Who is watching when a cache shows 1 user watching?

Skippermark

I'm in disagreement with fellow cachers.

They say that all caches have "1 user(s) watching this cache," and that 1 user is the owner.

I disagree and say that it's someone other than the owner. I've seen plenty of caches that don't show anyone watching them.

They said that's because there's a problem with those cache listings, or it's because the owner is possibly ignoring the cache, but I didn't think an owner can ignore their own cache.

I hope someone can set the record straight and give an official answer.

Didn't I just reply to another thread with the same issue involved?

In some cases, the reviewer will put a watch on a cache to make sure there aren't any problems.

I wish they would put it in an unshared bookmark list (with notification enabled), but perhaps they WANT us to see it's being watched?

Bookmarks have limitations. There are no limitations to watchlists.

They say that all caches have "1 user(s) watching this cache," and that 1 user is the owner.

I disagree and say that it's someone other than the owner. I've seen plenty of caches that don't show anyone watching them.

They said that's because there's a problem with those cache listings, or it's because the owner is possibly ignoring the cache, but I didn't think an owner can ignore their own cache.

If the listing shows that there is "1 user(s) watching this cache." then it is someone other than the current cache owner. Cache Owners do not need to watch their own listings, nor does the system allow it.

Whoever it is, it is anonymous because that is the only option for Watchlist. Bookmark Lists are different, and will show who it is if the bookmark list is set to display such info.

When it comes to monitoring caches after publication, I've used both the Watchlist method and the Bookmark List method depending on the situation. Watchlist is a bit easier to turn off so I use it for times when I just want to see that everything is okay whereas Bookmark is for when I make specific notes and want to gauge feedback in multiple logs.

Didn't I just reply to another thread with the same issue involved?

In some cases, the reviewer will put a watch on a cache to make sure there aren't any problems.

I wish they would put it in an unshared bookmark list (with notification enabled), but perhaps they WANT us to see it's being watched?

Bookmarks have limitations. There are no limitations to watchlists.

HMM...I didn't think of that!

I would have expected one of the perks of being a reviewer to be unlimited bookmark lists, but maybe not?

But, let's see...

Twenty lists...at five hundred entries each...<whips out calculator>...WOW! that's ten thousand possible caches to 'watch' via bookmarks.

To paraphrase Bill Gates...that ought to be enough for anyone!

The last entry in the thread linked by Yossarian is from Quiggle (a reviewer) who says:

When I'm reviewing a cache and working on something with the cache owner, I put it on my watchlist so I see the reviewer notes they leave. After publishing the cache I take it off.

And every single person who said that hss been bitten hard by progress as well as lacking the understanding of the human psychology. If that were true, this site would have never evolved into what it is today and would not have people clamoring for more on a weekly, if not almost daily, basis. :huh:

And every single person who said that hss been bitten hard by progress as well as lacking the understanding of the human psychology. If that were true, this site would have never evolved into what it is today and would not have people clamoring for more on a weekly, if not almost daily, basis. :huh:

Yeah, I hear ya!

That comment was made with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek. :)

I guess we'll never know the answer unless we can somehow get a reviewer poll on the subject. (Or if the ability to view cache-watchers is suddenly enabled.)(Or if the all-powerful Michael cared to comment?)

Either way, I'm not going to loose a lot of sleep over it.

Its not the owner. Many caches have no people watching them. Sometimes its the reviewer sometimes its a cacher that just wants to watch the cache. Sometimes its me :( The owner is NOT automatically put on as watching the cache and I believe that the owners account can NOT watch a cache. As to who is it by name? We never tell. :D

The the all-powerful Michael has spoken!

Edited by Michael

It is the "Eye in the Sky", who could be either Michael, or the Allen Parson's Project.