Kidnapped by a geocacher?

Von-Horst

Team Marzipan from N Wales had a Gnome masoct, and he "went travelling" after a recent event. The kidnappers have even set up a GC account for him....Noddy Curtis and he sends back reports...

Funny how he's not been seen for a few weeks.... hmmmmm!

What you didn't see him at the Mega :D he signed the Mega Event Log Book as

Noddy Curtis A3456N gnomeland [actual location disguised :D ] I'm sure he had a fine time :(

Hazel has been on the track of the gnomenappers for weeks :D, my bet is that it's a smoke screen to hide the fact that Noddy is her lodger :(

my bet is that it's a smoke screen to hide the fact that Noddy is her lodger :D

Oh if only.... As far as I know, Gnomes do not break everything in the house when I go away!!!

(and I'm guessing that a Gnome's bedroom wouldn't smell like a teenage boys' room either!!!!)

Noddy is still at large... I have absolutely no idea where he is, but I DO have my suspicions!!

Must be slow news day. This story just made the national TV news in the USA.

Folk in the U.S. may already be familiar with the concept of the Traveling Gnome, one of the trademarks of Travelocity and also featured as part of Travelocity's sponsorship of The Amazing Race (which can be seen on Living in the UK).

Of course, they're copying the film Amélie, where in the film, Amélie swipes her dad's gnome and gives it to her air-hostess friend who periodically sends pictures of the gnome in various locations around the world before returning it.

This story, and variants of it, has been around for years. As the most recent instance does appear on first sight to be genuine (though some of those photos look a bit fake... rather like the fake locationless cache photos with the superimposed hand with GPS), perhaps on this occasion the gnome-napper was inspired by the urban legends?

This story, and variants of it, has been around for years.

It even made it onto Coronation Street, I remember ... ahem sorry ... a friend tells me that they remember when Derek's gnome got kidnapped and photographs of it from around the world were sent with ransom notes. My friend seems to recall that Norris was behind it all.

This story, and variants of it, has been around for years.

It even made it onto Coronation Street, I remember ... ahem sorry ... a friend tells me that they remember when Derek's gnome got kidnapped and photographs of it from around the world were sent with ransom notes. My friend seems to recall that Norris was behind it all.

Ahhh, but my source (well actually Mrs C) says that storyline was about 10 to 15 years ago, definitely before May 2, 2000, so Derek and Norris weren't Cachers, which means that this is now off topic, or perhaps it isn't since we could discuss if a concrete Gnome is physically too heavy and big to be a TB...

Would that be on topic?

I did a quick check and there are 100 TBs with Gnome in the name. I wonder if there are any really big ones out there? This one is well prepared for his travels... TB18Q2F

:laughing::):D

Note to Eclectic Penguin...

It appears this practice pre-dates your film reference (2001 movie Amélie), 'Wiki' says...

The tradition was first recorded in Australia in the 1980s. Although not definitive, the following blurb appeared in the Regular Shorts feature of the Sydney Morning Herald of September 24, 1986: 'AN EASTERN suburbs gnome-owner was distressed when she discovered her gnome had been stolen at the weekend. A note was found in its place: "Dear mum, couldn't stand the solitude any longer. Gone off to see the world. Don't be worried, I'll be back soon. Love Bilbo xxx."'