Cacher hoarding travel bugs

ClassicRider

Glass Houses. Looks like a Jeep prison you're running with the rules you have applied on the cache.

Now v-hunter, what would influence you to investigate the OP's profile, and see that he owns a Jeep Prison? ;)

That is a bonafide prison though, and the cache was muggled a couple of times, and several imprisoned jeeps lost. I wonder how it has been "stocked" in the past, jeep hoarding perhaps? :laughing:

If I lived closer I think I would stage a "PRISON BREAK" on a regular bases. ;)

SS

Ah, travel bug hoarders, gotta hate 'em.

See, this is why God gave us SAMPLE geocoins - if ya gotta hoard, hoard those, and respect other people's property.

I'm on my way to drop off a geocoin at my own cache, and stuff like this really makes me reconsider it (yes, it's my coin, not someone else's).

See, this is why God gave us SAMPLE geocoins - if ya gotta hoard, hoard those, and respect other people's property.

I'm on my way to drop off a geocoin at my own cache, and stuff like this really makes me reconsider it (yes, it's my coin, not someone else's).

I've seen a lot of people release laminated pictures of their geocoins... that way if someone steals it no big deal, just print out another and start over again. Keep the original in your collection!

I've seen a lot of people release laminated pictures of their geocoins... that way if someone steals it no big deal, just print out another and start over again. Keep the original in your collection!

Most people think paper copies of geocoins are lame.

See this thread: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=197664

Most people think paper copies of geocoins are lame.

See this thread: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=197664

They are lame, but I still don't blame people for resorting to that...

If this stealing is true for coins is it also true for TBs? What are the chances of my TB working its way around the world and back to Central Oregon? The planet doesn't seem to be a very nice place right now.

If this stealing is true for coins is it also true for TBs? What are the chances of my TB working its way around the world and back to Central Oregon? The planet doesn't seem to be a very nice place right now.

Sometimes stolen so never release any you aren't willing to lose.

If the traveler is pretty-shiny thing it might get stolen, but it's more likely to be muggled, destroyed along with the cache or retrieved and neglected to be replaced by some short time cacher.

The nice thing about bugs is you can replaced them quite easily and most never know the difference. Coins on the other hand...

Sometimes stolen so never release any you aren't willing to lose.

If the traveler is pretty-shiny thing it might get stolen, but it's more likely to be muggled, destroyed along with the cache or retrieved and neglected to be replaced by some short time cacher.

The nice thing about bugs is you can replaced them quite easily and most never know the difference. Coins on the other hand...

I doubt I will keep trying if and when I lose this one. In fact, the further it may go on the journey the more disappointment I will feel when it disappears. Oh, well, let's just see what happens.

Who would be stupid enough to log a pick-up of a coin and then just keep it? Wouldn't it be smarter to just take the coin and never tell anybody you even visited ther cache?

Obviously these people know how to log a coin, they just choose not to. Obviously these people are not layed-up in a coma, they are actively caching with access to a computer. Simply put, they are thieves stealing other people's property.

Can you post a note on a local board asking if anybody knows a cacher "imathief" and explain you have not been able to contact him/her. I have seen that successfully done here before for other reasons.

I think a polite reminder from an

'official" person would be much more effective.

Who would be stupid enough to log a pick-up of a coin and then just keep it? Wouldn't it be smarter to just take the coin and never tell anybody you even visited ther cache?

Obviously these people know how to log a coin, they just choose not to. Obviously these people are not layed-up in a coma, they are actively caching with access to a computer. Simply put, they are thieves stealing other people's property.

Can you post a note on a local board asking if anybody knows a cacher "imathief" and explain you have not been able to contact him/her. I have seen that successfully done here before for other reasons.

I think a polite reminder from an

'official" person would be much more effective.

I asked an "official" person to be the 3rd party and to help intervene, and basically I got told that it's not their place to and won't.

I agree with you- he's a thief. Problem is, we have no police with jurisdiction and no incentive to make the guy play right.

One problem with hoarders, is that they usually take the traveler without logging it. I was feeling a bit paranoid for a while as bugs I'd dropped off, disappeared right after I dropped them - and I was the last person to log them. One even disappeared when I went out of state and dropped it!

If a hoarder's inventory is posted publicly, they'll just stop logging the bugs as picked up. They'll likely just take them (as I'm sure some do already), keep them, and nobody really knows what happened to them but the last person known to have dropped it off.

Unfortunately this is a part of the game. You release your bug, you take your chances. It's frustrating, to be sure - I've got a few MIA bugs out there - but that's a risk we know when we send them out there.

Jenn

I agree that a number of people do not understand how to handle TBs or GCs, but you also have those people that just go out and visit a cache and pull them without logging. I have already seen this in action as 2 caches were literally next 2 each other and this person logged in at 1 cache but not the other that had a GC. Needless 2 say the GC was missing out of that cache. Some people will not play by the rules.

I posted this in another thread, but it works here too.

Please remember that 65% of the time people just do not know how to log them, 45% of the time they forget to log them, 39.72% of the time parents do not know their kids rifled through the cache and they didn't see them grab a travel bug, 11.6% of the time people haven't gotten home to log yet, 3.8% of the time people logged them into the wrong cache but no longer have the tracking number to fix it, and 95% of the time 30% of the statistics are made up on the spot.