ADOPT OR LET THEM DISABLE

ervind

Stay in school, eat foods low in fat and high in fiber, see your dentist every 6 months and never buy penny stocks.

Seriously, what do you need advice about?

I want to know what to do reguarding someone giving up a cache,in my area,they themselves cannot maintain it because their moving away......should i adopt the cache or let them disable it and then i take over....if i adopt the cache site will it remain under their name or mine ??? Edited by ervind

Stay in school, eat foods low in fat and high in fiber, see your dentist every 6 months and never buy penny stocks.

I want to know what to do reguarding someone giving up a cache,in my area,they themselves cannot maintain it because their moving away......should i adopt the cache or let them disable it and then i take over....if i adopt the cache site will it remain under their name or mine ???

If you adopt a cache you can change the owners name to your own, let it the way it was, or say "placed by cacher A, adopted by ervind"

I want to know what to do reguarding someone giving up a cache,in my area,they themselves cannot maintain it because their moving away......should i adopt the cache or let them disable it and then i take over....if i adopt the cache site will it remain under their name or mine ???

If you adopt a cache you can change the owners name to your own, let it the way it was, or say "placed by cacher A, adopted by ervind"

Good advice.......Thanks Klatch

If you adopt the cache, it's your cache. The text on the cache page will not change, but you will have the ability to edit it. Most people just add, Adopted by ... after the original owners name. As it is now your cache, you have the ability to edit it. You can the description, attributes, delete logs, disable/enable, perform maintenance, etc. It's your cache, just as if you had created it from the beginning.

The only reason to adopt a cache vs. it being archived is to keep a cache with historical significance active, or to keep an awesome grandfathered cache active that doesn't meet current guidelines. Say, one of the 10 oldest caches in a state or country, or a personal milestone cache, or a virtual on NPS property with an awesome view. I personally adopted a cache that was one of the first ones I ever found in a great little local park. It was placed in 2003, and I occasionally get comments along the line of "...oldest caches I've ever found..."

Otherwise, let the old cache get archived and place your own.

I offered to adopt some caches from a guy who was moving out of town. I realize he was busy, but after a few weeks of no contact, I emailed him again. Either he wasn't motivated to learn how to adopt out the caches or he was still busy. After a few more weeks, I emailed him to say that I was no longer interested in adopting his caches.

Two or three weeks after that email, the flood of "disabled" notifications came through. A few of the disabled caches have been resurrected with a new hider's name but with the same coords. I'm guessing that these folks searched through their "found" list (or searched via his profile). The new caches were placed exactly where the original was, and some have even used the geotrash that was left from the original hider.

If you're especially keen on adopting the person's cache, email them to see if they're interested. If they won't work on the adoption process, let it go emotionally until they disable it.

I offered to adopt some caches from a guy who was moving out of town. I realize he was busy, but after a few weeks of no contact, I emailed him again. Either he wasn't motivated to learn how to adopt out the caches or he was still busy. After a few more weeks, I emailed him to say that I was no longer interested in adopting his caches.

Two or three weeks after that email, the flood of "disabled archive" notifications came through. A few of the disabled archived caches have been resurrected with a new hider's name but with the same coords. I'm guessing that these folks searched through their "found" list (or searched via his profile). The new caches were placed exactly where the original was, and some have even used the geotrash that was left from the original hider.

If you're especially keen on adopting the person's cache, email them to see if they're interested. If they won't work on the adoption process, let it go emotionally until they disabled archive it.

Fixed.

Disabling is a temporary measure meant to be a way for someone to replace a cache without the permanance of archiving. Archiving is a (usually) final matter.

Edited by Markwell

Someone told me lately that if you're worried about your "hide stats" that disabled caches still count as hides for you, whereas if you adopt a cache out, it leaves your hide count and goes with it's new adopted owner. To people that are calculating their "caching karma" (ratio between your finds and finds on your hides) this will make a difference. For most of us, it's irrelevant.

:D

DCC

Edited by Driver Carries Cache

Someone told me lately that if you're worried about your "hide stats" that disabled archived caches still count as hides for you, whereas if you adopt a cache out, it leaves your hide count and goes with it's new adopted owner. To people that are calculating their "caching karma" (ratio between your finds and finds on your hides) this will make a difference. For most of us, it's irrelevant.

DCC

Fixed.

When I moved from California to Virginia, I put out for adoption 19 of my caches. They don't show in my Cache Hides list anymore, but I still consider them as My Hides. I created a bookmark list of all my hides and use the PQ from that list to run the caching karma stat.

Someone told me lately that if you're worried about your "hide stats" that disabled archived caches still count as hides for you, whereas if you adopt a cache out, it leaves your hide count and goes with it's new adopted owner. To people that are calculating their "caching karma" (ratio between your finds and finds on your hides) this will make a difference. For most of us, it's irrelevant.

:(

DCC

Fixed.

When I moved from California to Virginia, I put out for adoption 19 of my caches. They don't show in my Cache Hides list anymore, but I still consider them as My Hides. I created a bookmark list of all my hides and use the PQ from that list to run the caching karma stat.

Now that's usin' the ol' head! :D

We are a clever bunch.

DCC