Tent recommendation

slimey

With the upcoming mega event, and associated camping, we're considering upgrading our tent. There's 4 of us (2 adults, 6yr old and 4yr old). Our current tent is looking a bit battered (it has a bit of storm damage and cat-claw damage).

In Argos, catalogue no 340/9237, there's a ProAction Nevada 8 person tent for £160 quid.

Anyone got experience of that tent, or able to recommend something better for the same sort of price? (I can't really go up from that amount)

Thanks,

Simon

Edited by slimey

Not really any help, but others might be interested to know my local Tesco Extra (and probably others!) is selling basic 2-person tents for £3.99. Yes, less than £4. At that price you could leave them as swap items :rolleyes:

If you can find a cache big enough, that is :blink:

S

Edited by slimey
Not really any help, but others might be interested to know my local Tesco Extra (and probably others!) is selling basic 2-person tents for £3.99. Yes, less than £4. At that price you could leave them as swap items :blink:
If you can find a cache big enough, that is :rolleyes:

S

Or something worth £4 to swap it for :blink::antenna: Edited by Simply Paul

I have had some experience with these tents and especialy pro action tents and i have found that they break easily especialy the zipps. i would suggest a eurohike tent especialy the Eurohike Windsor. this seems to fit your needs as you could have seperate bedrooms for your children or you could have a seperate room for storage. this tent also allows you to sit up at night even if it rains. also it is relativly easy to pitch. it comes in under budget at £129.99 at millets. http://www.millets.co.uk/Camping/Tents/Win...uct/095608.aspx

Hope this helps.

Labtech28

Well, we've just been to visit Attwolls near Gloucester, and have fallen in love with the Vango Colorado 800 DLX - RRP £300, they had it for £259, and I've found it online for £199.

I'd much rather have a name I've heard of (Vango), rather than what sounds like Argos' own brand (ProAction).

Okay, it's a bit more than I'd planned to spend, but I'd rather spend £30 quid more and get a tent we're happy with, than tolerate a tent that we got based on price :o (Well, that's my justification, anyway)

S

I've got two ProAction tents - one being a 5 berth and the other a 8 berth Nevada. The inner tents are interchangeable so I can use different combinations depending on which members of the family are joining me.

Both tents have been used several times over, mainly at geocaching camping events, and have stood up exceptionally well. I broke a couple of poles due to my own clumsiness trying to put the tent up on my own when it was raining and windy, but the poles are interchangeable too so no rush to get replacements. I have several other tents also but the ProAction Nevada 8 is pretty much my favourite I think and I tend to use that one the most. There are far superior brands about, but naturally you will pay more for them.

We went to a huge camping exhibition recently and out of all the tents we saw I thought the Sunncamp ones were pretty good and will definitely consider buying one of those next time around. For me, I like a tent I can stand up in all around so tunnel tents suit me best. Nothing worse than having to keep crouching down and getting a bad back. Good luck :mad:

Edited: to add ... just remembered I've got a ProAction 12 berth too (dome style) which gets used by my teenager daughter mainly when she goes camping with her mates. We used it at Shrops 2005 and Go-Ape in the Lakes - it too is doing very well. ProAction is indeed Argos' own brand name I think ... they may have been Lichfield in a previous life. ;)

Edited by The Cache Hoppers

My friends have got a Vango Colorado and it gets LOTS of use. Theirs seems to be the tent we all end up in when it's raining (and I only have my itty bitty tent with me). Putting it up for a weekend every other weekend takes it's toll on tents, but theirs is a couple of years old and is as good as new. I also rate Coleman tents quite highly.

I've got one of those pop-up tents, and I wouldn't use it unless it was for a single night. Instead, you can get a tent like the Coleman Bispace 300 which can be up in 5 minutes and pegged out in a further 10. For this, you get a large sleeping area and a separate living area which you can stand up in. It's double skin and has loads of storage pockets. I'm not saying it's the ideal tent for you, but I would honestly avoid a QuickPitch style tent. They really don't stand up to rain at all, either :mad:

I have one of those pop up tents (the three man) and I think it's great. It withstood 65 mph winds and lashing rain and I didn't even get damp, so I dont know where PuP gets that idea from. If you guy it out correctly, there should be no problems (and wasn't that at the very same event where it rained in Pup's tent? :mad: )

It's quick to put up and quick to put down once you get your head round the folding technique (I watched the online video). I frequently use my one for a couple of nights away and it's warm and cosy.

The only thing against them is they are bit small, so if you like to bring the 3 piece suite and the kitchen sink etc, you will be disappointed.

Slimey ... Laughalot had a brand spanking new tunnel style tent at Piratemania .... it was lovely and considering it was the first time she had used it, it was pitched pretty quickly. Had the advantage of a built in groundsheet - I don't know which one it was or how much it cost but there were five of them in there and they had plenty of space. I know she deliberated long and hard over which one to get - it might be worth sending her an email. :mad:

I also rate Coleman tents quite highly.

I use a Coleman 'Boa'. It's only small (but it's very pretty) and at just ove 3 Kg, it's light enough to back-back. It's quick to put up and take down, very stable in high winds and totally waterproof. They're designed for extreme conditions and have been used on Everest expeditions very successfully. Cheap, they ain't !! :unsure:

Well, having finally got back from the Mega (and a couple of extra days over by the coast at Robin Hood's Bay), I can say that we're very happy with the Colorado. It's a bit of a pain in the a**e to put up and take down, but once it's up it's very spacious, and survived the Yorkshire rain and wind very well.

Thanks all,

Simon