Member but not a searcher

Pris6966

Not everyone that plays logs cache finds on-line.

Off the top of my head I can think of three players that a fairly active, but do not (or very rarely) log their finds on-line. One of those players is a premium member.

The one I know simple wanted to support the website because he likes it, thinks it's well done and knows what it cost to run a website.

Why would someone become a Premium Member and not geocache? I've noticed that there is someone who is has been a Premium Member for several months and has logged no finds, placed no geocaches, but has logged numerous visits to my geocache listings. Why?

Why would it matter to you why someone does this? If that's what they want to do, so be it.

That's unusual, but not unheard-of. Perhaps they enjoy the sport, play it for the pleasure rather than the numbers, but still log notes so they can manage trackables properly. I wouldn't be too concerned unless you start having a pattern of vandalism problems in concert with their logs, but it's unlikely that a vandal would be dedicated enough to actually pay for a membership. (Eggs and spray paint would be cheaper and provide more immediate gratification.) Chances are, it's all on the level.

Why would it matter to you why someone does this? If that's what they want to do, so be it.

I've had numerous problems with a couple of my caches being vandalized, destroyed, etc. I've been contacted by a member who admitted to knowing/watching the vandals. This member had logged no finds. Now I have noticed another member who is visiting my listings but still has no finds. I find it more than curious. And, yes, they can do what they want but I would like to stop the cache vandalism/destruction.

What has one got to do with the other?

There are plenty of ways to get the coords to a cache, even a MOC, without ever viewing the cache page.

I almost NEVER actually view a cache page. I'm a premium member and I don't log online. All my caching is done off-line, via PQs. Since I no longer log finds online there is rarely a reason to ever visit a cache page. About the only time I actually need to visit a cache page is if I dropped a TB or need to log a DNF or needs maint.

What has one got to do with the other?

There are plenty of ways to get the coords to a cache, even a MOC, without ever viewing the cache page.

Because it happened before and someone admitted it to me, thats why. Now I notice it happening again. Someone has viewed my cache listings (of the vandalized caches) over 40X in the last couple of weeks. This is more than casual browsing. I guess I'll just archive the caches and be done with it.

Because it happened before and someone admitted it to me, thats why. Now I notice it happening again. Someone has viewed my cache listings (of the vandalized caches) over 40X in the last couple of weeks. This is more than casual browsing. I guess I'll just archive the caches and be done with it.

That's such a shame. I consider myself a calm and measured person, but I truly hate seeing things like that happen. You're one of the area's better hiders, Pris, and a nice lady to boot, so I really hope that the issues with the former 'Chevy Chase' were just a one-time thing with some rowdy kids who've moved on.

Just curious, but how do you know your cache listings are being viewed more than 40 times over the past couple weeks and how do you know it's a vandal? I didn't think there were ways of tracking views and such.

That being said, I can't imagine someone would go through the hassle of joining, paying for a membership (and having to give personal info), doing the research on certain caches and then going out and vandalizing a cache. Seems like an awful lot of time and such just to be a vandal. Wouldn't one just be able to sign up for a free account, get some coords and do what they want?

Just curious, but how do you know your cache listings are being viewed more than 40 times over the past couple weeks and how do you know it's a vandal? I didn't think there were ways of tracking views and such.

That being said, I can't imagine someone would go through the hassle of joining, paying for a membership (and having to give personal info), doing the research on certain caches and then going out and vandalizing a cache. Seems like an awful lot of time and such just to be a vandal. Wouldn't one just be able to sign up for a free account, get some coords and do what they want?

If your caches are MOC, then you can see who views the cache page and how many times. Also don't underestimate the relentlessness of a committed cache maggot.

If your caches are MOC, then you can see who views the cache page and how many times. Also don't underestimate the relentlessness of a committed cache maggot.

Well now that's interesting. Almost worth going MOC just to see that! :D

And if someone is that committed to blasting a cache, then they really need to get a life, that's for sure.

Not everyone that plays logs cache finds on-line.

Off the top of my head I can think of three players that a fairly active, but do not (or very rarely) log their finds on-line. One of those players is a premium member.

The one I know simple wanted to support the website because he likes it, thinks it's well done and knows what it cost to run a website.

Wait am I one of those... I log -- just am super slow in doing so :D

A legitimate reason I could see someone having a premium membership and not using it would be if they are a land manager or part of an agency of some kind (a Rails to Trails council, for example) who doesn't cache but wants to keep tabs on caches placed in their jursdiction or on their grounds.

A creepy reason would be if you have a stalker who discovered what your hobby is and wants to keep tabs on you. Are other caches in your area being vandalized, or does it seem directed at you personally? Please be CAREFUL (yeah, I sound like a paranoid kook, but these days you never know....).

A creepy reason would be if you have a stalker who discovered what your hobby is and wants to keep tabs on you. Are other caches in your area being vandalized, or does it seem directed at you personally? Please be CAREFUL (yeah, I sound like a paranoid kook, but these days you never know....).

There was a person in my neck of the woods who had just that problem. There was this really nice park with a Japanese garden, and every attempt she made to keep a cache there was vandalized by a teenager (she knows because he was caught) with too much time on his hands who did just that and posted mean notes to her.

If your caches are MOC, then you can see who views the cache page and how many times.

Well now that's interesting. Almost worth going MOC just to see that! :P

I did exactly that when I discovered log audits. I've made all of my caches since then MOC's just because I like looking at the logs.

If anyone saw a log of every cache page I visited - they would think I was completely crazy! I'm new to this, but addicted. The 60 or so caches closest to me, every cache I've visited, and the caches I plan to visit - I look at those pages *often*. I look at the profiles of people that have visited those caches, what caches they've been to recently, those they've hidden. The caches I've had trouble finding get even more attention.. ahaha.. Maybe once I have logged a few more finds, I'll be less neurotic - but, I doubt it! Don't get me started on trackables...

Bill

If your caches are MOC, then you can see who views the cache page and how many times.

Which is exactly why there are many caches I find interesting but that I do not look at! I generally look at them when the cache is first published, then never again until such time as we plan on hunting for that cache. Then I log it, and never look at it again. For a non-MOC cache, I might look at the page 20 or more times (if it's an interesting cache) while the cache remains active. I think audit logs are fine, but creeps me out to think that the cache owner will find out when and how often I view the page.

Edited by whistler & co.

Which is exactly why there are many caches I find interesting but that I do not look at! I generally look at them when the cache is first published, then never again until such time as we plan on hunting for that cache. Then I log it, and never look at it again. For a non-MOC cache, I might look at the page 20 or more times (if it's an interesting cache) while the cache remains active. I think audit logs are fine, but creeps me out to think that the cache owner will find out when and how often I view the page.

they can see "how often" but not "when." Hope that eases your mind a bit. :)

they can see "how often" but not "when." Hope that eases your mind a bit. :P

I didn't go and look at my only MOC (which is archived), but I'm quite sure it is how many times and last visit With the date and time. Including seconds even.

Eh, don't worry Whistler, I've long opined in these forums that the audit log is an invasion of web surfing privacy. And I've also ranted about the time some nosy lady in California emailed me and asked why I looked at her cache page! (I was just surfing Geocaching.com Google maps, and had no idea it was an MOC).

And just so you know you're not alone, Myself, and two other people I've talked to when it came up in conversation always go way out of our way to not look at MOC cache pages. :ph34r:

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

I once had a local cacher email me and wonder "why do you bother to look at my cache pages when you never visit my caches?" Guess whose cache pages I will never, ever look at again no matter how interesting the title?

On the other hand, it might be fun to start looking at those pages every single time I go online! :ph34r:

Which cacher is that? :lol:

On topic: Perhaps someone wanted the PM features but they just don't log onlone.

I pay for my daughter's membership. Having those 5 extra PQs has come in handy once or twice.

I used to do a LOT of a certain type of cache. I sustained an injury and can't do the "really" extreme ones yet.

I WAS looking when a new one came out, just to see what it entailed and/or who got it FTF.

Finally, after numerous e-mails from COs on, "When you gonna try it?" , stopped looking altogether.

The Audit log has kept me from at least LOOKING at the caches I so loved to do, do to the invasion on my privacy.