TB tracking# posted in the online log

Userzero

I searched before asking...

I noticed that an online cache log contained the tracking number (not the reference number) of a TB. Since we became somewhat attached to that TB (we don't own it) I sent a very polite email to the person who made that particular log, suggesting that he edit his log and use the reference number instead of the tracking number. He also wrote in his log that it was his daughter's first find ever.

A week later, I got no reply and the tracking number is still there for all to see on that cache log.

It's not really my business, and that cacher may be on vacation or something. It would be a shame to just delete the log because the little girl would lose her find.

Can something bad happen to the TB because the tracking # is published, or is it more a question of principles. Should I try something else or simply let it go?

Georges

I noticed that an online cache log contained the tracking number (not the reference number) of a TB. Since we became somewhat attached to that TB (we don't own it) I sent a very polite email to the person who made that particular log, suggesting that he edit his log and use the reference number instead of the tracking number. He also wrote in his log that it was his daughter's first find ever.

A week later, I got no reply and the tracking number is still there for all to see on that cache log.

It's not really my business, and that cacher may be on vacation or something. It would be a shame to just delete the log because the little girl would lose her find.

Can something bad happen to the TB because the tracking # is published, or is it more a question of principles. Should I try something else or simply let it go?

Georges

Yes, it is bad to have the number published. Anyone who sees it can then log a "find" of the TB.

I would send a message to a moderator informing them of the log. Perhaps they could edit it.

I sent a very polite email to the person who made that particular log...

A week later, I got no reply and the tracking number is still there for all to see...

A very detailed and polite email, explaining how to discover a TB, and how to find the reference #, and how to edit the log.

...Can something bad happen to the TB because the tracking # is published, or is it more a question of principles...

The problem is not so much the tracking number but the dorks who will log the travel bug because of it for whatever reason. I had a guy log one of mine and then email me telling me that his log is why I shouldn't do that and he Implied that I should thank him for the bogus log and the lesson. I (Nicely) told him that him being a dork was the real problem, but fixed the photo anyway. Dorks like that artificially complicate life and make it bad practice to leave a travel bug number on display anywhere. Less dweezils like that in the world and all of our lives would be simpler.

Send me a link to the log, by way of a PM here, and I'll take out the tracking number.

Eartha

Groundspeak Volunteer

(P.S. RK, Please don't call people dorks, it's not nice. Neither is dweezils unless your last name is Zappa. If people would first teach others how it works when they show them about caching, half of these problems with logging wouldn't exist.)

Georges

Yes, it is bad to have the number published. Anyone who sees it can then log a "find" of the TB.

I would send a message to a moderator informing them of the log. Perhaps they could edit it.

I did once see an account someone created, specifically for logging TB's with tracking numbers in the picture, or posted in online logs. Some people really have way too much time on their hands. :D

It happens a lot with new cache hiders, too. When listing the inventory of their cache, owners often specify the travel bug with great detail, including its tracking number. Often, this is the first travel bug they've launched.

I have a form letter for pretty much everything after doing this for five years. :D

Hello,

I'll be publishing your new cache momentarily, but first I wanted to let you know that I edited out the secret tracking code number for the {NAME OF TRAVEL BUG} Travel Bug. Please do not disclose tracking numbers in logs or on cache pages. Some people use the tracking numbers to make mischief with the travel bug, moving it all over the world sometimes. Use the public number, beginning with "TB", when referring to a travel bug.

Thanks,

Keystone

Geocaching.com Volunteer Cache Reviewer

It's all fixed now. I even tried my hand at online translation, and I hope that it didn't come out saying something obscene! :)

You did just fine, nothing obscene came out! You're way better than me, I use "tracking number" in french too :D

Is it "le tracking number" or "la tracking number"? :D

It's all fixed now. I even tried my hand at online translation, and I hope that it didn't come out saying something obscene! :)

You did just fine, nothing obscene came out! You're way better than me, I use "tracking number" in french too :D

Actually, that would be "LE" tracking number...

Seriously though, if you ever need something translated in french in order to communicate with a french only geocacher, I'll be happy to help out.

Actually, that would be "LE" tracking number...

Seriously though, if you ever need something translated in french in order to communicate with a french only geocacher, I'll be happy to help out.

How about "le nombre secret" ?