A first for me

While searching for a cache my GPSr led me to an open area that was freshly mowed. The coordinates took me no where. I called another cacher hoping for some information but he hadn't found it yet. Thinking that perhaps the coords were way off I started searching the area around the cache. A different cacher saw me off in the distance and drove up to say hi. Just as he drove up I saw a bison tube but 183' from the original cache. I offered him the find also and we removed the log only to find that none of the other finders had signed the log! After looking closely at the log we did find one signature by HarveyClan dated 10Mar07. We were really confused. I called the cacher back and he told me that he thought that there was a cache there but was archived over a year ago. I did a search for HarveyClan but couldn't find anything. I emailed the cache owner and was able to confirm for him that the original container had been mowed down and destroyed but offered to get him the coordinates for the old cache to continue it. First time I have ever found a cache that wasn't it!

While searching for a cache my GPSr led me to an open area that was freshly mowed. The coordinates took me no where. I called another cacher hoping for some information but he hadn't found it yet. Thinking that perhaps the coords were way off I started searching the area around the cache. A different cacher saw me off in the distance and drove up to say hi. Just as he drove up I saw a bison tube but 183' from the original cache. I offered him the find also and we removed the log only to find that none of the other finders had signed the log! After looking closely at the log we did find one signature by HarveyClan dated 10Mar07. We were really confused. I called the cacher back and he told me that he thought that there was a cache there but was archived over a year ago. I did a search for HarveyClan but couldn't find anything. I emailed the cache owner and was able to confirm for him that the original container had been mowed down and destroyed but offered to get him the coordinates for the old cache to continue it. First time I have ever found a cache that wasn't it!

Which cache is this? post links!

We were doing our first multi. We were on the final and it was in the woods so the GPSr was bouncing. We over shot the final and I told my son we needed to find a clearing. So we did. While I was waiting for the GPSr to settle down, my son says "hey, what's that?" There was a cache sitting about 12 feet off the trail. I knew we were off from the final and there wasn't any others in the area. We checked it out, signed the log and traded swap. The last time the log had been signed was May of 2006 (we found it last month). So I wrote down who the last 8 or 10 finders were so we could figure out what it was. We got back to the house, I searched for other caches in the area, nope. I looked for the finds of the cachers that signed the log, nope. I checked the history of the multi we were searching for.... turns out there was a problem with the final coming up missing back in 2006. I emailed the owner and they confirmed the cache was the long lost final. They went out and recovered it and we're now waiting for them to rehide it so we can find it again.

Last year I got up real early for a first to find and had some trouble locating the cache. So, I widened my search area. About 60 feet from GZ I located the cache container, which was a mortar shell container. It was labelled by magic marker, contained a log, a first to find pin, and some swag. I made the first log entry, traded items, and happily returned home to log the find, and posted my photos. Later that day another cacher located the cache and logged the find. However, the cache he found was not the cache that I found. He politely suggested that maybe I posted the wrong photos or forgot to sign the log because his log was the first log on site. Then we exchanged emails and I went through my story. He contacted the cache owner, who confirmed the second cacher had found the published cache. I contacted the administrator, who said my find had not been published and nothing indicated that it was ever supposed to be there. It has never appeared as a bonifide cache to this day, and as far as I know, it's still there. I haven't been back, but plan to go again sometime this summer. Very strange. When it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it may still be a swan, I guess. The pin was from a Republican National Convention, and I've kept it as a souvenier of a very strange ending to caching.

I also had this happen once. Was looking for a couple of caches in a wooded area that is between a split in a highway. Found one cache and was making my way by straight line to the other one when I came across this tuperware container under a log. I knew I wasn't close enough yet for the 2nd cache I was searching for. Container had a log and typical swag. Looked at the log book and found a cache name and (I think) the name of the cacher that had placed the cache. When I got home, I was able to find the archived cache page, so I logged the find.

On a similar note, myself and 3 others were looking for one stage of a very difficult (true 5/5!!!; GC12YMH) multi. After about an hour or so of searching on our third trip for this stage, we were widening our search when we found a tiki god!!!!!!!!!! (each stage is a tiki god). After using the numbers on the tiki to calculate coords for the next stage, we realized that something was amiss. After emailing cache owner, it seems we found a different stage of the cache.

Don't mind him, he gets a swelled blue box from time to time

Did you check to make sure it was not listed somewhere else?

I found a cache once that was assumed to have gone missing, I talked with the owner of the cache that was at the current location, turns out the old cache was also his and he was happy to see it was found and went out and retrieved it.

Just to show how old the cache was, the container was the old AOL CD tins they use to sent out.

Went caching one day about 2 years ago. As I was making my final approach, I see a container. upon opening it to find the log to sign, I noted that the name didn't match the cache I was looking for. I made a note/took pic/got coords and left it. After Finding the original cache I went for. I went 100 yards and stumbled upon another cache...did like I did on the first one. Upon getting home and logging my finds, I couldn't find the 1st and 3rd caches anywhere. Finally got an email from the owners after several weeks, and was told they had been lost/muggled...well I found them for them intact.

I found on one while placing one of the stages for a large multi that I put out. I contacted the owner, since it didn't have any GC code on it, but did have the name of the owner. He indicated it was an old archived cache, and I was welcome to claim a find on it, as well as remove it if I was back through the area.

Actually yes!

Just a few weeks ago I was going after a fairly new cache not far from one that went missing and had been archived. I had already found the previous cache and remembering that it was only so far away I took a walk that way and no more than 100 feet from where the old cache had been I found the archived ammo can intact with swag, coin and TB! Owner -who had moved away- as well as another local to the area cacher were notified and the ammo can has been retreived to be resurrected elsewhere.

This is one of the many reasons I can't wait to see the ability to search for archived caches revived.

I'm certain there are more like this out there that just need an extra eye or some 'out side of the box' thinking.

A few weeks ago we were looking for a cache in a local park. The hint led us to a large oak tree. We had looked all around the tree and were about to give up when one son yelled 'found it' and immediately our other son yelled 'no I found it'. They were about 40 feet apart. One found a bison tube and the other found a homemade micro of some sort. Both were on the ground and both contained blank logs. I wasn't sure which was the correct cache but since the homemade micro was the same as another cache in the same park placed by the same CO, we signed the log on that one and re-hid it back in the tree where is was supposed to be. I took the bison and emailed the cache owner, but he never responded.