Unsual "swag"

Today I got to go caching for the first time in a long while. My geo-dog has been ill and I don't have the heart to cache without him. So today I think he is doing well enough to go for a bit of a walk for a fairly new cache (micro) in a close-by park. I knew from the cache description where the general location was. I knew it must be on the observation deck recently constructed in this park. It's a low, flattened mound in the middle of a large meadow constructed of built-up dirt and fine gravel with a winding walkway lined with cobblestones. Two stone benches sit at the top, lined by more cobblestones, so you can sit and chill or maybe birdwatch or overlook the soccer fields. It's reminiscent of Stonehenge. Pretty cool. So I'm eagerly marching up the ramp to where I know the cache must be.

Then I see something crumpled on the ground near the cobblestone lined edge. I went over and looked and...it's..it's a bra. :D A black bra. Oooookkkkk. Then I see something else off the "deck" in the grass. Ohmigod it's a pair of pink thongs! :( I thought to myself "I hope this isn't swag for the cache...." I'm scratching my head because, while I can figure out how these items might have gotten there, I can't quite grasp why the owner didn't take their "belongings" with them when they left. Undies aren't cheap!

So I was trying to look totally cool about underwear being at Ground Zero...the GPS is looking like its telling the truth and showing the cache near the benches. I swarm all over the benches. It HAS to be on the benches. I did overturn a number of cobblestones near the benches but there were tons of cobblestones! It's hot. I'm worrying my dog is getting too hot. (I do find an excellent hidey-hole for a micro but, alas, its not there.) I am about to give up. I give one last glance to the bra in its casually lacey pose against a cobblestone....and I notice one of the rocks there looks...slightly disturbed. Oh please god no. Could it be? Awww...couldn't be. What are the odds?? I walk over and look at the rock. Miiight be... I take a deep breath, bend over and grab the rock trying to pretend there isn't someone's personal support device RIGHT THERE. Yup...there is the cache container underneath that stone. EWW.

Now. Was that random...or intentional? When I got home I checked the logs and did see where the previous cacher made an oblique mention of the unmentionables. So...now I'm thinking that perhaps the location of the "support device" was intentionally moved over to the cache location (probably using an anti-germ rod such as a stick) as a subtle (but evil) clue for the next cacher....which was me. I mean, really! What are the odds of that..er...item...landing right smack on the cache location out of the entire area?

So I collected a smiley today...from a cache under a black bra near some pink thongs. This one will go down in the cache history books for me. Needless to say, since cachers are supposed to "leave it exactly as you found it"...I did just that. Next cacher to come along will be in for a surprise. lol Maybe they will have some CITO bags....

:)

On a side note, the cache container turned out to be a small flat flip-top breath mint container. Log was totally soggy. The hider hasn't been caching long and I figured perhaps didn't understand "water resistant" yet so...I sent a polite email suggesting a container change. I figured its the best way for him/her to learn those kinds of things don't make good cache containers. I hope they take the suggestion in the spirit it was intended (improving their hides).

(Dang it...posted in the wrong area...can a mod please move this? Sorry! Forgot what forum I was in.)

Edited by PlantAKiss

I remember a great park that i used to mtn bike in growing up. Late at night on the weekends many people would sneak out to "be friendly" with their friends. I saw different "support devices" all the time out there.

Always amazed me too. guess they were in a hurry.

Ha! that's a great caching story! Atleast it wasn't the pink thongs on top of the container...ew! I have found similar items close to caches, and am amazed at the places people will venture to for their extra-curricular activities. :ph34r: But that was pretty funny that the previous finder left you a "clue" to the cache location! :P

When caching with a friend we found a LARGE rubber...um...toy about 5 feet from a cache. And it was wrapped in red cloth that turned out to be LARGE underwear. I thought it might be the cache first and nudged it with my foot. Ewwwwwwwwwww.

The worst part? It was about 10 feet into the woods at a car pool area. Who.....why? Oh man....more therapy for me now recalling this....

Seems like a good case for CITO instead of "leaving it" for the next cacher to do so.

Umm...I wasn't exactly prepared to find "very personal objects" on my cache hunt. Considering my main objective of the day was to get my sick dog out for a little bit and considering I was going for ONE quick cache in an area familiar to me that I know to be very clean, I was not decked out in full caching regalia including CITO bags. I had me, my dog and a tiny backpack with water for us both. I really was not too keen on stuffing these objects in my backpack, nor carrying them with my bare hands, nor walking through the park with them hanging off a stick. :sad: If there had been a trash can nearby, I could have removed them but I needed to get my dog home. He was my priority, not the undies. The cacher before me didn't seem to mind leaving them for me...

Did the ones you found look like the thong we found near a cache?

lol No...these were a tad fancier. Although I must admit, I didn't exactly study them! Perhaps its a sig card of sorts... :)

Seems like a good case for CITO instead of "leaving it" for the next cacher to do so.

Umm...I wasn't exactly prepared to find "very personal objects" on my cache hunt. Considering my main objective of the day was to get my sick dog out for a little bit and considering I was going for ONE quick cache in an area familiar to me that I know to be very clean, I was not decked out in full caching regalia including CITO bags. I had me, my dog and a tiny backpack with water for us both. I really was not too keen on stuffing these objects in my backpack, nor carrying them with my bare hands, nor walking through the park with them hanging off a stick. :P If there had been a trash can nearby, I could have removed them but I needed to get my dog home. He was my priority, not the undies. The cacher before me didn't seem to mind leaving them for me...

Did the ones you found look like the thong we found near a cache?

lol No...these were a tad fancier. Although I must admit, I didn't exactly study them! Perhaps its a sig card of sorts... :P

Being a dog owner myself, I understand the priorities but it appears the final justification was "because someone else did it." Where were the little baggies for picking up after the dog? Mine are always attached the leash and the leash goes with us everytime I take my geopuppy out. They are big enough. You don't need to worry about answering me. This is more along the lines to think of for the next time.

Being a dog owner myself, I understand the priorities but it appears the final justification was "because someone else did it." Where were the little baggies for picking up after the dog? Mine are always attached the leash and the leash goes with us everytime I take my geopuppy out. They are big enough. You don't need to worry about answering me. This is more along the lines to think of for the next time.

My my thoust assume too much from my brief and singular scenario.

I am a responsible dog owner and I do clean up after my dog. And before you assume my dog was free roaming too... I also keep my dog leashed at the park, as per the rules and the law, despite the fact that 9 in 10 dogs there are running loose. I had no "little baggies" because my dog had already relieved himself at home and I knew he wouldn't have that need in the short time we were going to be out. I have those little baggies that attach to the leash as well but they were not on the leash at the time because I took it off for the vet visit and didn't see a need to replace it for this quick trip.

I'm not "worried" about answering you and I have plenty of things to "think of" that are more important than underwear or poop. My dog did not poop in the park by the way just so you won't worry about that.

You can try to make me feel like a crappy cacher for not cleaning up underwear all you want but it's not going to work. I have picked up trash, replaced full logs, cleaned up wet containers, logged DNFs, notified owners of damage, not disturbed the land, rehid caches left out in the open, followed all the rules for placing a cache and followed all the geocaching rules as close to the T as I can. But...I'm not going to clean up somebody else's UNDERWEAR. If that makes me an irresponsible cacher, well then you can check "Does not clean up park underwear" in the "Bad Geocacher" column. I don't think it will affect my "grade" too much overall with the numerous checkmarks in the "Good Geocacher" column.

Other people responded with similar experiences. Have you questioned all of them to see if they CITOed the items they found?

Geez! Can't one make what was intended to be a slightly humorous post without someone finding SOMETHING to jump on you about?? :rolleyes: Do you read everybody's posts and look for some tiny negative to point out? Or can you just take the topic for what it was intended to be?

My bad for posting at all.

My my thoust assume too much from my brief and singular scenario.

I am a responsible dog owner and I do clean up after my dog. And before you assume my dog was free roaming too... I also keep my dog leashed at the park, as per the rules and the law, despite the fact that 9 in 10 dogs there are running loose. I had no "little baggies" because my dog had already relieved himself at home and I knew he wouldn't have that need in the short time we were going to be out. I have those little baggies that attach to the leash as well but they were not on the leash at the time because I took it off for the vet visit and didn't see a need to replace it for this quick trip.

I'm not "worried" about answering you and I have plenty of things to "think of" that are more important than underwear or poop. My dog did not poop in the park by the way just so you won't worry about that.

You can try to make me feel like a crappy cacher for not cleaning up underwear all you want but it's not going to work. I have picked up trash, replaced full logs, cleaned up wet containers, logged DNFs, notified owners of damage, not disturbed the land, rehid caches left out in the open, followed all the rules for placing a cache and followed all the geocaching rules as close to the T as I can. But...I'm not going to clean up somebody else's UNDERWEAR. If that makes me an irresponsible cacher, well then you can check "Does not clean up park underwear" in the "Bad Geocacher" column. I don't think it will affect my "grade" too much overall with the numerous checkmarks in the "Good Geocacher" column.

Other people responded with similar experiences. Have you questioned all of them to see if they CITOed the items they found?

Geez! Can't one make what was intended to be a slightly humorous post without someone finding SOMETHING to jump on you about?? :rolleyes: Do you read everybody's posts and look for some tiny negative to point out? Or can you just take the topic for what it was intended to be?

My bad for posting at all.

Testy testy.

I wan't out to make you look bad. Some people overlook the obvious. I was merely pointing out what could have been overlooked as an easy method for handling an obviously CITO situation that was ignored, not by just you, but others as well. Nor do I preach what I don't practice. Believe me (or not) when I say I've dealt with worse than someone's underwear.

I'll add it only takes one person to make a difference when a crowd chooses to ignore.

Edited by TotemLake