Batteries through airport

forman

I thought I read some where that you can only take a few extra batteries besides what is in your gps with you on a trip. I checked the TSA site and did not see anything. I have a bunch of rechargeable NIMH.

I've gone through unchallenged many times with two in the GPS, four in the digital camera, and a battery holder with six extra rechargeables. This was in my carry-on.

I do get stopped more often now with all the electrical hardware I have in my daypack these days. :o

I'm sure we all prefer it that way anyway.

Never heard about a limit. Of course if you carry a few kilo of them you will raise some suspicion !

True that it is a real hassle these days. You can't take a 0.5l bottle of water but they don't even check if your laptop is a real one by checking if it works !!!!

All these security measures are a joke, more to appease the traveller than anything else. Fortunately they rely on other clues.

I recently flew Ryanair and they asked me to turn off my GPS ! I tried to explain it was just a receiver but it was in vain. So I asked if I had to turn off my electronic watch too !!!

Edited by Suscrofa

There is an issue with Lithium Ion batteries that if they get within contact of each other they might explode. Such as my canon camera batteries which are Rechargeable Lithium Ions. When I went to Ireland from the US I had to make sure my extra batteries for my camera were in seperate zip lock bags. I didn't have any issues with my NIMH batteries for my gps though.

http://safetravel.dot.gov/whats_new_batteries.html

The restriction is against having them in your checked bag but you can carry them on your carryon as long as they do not touch another one. Hence the reference of keeping them serperated.

There is an issue with Lithium Ion batteries that if they get within contact of each other they might explode. Such as my canon camera batteries which are Rechargeable Lithium Ions. When I went to Ireland from the US I had to make sure my extra batteries for my camera were in seperate zip lock bags. I didn't have any issues with my NIMH batteries for my gps though.

http://safetravel.dot.gov/whats_new_batteries.html

The restriction is against having them in your checked bag but you can carry them on your carryon as long as they do not touch another one. Hence the reference of keeping them serperated.

Yep. Li-Ion batteries are highly explosive. Care must be taken so the terminals do not short. Even one battery by itself can be dangerous. If metal coins or keys touch the terminals, you can have an explosion. Check this video out. Watch the battery baloon up in slow motion.

Edited by fourbeer

<snip>

I recently flew Ryanair and they asked me to turn off my GPS ! I tried to explain it was just a receiver but it was in vain. So I asked if I had to turn off my electronic watch too !!!

Probably because lots of gps have transmitters in them. Easier for the flight crew if the policy is all gps need to be off instead of consulting a long, frequently changing list.

Jim

<snip>

Probably because lots of gps have transmitters in them. Easier for the flight crew if the policy is all gps need to be off instead of consulting a long, frequently changing list.

Jim

Also, many receivers are "leaky". I'm a bit vague on the theories and I'm not sure if this affects GPS receivers, but the action of some receivers turns them into RF transmitters. This is why one radar detector might set off another - both are receivers, but the technique they are using actually leaks RF transmissions. I'm sure it is worse in a case like a radar detector that isn't looking for quality reception, as compared to a GPS unit which needs to perform precise calculations on the signals it receives, but the general possibility that a radio receiver might leak signals is probably enough for an airline to want to ban their use...