let me get this straight. There's a cache which was replaced by the owner just over two months ago. At the time the owner apologised for the delay and explained that it was due to health problems. Unfortunately the cache has gone missing again since then.

A cacher who hasn't read the listing properly comes to the conclusion (wrongly) that it's been over 9 months since the cache was last checked. Without double-checking his facts he posts a SBA log (not what I would have done, but fair enough). But he then also decides to "name and shame" the cache (and therefore the owner) on the UK forum and criticise the reviewers while he's at it.

Some of us point out that this seems unreasonable, and now it's us that are being criticised? Why? Apparently because the cacher is German and may not be able to convey his question! If I was stoerti then I'd probably be more offended by that than I would be by the direct criticism I'd received! :anicute:

Sometimes this forum feels all upside down and back to front!

Re the original post on this thread from stoerti: All SBA logs are looked at by the Reviewers and a decision taken on whether action is required or not.

SBA logs are the best way to notify the Reviewers that a cache may have an outstanding problem which has not been resolved, following on from previous logs on the cache requesting maintenance.

Thank you

Graculus

(Edited for clarification)

Edited by Graculus

I checked up on the status of a German cache which had recent DNFs by emailing the owner. I received plenty of help for which I was most grateful.

We even met up and had a splendid night out!

Given that English was not their first language we exchanged some strange looks as we frequently misunderstood each other.

O the joys of international geocaching.

Peterstrangeb

I think you're either suited to forums or you're not!

I was genuinely angry about the OP. Using this forum to criticise reviewer/cache/owner was, in my view, wrong, and would have been wrong even if the facts as stated were correct. The fact that the stated facts were wrong, and that the owner had already explained that illness was a factor, just made me grumpier. And I still don't think it's relevant that the OP was from abroad - the language was clear. I'd have have had the same reaction if the post had been made by someone from this country.

But, of course, this:-

Maybe we can be a little 'trigger happy' on this forum!! Could of just ignored the original post and moved on??

is entirely correct. And we all know that two wrongs don't make a right!

I reckon I enjoyed caching a lot more when my spare minutes were used plotting where to place our next cache, rather than using them to read the forums, so I think that's what I'll get back to!

Oh, and I've never really got the hang of smilies... :anibad: