Fallen Hero's Geocoins

sharp

I have purchased/donated to the “Fallen Heroes” Geocoins and received my first order. Very nice coins but disappointed that they were plain without any mention of the person honored. I realize that the makers would not realistically have been able to do anything like that without significantly increasing the cost. I laminated a card with pictures and name to travel with each coin I bought or retrieve.

I did some research and ran across Spec Pat Tillman’s coin before the purchaser had released it. I see now that he may have only released a copy of the coin. I had wondered how it might work to have a “famous” coin like that. I seriously thought he might not release it. This brings me to my problem.

Inventorying the coins I received I ran across a familiar name. I think possibly the only other nationally “famous” Fallen Hero. ( at least I can’t name any others). I have purchased Spec. Casey Sheehan’s Fallen Hero’s Geocoin. For those who have been in a hole for the last 4 years, he is the son of Cindy Sheehan, anti war protester and Bush opponent of some note. I feel strongly that placing this coin out in the world it would not last a month and therefore NOT fulfill the intent of the coins. Keeping it would also not fulfill the intent. What to do?

I see a very few options.

1: Send it out and watch someone make it disappear. (no benefit)

2: Keep it. (little benefit, at least cachers could discover it)

3: Send out a copy and keep the real one. (Benefit but not satisfying)

None of these are particularly interesting but number 3 is the most likely. I am leaning toward the 4th option.

I am thinking of putting it up on Ebay, with the following rules. I pay all ebay fees and shipping. The winning bidder must send me proof of a donation, equal to the bid, to Operation Homefront. IF a close family member can prove to me they are who they say they are, I will make a donation to the same charity of at least $50 and send the coin to them for free. This still does not get the coin out there but it prevents it from being stolen while out in the world and at least the charity benefits.

So what does the forum think? Not that I’ll promise to do what you say, but I will listen. Any other suggestions?

sharp

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1847155

That is a really hard question...

I would go with the third option, in order to gve people the chance to see at least a copy of it, there while you can show th original to cachers on events, too.

If you want to donate a 50$ you could do so without selling the coin on ebay, that way you keep the coin "public" and did something very honourable :)

By the way: Copys do not seem to ba very accepted over here :D I set a copy free of my German Reviewer coin and I was attacked by the first to retrieve it for doing so. I had a hard time convinceing him to set the copy free again :(

That is a really hard question...

I would go with the third option, in order to gve people the chance to see at least a copy of it, there while you can show th original to cachers on events, too.

I agree w/ Tschakko. Send out a copy and take the original to events to let others discover it. I sent you an email about another issue.

My opinion is that since all these coins were sold with the intention of releasing them in tribute to the men and women that keep us safe, you set it free in a cache immediately. Let the chips fall where they may. All of these geocoins are owned by the profile of the Fallen Heroes, and that profile requests they be in caches. It's a sad fact that not every geocoin will move forever, but you might be surprised at how long it lasts. I think you make very valid points about the uncertain fate of this geocoin, but none of them surpass the wishes of the creator.

Again, my opinion, FWIW.

TMA

The Coins you purchesed was ment to be released in the wild since you are not the owner and more or lest donated your money to have a coin released in his name. I don't think that USA coins would want you to make a copy, Since it belongs to them I would ask first. USA 45

My opinion is that since all these coins were sold with the intention of releasing them in tribute to the men and women that keep us safe, you set it free in a cache immediately. Let the chips fall where they may. All of these geocoins are owned by the profile of the Fallen Heroes, and that profile requests they be in caches. It's a sad fact that not every geocoin will move forever, but you might be surprised at how long it lasts. I think you make very valid points about the uncertain fate of this geocoin, but none of them surpass the wishes of the creator.

Again, my opinion, FWIW.

TMA

Only my opinion, but I couldn't agree more with TMA.

Another option is make a bunch of copies but release the original. When the original is stolen release a copy and when that is stolen release another copy and so and so on. Just keep that puppy rolling and your objective as well as that of the coin maker/owner is achieved.

Too bad you can't rename the coins to include the number of the copy released as it would at least discredit the folks who think stealing other people's property is "patriotic" and appropriate.

Another option is make a bunch of copies but release the original. When the original is stolen release a copy and when that is stolen release another copy and so and so on. Just keep that puppy rolling and your objective as well as that of the coin maker/owner is achieved.

Now there is a splendid idea. I have read that people are less disappointed when the copy of the original is nicely done and glued/epoxied/attached to a wooden nickel type substrate. Something more tangible than a flimsy paper copy. Putting a little effort into the copy shows you cared.

My personal opinion would be to put the coin out like Moop said and just hope it would continue to travel.

I did notice that the Tillman coin is traveling as a copy and not the coin itself.

Once a person purchases a coin, even though it is owned by the Fallen Heroes account, they are free to do with the coin as they please. There is no contract, I can only 'suggest' that they put the coins out and let them travel.

If you fear the coin will be stolen I think releasing a copy would be better than not releasing the coin at all.

Thanks

Eric