Cheapest "good" GPS unit...

moraelyn

I have never Geocached before, but it sounds like a lot of fun. The only downside: I don't currently own a GPS unit ;)

I signed up for this site to see if there were any Geocache locations in my area, and there are hundreds, some I walk past everyday, and didn't even know it.

I'm looking for advice on the cheapest unit I could buy, that would still be good to use for geocaching, and wouldn't be too hard to use or learn to use (I've never worked with co-ordinates before) . Looking at all the different types of GPS units out there boggles the mind, when you don't really know what you'd be looking for. From what I gather, it would be good to have a basemap, the ability to add maps, and a cable to connect to my PC to download waypoints.

Any suggestions on what brand/type I should be looking at, on the cheaper side of the scale, would be greatly appreciated. I'm not sure how much time I can devote to geocaching, so I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars :mad:

Thanks,

Moraelyn

Get a cheap Garmin eTrex without maps and find the caches around your hometown. If you decide you like geocaching, you can upgrade to the Garmin 60Cx at a later date.

Thanks for the quick reply ;) I'll have to have a look at my local stores to see who carries that GPS, and what the prices are. I'll check online too I guess, and see if there are any deals. Thanks :mad:

Moraelyn

I'll have to have a look at my local stores to see who carries that GPS, and what the prices are. I'll check online too I guess, and see if there are any deals. Thanks :mad:

Moraelyn

My first several units were slightly used units from Ebay. Also I recommend the Garage sale forum on this site.

we got the magellan triton 300.

when i posted here i ordered it i had a 50 50 good bad choice replys

i am very happy with my choice. got it at walmart.com under $150

for the price i think its great. takes a lil time to learn puts me within 3 feet of coords.

A Garmin eTrex "H" can be had for around $90. The "H" is important as it stand for high sensitivity. - the only real drawback is that it uses a serial connection and many computers do not support that anymore. The Best deal on a USB model is the Garmin eTrex Venture HC - color screen, usb, rugged, some map memory - all for around $135 or so.

Thanks again for all the fast replies. I've been keeping watch on ebay for the eTrex models, and going to check around town when I'm out and about. Seems like if we do end up buying a GPS unit anytime soon, the eTrex will be the one we'll start with. My wife and (well, me mostly:) ) would like to geocache, when we find the time. Seems like there are lots of caches on the walking trails around town that we like, so that would be the best place to start.

A Garmin eTrex "H" can be had for around $90. The "H" is important as it stand for high sensitivity. - the only real drawback is that it uses a serial connection and many computers do not support that anymore. The Best deal on a USB model is the Garmin eTrex Venture HC - color screen, usb, rugged, some map memory - all for around $135 or so.

As Starbrand mentioned the eTrex H is the cheapest. But it doesn't come with a PC cable and is serial. Once you've purchased the cable and USB adapter you are probably in for another $40. So the Venture HC is probably more cost effective. It's a better unit and will cost you about the same as the eTrex H once you've purchased the accessories for the H.

If you want something really cheap that will work, look at the Lowrance iFinder Go. You can probably find it for about $60, but you get what you pay for.

I'd spend a few extra dollars if you do get an eTrex and have a color display -- we have used an eTrex Legend since we started caching in 03 and last year upgraded to an eTrex Cx. The difference is amazing. Like my Blackberry, they also seem to be nearly indestructable, at least in regard to surviving multiple falls onto rocks, pavement, and once into water.

As Starbrand mentioned the eTrex H is the cheapest. But it doesn't come with a PC cable and is serial. Once you've purchased the cable and USB adapter you are probably in for another $40. So the Venture HC is probably more cost effective. It's a better unit and will cost you about the same as the eTrex H once you've purchased the accessories for the H.

If you want something really cheap that will work, look at the Lowrance iFinder Go. You can probably find it for about $60, but you get what you pay for.

I am a fan of the Go (and Go2), but will qualify it. I used a Go for almost 2 years, awesome satellite reception, decent (but not as good as thought once I got another unit) accuracy, and as cheap as Briansnat says. I used to do nothing bit sing it's praises to everyone on forums, but a couple of catches:

1) You can't (easily) download waypoints. There's supposedly a hack (that can be found somewhere on these forums) using NMEA commands and an adapter you can buy from Lowrance.

2) I have started to question the durability of this unit. After about a year, the contrast would be different every time I turned the unit on. I lived with it for about another year, then I saw a "barely used" Go2 (slightly more detail on the map, but just slightly) for just $35 on eBay. But that unit completely died after only one month of use. Now whether it's these units or I was suckered on eBay I'll never know.

I currently use a Garmin Forerunner 205. You can get these for about $150 now. They are really designed for tracking your jogging and biking exploits and I find having it on my wrist like a watch rather than holding a unit or putting it on a neck lanyard is quite convenient. If you would like to use it for that and go caching with it too I highly recommend it. Uses the same super-sensitive SiRF III chip of the Garmin "X" units and you can download waypoints (even at my low level of caching I can appreciate it now).

But if you are only going to use it for caching, I wouldn't get it because: A) Has basically the same B&W "map" as the Etrex and no option to add maps to it, :unsure: Only way to see your current position is to save a waypoint, and C) Can only hold 100 waypoints.

Good luck!

Edited by HaLiJuSaPa

Thanks again for all the info. I think I'll be keeping my eyes opened for either an eTrex Venture HC or eTrex Cx, according to what you folks have said, those seem to be good starter GPS units. I'd prefer not to have to buy extras, just to hook it up to my PC, and those sound like they come with everything I'd need.

I'll be watching Ebay for sure, wish me luck on finding a good deal :unsure:

Moraelyn

Does the Garmin 60 CSx have the high sensitive receiver even though there is no "H" in it's name?

Yes, it does. I has a different chip than the H series, but one that is equally good (if not slightly better, depends on who you ask). Personally, I think the Garmin 60 CSx is the best gps on the market.

That's a great price for the HC. I purchased my daughters the Venture CX for $100.00 each. We do not need the High sensitivity receiver where we live and I have the 60csx. It has been very good for them. They have been able to find the caches without any problems. They just have to remember to keep moving a little bit to keep the arrow pointing in the right direction. It utilizes a USB mini port adapter that doesn't come with the unit but again I had a couple cables already at home that works with no problems.

I have 2..both Garmins...one is the Garmin 72 and it is extremly easy to use the other is a Garmin Etrex H...it cost me $100 (but i am sure you can find it a little cheaper)

The Etrex is dead on the money...as long as they give the correct coordinates..because if they did and it shows that you are "Arriving at Destination" you better watch look down because you are cose to stepping on it.... :D

I have 2..both Garmins...one is the Garmin 72 and it is extremly easy to use the other is a Garmin Etrex H...it cost me $100 (but i am sure you can find it a little cheaper)

The Etrex is dead on the money...as long as they give the correct coordinates..because if they did and it shows that you are "Arriving at Destination" you better watch look down because you are cose to stepping on it.... :D

I am a fan of the Go (and Go2), but will qualify it. I used a Go for almost 2 years, awesome satellite reception, decent (but not as good as thought once I got another unit) accuracy, and as cheap as Briansnat says. I used to do nothing bit sing it's praises to everyone on forums, but a couple of catches:

1) You can't (easily) download waypoints. There's supposedly a hack (that can be found somewhere on these forums) using NMEA commands and an adapter you can buy from Lowrance.

2) I have started to question the durability of this unit. After about a year, the contrast would be different every time I turned the unit on. I lived with it for about another year, then I saw a "barely used" Go2 (slightly more detail on the map, but just slightly) for just $35 on eBay. But that unit completely died after only one month of use. Now whether it's these units or I was suckered on eBay I'll never know.

You got suckered on eBay. The Go2 is an excellant starter unit. Once a newbie gets some experience, you can't go wrong with a higher priced garmin or my own personal favorite; a Lowrance H2O C.

After weighing features and prices, I decided to go with the eTrex Vista Cx. I found one on amazon.com for about $155 including shipping (factory refurbished). The GPSr arrived today, and within 30 minutes I had transferred some nearby caches to the device using the included USB cable; the Garmin software/website made it easy to grab information from geocaching.com based on distance. I set out on foot and within three hours found 7 of the 8 caches I looked for.

The other model I seriously considered was the hcx; in the end, I decided that as I'm just starting out, and will not be under time pressure to lock those satellites, I'd not spend the extra 35% more. I was quite happy with the accuracy of the Cx under today's conditions.