Two Units?

mikemaupin

As some of you know I have a TOMTOM ONE- XL-S and am alredy thinking about a second, no, I dont have much money but due my health it has cut my hobby options down a lot so I dont spend a lot on other things, and I haven't found my first cache yet.

I am thinking of adding a hand held unit for off road and I dont get off road very far at all. Folks in your opinions what is a really good unit in the price range of 300 to 400 bucks, maybe 500. There is a coupla of features on the tomtom that I like. I like the "Show route Demo", could do with out that since my TOMTOM has it but that would be nice, and the Text to Voice (a must) that calls out the streets and roads by name. Preferably this unit could be used in a car also. I would like fast updating and high sensitivity and accuracy. I need high volume also and whatever else you fine folks recomend. The largest display I can get so I can see it, probably cant get this in a hand held. I dont want to buy and later say boy I wish I had got this one or that one later on. I don't even know if they mak a unit with these featuers. All sugestions will be greatly appreciated. I dont want to start any disagreements here just need the info to help me get a good unit. Emails are welcome, if my email isn't shown then it is <mikemaupin@embarqmail.com>.

I guess I am rushing things a bit but I think I am going to like this adventure, especially since the fellow in another post told me how much it had helped him since he started in this hobby with much the same health problems as me. Thanks alot folks I will be eagerly waiting your replys, Mike

If you can afford that kind of money I would suggest the Garmin 60CSx. It can do auto routing as well as go off road. Very rugged handheld that is water proof. It has expandable memory and very good reception. I don't think there is a better handheld out there at the moment.

El Diablo

If you can afford that kind of money I would suggest the Garmin 60CSx. It can do auto routing as well as go off road. Very rugged handheld that is water proof. It has expandable memory and very good reception. I don't think there is a better handheld out there at the moment.

El Diablo

I'll look it up and read about it, thanks, Mike

El Diablo

I'll look it up and read about it, thanks, Mike

El Diablo, what map would I have to buy here in east tn or is it usable for my location as it comes? Mike

You'll have to buy the city navigator, or City select. I forget which one they are using now. It comes with basic maps....meaning major roads. If you already have a Tom Tom you might not need to add the detailed maps. even if you do your looking at about 400.00 the last I checked, and that's been awhile. Might be cheaper now.

El Diablo

For a bigger screen in a handheld, you might consider a Lowrance. Sporting goods stores would have them: they're popular for hunting and fishing. Something like an H2O C might work well for you.

Since you already have the Tom Tom for the car, you could get a handheld for the trail that doesn't have all the bells and whistles for driving.

Two units are great, but trying to do "double duty" on just one unit has it's drawbacks no matter which way you go. Check out My Webpage to see how to make your Tomtom work better "off road". If you get a hand held, spend your money on topos, not street maps. You can't beat the Tomtom for road navigation!

I put City Navigator on my Garmin Vista HCx, and it does work, but it is nearly "un-useable" in the car because of the small screen and limited button access.

Edited by 1XL-on-XR650L

I have a Lowrance and LOVE it. I have a b/w screen but it's not too bad, but I could definitely see how the color screen would be nice. I chose it b/c at the time, it was the best buy by far when I factored in buying the street maps as well and I liked the really big display. I have an older iFinder Pro which they don't make anymore (not as waterproof as the iFinder H2O but I believe the rest of it's the same).

I too use a Tom Tom for the usual navigation and caching...It works well for the park and grabs, etc....I have a little Garmin Legend for the woods and trails...it doesn't have the bells and whistles but I don't need them. It points the way and gets me close almost all of the time. I don't think that spending $500 would get me anymore performance than spending the $105 I did for the Legend

Everyone has their own special way of caching so everybody has to satisfy themselves...My money in my pocket satisfies me!

I too use a Tom Tom for the usual navigation and caching...It works well for the park and grabs, etc....I have a little Garmin Legend for the woods and trails...it doesn't have the bells and whistles but I don't need them. It points the way and gets me close almost all of the time. I don't think that spending $500 would get me anymore performance than spending the $105 I did for the Legend

Everyone has their own special way of caching so everybody has to satisfy themselves...My money in my pocket satisfies me!

All these replys have been a wealth of info and I thank you. They have made me rethink my hasty decision, you folks are spot on plus like I said, I dont have much cash and I cant justfy anything I do hardly ever.

I didnt get to go search today but heres what I did, I went out in my yard and made me a cache. I wrote down the coords and went back to my starting point, I cleared everything and typed in the destnitation coords and started toward my destnitation kinda off at an angle, as I walked I watched how the coords got closer to my destnitaion coords. When i got there the N set was off by 3 digits and the W set was off by one, I was in an arms length of my dest. I repeated this execerise and this time they were spot on and I was truly amazed, this seems very good to me, is it? I the unit stabalize fo 30 sec each time.

So what I am going to do now is get some actual hunts under my belt and I bet alot of the questions I have will answer themselvs and I wont have to bug you folks much. Mike

Mike,

My best advice when doing a hunt, when you get close to the COORDS, stop and allow the GPS unit to settle for say 30 seconds to a minute, maybe a little more. You will be surprised at how letting it settle by just standing in one place will get the COORDS to be closer.

Today I let Wapahani Kid #1 have at a cache today and she figured it out in no time at all. She even saw how letting the unit settle by just standing in one spot for a short time, would get you solid coords.

If I was closer to you I would suggest a first time "sure grab". You should look around and see what you have. You might find a quick one.....

Mike, if you can, can you post the COORDS for close to your house? Perhaps I could locate a nice cache close to you? My suggestion would be find a 1 star cache to try out on.

Also, do remember, that most generally the COORDS will only get you close. Very rarely you will get a cache that the COORDS are dead on. I find if it gets me to withing 5 to 10 feet its good enough.

Today had a cache that was off probably 10'. Remember that sometimes people don't place a cache back into its original spot. Over time it can get moved that far if not more.

Mike, if you can, can you post the COORDS for close to your house? Perhaps I could locate a nice cache close to you? My suggestion would be find a 1 star cache to try out on.

Also, do remember, that most generally the COORDS will only get you close. Very rarely you will get a cache that the COORDS are dead on. I find if it gets me to withing 5 to 10 feet its good enough.

Today had a cache that was off probably 10'. Remember that sometimes people don't place a cache back into its original spot. Over time it can get moved that far if not more.

I think thats what I have done but havent looked for a cache yet with my coords set with the right conversions I picked out some grab and go's from the cache page thats within .7 to 1.5 miles from my house and suposedly close to the car. (I couldnt believe there were so many) I plugged them in and ran demos so I know about where they are before I start. I also read the logs and copied all info and cliped it on a clip board to take with me. I have to find someone to go with me in case I was to fall down or get a low sugar, if I fall I need a buddy to get me back on my feet or I need to be close to something to pull up on. I always carry my cell even if I just go out in my yard, I just have to be carefull as I can. Maybe this sport will help me health wise. Thanks for the offer to help me find some spots, if these dont sound then I will post my coords, no problem, just trying to save you'al some trouble, Mike

Wapahani, my home COORDS are N36*26.236 82*27.152. area code 37615

I went back out today and didnt find the cache, with my unit working right. The name of the cache is

E.G.G.S. Frog level, The easy grab guardrail series. Its supposed to be easy and close parking Micro. I didnt know what a Micro was till just now. When I got out of the car I found the exact Coords in about 10 min.The descriptions says : This is a sign only micro. It is supposed to be placed at 9 ft. The original coords were at the end of a guardrail and about 10 ft from the end of the guard rail was a sign on a steel post that I could not reach the top of. I checked the sign best I could and up and down the guard rail but didnt find anything By this time the original coords had changeg by about 6ft further down the guard rail, the micro is supposed to be magnetic. It was really hot so I came home till I can get someone with better eyes to go with me. After finding what size micros can be thet are off my list, I couldnt find one of those if it was in my hand I was looking for a magnetic key box or bigger and I guess it might be. I will go back and try agian though, Mike

I went back out today and didnt find the cache, with my unit working right. The name of the cache is

E.G.G.S. Frog level, The easy grab guardrail series. Its supposed to be easy and close parking Micro. I didnt know what a Micro was till just now. When I got out of the car I found the exact Coords in about 10 min.The descriptions says : This is a sign only micro. It is supposed to be placed at 9 ft. The original coords were at the end of a guardrail and about 10 ft from the end of the guard rail was a sign on a steel post that I could not reach the top of. I checked the sign best I could and up and down the guard rail but didnt find anything By this time the original coords had changeg by about 6ft further down the guard rail, the micro is supposed to be magnetic. It was really hot so I came home till I can get someone with better eyes to go with me. After finding what size micros can be thet are off my list, I couldnt find one of those if it was in my hand I was looking for a magnetic key box or bigger and I guess it might be. I will go back and try agian though, Mike

Mike, the 9' comment on the cache page is referring to the accuracy reported to the hider by his/her GPS at the time of placement. It is not suggesting that the container is 9' up. The container is somewhere on the guardrail and likely near the end or near one of the posts if it is like most caches of this type. Good luck on your next hunt.

Mike, the 9' comment on the cache page is referring to the accuracy reported to the hider by his/her GPS at the time of placement. It is not suggesting that the container is 9' up. The container is somewhere on the guardrail and likely near the end or near one of the posts if it is like most caches of this type. Good luck on your next hunt.

Ok, then each unit could have a margin of error, so if you add those up you could be 20 or 30 feet off or depending on the direction of error plus or minus you could be dead on with the puplished coords, dose this sound feasible? Mike

Ok, then each unit could have a margin of error, so if you add those up you could be 20 or 30 feet off or depending on the direction of error plus or minus you could be dead on with the puplished coords, dose this sound feasible? Mike

Each unit does have a margin of error so you are correct. Just remember though that it's an estimate. Because your unit says your EPE is 10 feet, it doesn't mean it's 10 feet. It could actually be more or less at the time.