Camping and kayaking

Any of you backpacking, geocaching people like to get out and canoe/kayak camp? I got an advanced element convertible frame inflatable kayak and love it. I'm planning a float trip down part of the colorado river from glen canyon dam to lees ferry (flat water) with a few nights to camp along the river for me and the wife. What do you have? like it or hate it? Where do you kayak camp?

Got CJ a 10.5' Old Town Dirigo for her birthday. I got a 14' fishermans model.

Much larger than the norm in our area, but planned for just what you're talkin' about . Sounds like fun !

Places for camping our rivers are limited though and CJ's investigating the possibilities.

Many more options when we hit other states, "visiting" relatives.

We're both able to safely carry 70 pounds of "comfort/car camping" gear with these, a feat no where near possible backpacking.

Now if we can only get a weekend off together...

Look up "Huron History Mystery Tour"...that is what I'll be doing on my next 4-day weekend with Michelle (end of July). She has 3 kayaks and we'll be using the Pelican and Otter. I plan on getting the $500 Advanced Elements inflatable Expedition Touring Kayak sometime soon...to have it available in the back of my Jeep "whenever".

Look up "Huron History Mystery Tour"...that is what I'll be doing on my next 4-day weekend with Michelle (end of July). She has 3 kayaks and we'll be using the Pelican and Otter. I plan on getting the $500 Advanced Elements inflatable Expedition Touring Kayak sometime soon...to have it available in the back of my Jeep "whenever".

If I can suggest based on the reviews I've read and my experience with my kayak spend a few extra bucks ($50)and go with the advanced element advancedframe convertible kayak. It can be used in tandom and solo and is a great kayak. I will be heading out in it this weekend

I'm a canoer. Maybe someday I'll get a kayak, but I went with a canoe because its a bit more versatile than a kayak.

Right now I have a Mad River Explorer 16. Very good all around boat, but a little on the heavy side when portaging it or putting it on the car roof.

I'm looking to perhaps buy a Prospector. Wenonah, Nova Craft and Bell make nice versions of the Prospector, which is probably the most versatile canoe design ever They no canoe can do everything well, but the Prospector comes close.

is our Mad River Explorer in action on the Oswegatchie River in the Adirondacks.

Here we are with our Exlporer loaded up and ready for our 3 day trip on the Oswegatchie.

Adirondack2.jpg

Today I took my Victory for a 100 mile ride and picked up a permit for overnight parking at the State Recreation area and camping permits at the canoe camping areas of Hudson Mills and Lower Huron Metroparks. Our itinerary is set and I am waiting for Michelle's arrival with the kayaks Thursday night. Will be heading out Friday in the early A.M. Will try and take lots of pictures...and post a few here next week.

Roadtorque...the Advanced Elements inflatable Expedition kayak I mentioned above is an Advanced Frame model.

Edited by victorymike

Well, we completed the 22 cache Huron History Mystery Tour series (and did a few other island caches along the way). I fought off a cold for 3 of the 4 days (one night/morning was torture with that cold). We paddled between 55 and 60 miles (gotta download the tracks from my GPS for exact mileage). Saw lots of great blue herons, snowy egrets, kingfishers, other LBBs (little brown birds), and hundreds of jumping fish. It was an awesome time. I didn't take as many pictures as I usually do...here are some.

b382bfd6-49b2-4e64-9d1b-6646e8004926.jpg

73ce4a7b-25e5-4584-80db-0f5696786a69.jpg

Crossing under I-275 and into Willow Metropark around mile 50

c9e02e37-8b37-4734-a4f1-98b16b3502a4.jpg

990c49c5-732d-48e1-8d3e-40edaba24f8e.jpg

This portage was a joke. The place was filthier than most landfills and the stairs were gone...handrail was still in place tho.

b82dfdc2-f9d7-45bc-94c5-177c3cf9f8ed.jpg

3165609d-ae1c-4547-a4ef-83d2892ab9c0.jpg

One of the nicest portages was at Barton Dam.

17b70181-b340-4e61-aee7-b4cf0ed7d533.jpg

d16bc15d-b38f-4aa6-aa77-f66471344f47.jpg

2e427444-5b62-48a7-8c4f-88af3f695762.jpg

I've got a Dagger Blackwater 12.0 Love it. I spend most of my time kayaking on the Missouri River and Canyon Ferry Lake.

050277lg.jpg

Looks like a nice boat. How well does it track? I cant see a skeg on it, is there one?

Yes, has a skeg (mine does). Tracks nicely on the lakes, pretty good on the rivers (I'm talking big rivers with a healthy flow). The hardest part for me is getting a tight turn. I really have to torque my paddle a couple times to get a nice, quick, clean, sharp turn :)

Plenty of leg room and the cockpit is large too. Seat is adjustable and you can inflate it a bit to help with comfort (I have a few burst discs, so this helps alot). Foot peddles inside are adjustable and there is plenty of room to stow your gear for camping trips. The stow compartment I've never had a problem with water getting inside until I drip it in myself :ph34r: I also found (during a class and practicing) that if you should fall out/tip, it's fairly easy to get yourself back in with the aid of a paddle flotation device. Just remember to wear sunscreen on your legs, I didn't use enough the first time I went out and got fried.

Good luck choosing :huh:

The wife and I have a pair of Dagger's 15'6" with adjustable skegs, and dual bulkheads. Works great, the only thing is now shopping for lighter and smaller camp gear to take with. I enjoy the Crow Wing river in Minnesota along with the BWCA and Voyagers up north.

MMMM.... a subject near and dear to me since I met my wife on a geocaching/paddle/camping trip.

Back then I used a canoe which I still have:

8fdce217-a84e-4786-bf71-4a81fbf2b3aa.jpg

The ugly canoe on the far right is mine, as is most of the gear piled around the sign.

This was our campsite:

005c8c4e-8df7-4407-9842-f4eccf8c4c7b.jpg

Our wedding was also a geocaching/paddle/camping event held on the same island we met on.

51a36f67-9e48-4620-bd7e-a47a6f7e38d4.jpg

The morning after (what a mess to cleanup, uhg!)

bfa59776-c14f-44d7-85f3-4a3eb5994601.jpg

We bought ourselves a pair of Wilderness Systems Tsunamis as wedding gifts to ourselves which are perfect for weekend trips.

8947e318-c28a-4e52-a21c-9ea7431e0306.jpg

Canoe/kayak camping is fun. Depending on your boat, you can generally bring along a few more luxury items then you can backpacking.

MMMM.... a subject near and dear to me since I met my wife on a geocaching/paddle/camping trip.

The ugly canoe on the far right is mine, as is most of the gear piled around the sign.

This was our campsite:

Our wedding was also a geocaching/paddle/camping event held on the same island we met on.

We bought ourselves a pair of Wilderness Systems Tsunamis as wedding gifts to ourselves which are perfect for weekend trips.

Canoe/kayak camping is fun. Depending on your boat, you can generally bring along a few more luxury items then you can backpacking.

Good for you two. The new boats look really nice as well. I would love to go to a kayak/canoe geocaching event. That sounds like too much fun

This was our campsite:

Good for you two. The new boats look really nice as well. I would love to go to a kayak/canoe geocaching event. That sounds like too much fun

I've been toting around a Free Spirit fiberglass canoe (15'6") for about 10 years now. Weighs about 55-60lbs. It's a relic of the Sears having cool stuff days, back in the 80's. Got it at a yard sale with two good paddles for $50 because I couldn't afford a good royalex built one. I've given it a thorough beating over the years and recoated the interior with a combination of sand and flexible boat paint once and it keeps on ticking. I honestly thought it would be destroyed by now, but it just keeps on going. Used mostly in lakes and on the delaware, but I'll probably have it up on the susqui before the summer's past.

I worked for a few years on the Delaware River as a porter for Kitatinny though and they use all Old Town products. Having seen what happens to rented equipment and having taken participation in some "product stress testing" with permission from a no nonsense boss, I'm definitely going to purchase one of these if mine ever takes the dirt-nap. I've seen them turned completely inside out and even dropped from the roof of a two story building without anything more than some scratching or discoloration from the experience. Of course the one that got turned inside out needed a new yoke aftword, but the shell itself was fine.

If I ever win the lottery though (or maybe retire), this is my dream :D

molitor.jpg

Like that monster coffee pot? :D

michelle

Heh, no. That thing is for extended camping with the truck. Here's a pic of what she's talking about:

dscf4789am7.jpg

Some other luxuries in that pic that don't make it paddlecamping include the the double burner stove (hanging-bottom showing at top of pic), double mantle lantern, belgian waffle iron (left of stove, under the pot), popcorn popper (under table) and self-standing folding hammock (because you are not allowed to tie ANYTHING to a tree in a CT state park or forest). Just because I like to tent camp doesn't always mean I have to rough it for 2 weeks!

Edited by Mopar

We have a 12' fiberglass Chief canoe. Absolutely love it, can't stand aluminum boats. When there's three of us we pop in another seat, but it does just fine for the Pooch and I and all our gear.

b4622f9f-0aa7-457a-b741-382a8f8dcf3f.jpg

Though I've always been a canoe person, I recently took a couple kayaking lessons and now I'm hooked. I've been looking at doing a some three to four day trips down in the Everglades and I'll definetly be using a kayak. :D

I paddle a 17' Dagger Sea Kayak, and my wife has a 16' one. We generally day-paddle around the mid-Chesapeake Bay area on the Eastern Shore, and I have taken mine as far as well out into the Delaware Bay, Upstate NY and Quebec. I haven't camped out of the kayak but once, on the bay side of Assateasgue Island, but I also have a 16' Old Town Penobscot that I've used for camping on the Potomac River (MD and WVa) and in the NY Adirondacks. And once, a long time ago, I spent a week canoing with a history-buff friend around the Oswegatchi River in the Adirondacks in an authentic birch bark canoe, dressed in 18th century French fur trader garb, using only 18th century equipment. We didn't run into many people, but the couple of other paddlers we did meet were pretty weirded out, especially when we pulled in to a isolated shore landing late one night well after midnight to set up a primative camp. I have pictures somewhere, and if I can find them, I'll post a couple.

Edited by Metaphor