Whats the best the garmin 60csx or the colorado ?

I am currently debating which one to get, i have seen there have been various problems with both. I am new to this sport but want to get the best GPS unit out there can anyone help me please

it would be great to hear from people who have tried / owned both , they will be the people that will know there stuff.

:wub:

The 60 or the Co? Oh you have started something now. :wub:

A few points you can't argue...

The 60 has been around and most of the kinks worked out. The CO is new and based on reviews there are still some issues to be fixed....

The CO cost more.....

I vote 60CSx.

Now let me go make some popcorn this should be good.... :wub:

Being a person who owns both units. The 60CSx is a more tested unit as others have said and its a solid unit. I love the colorado personally and have nothing but good things to say about it. There are some minor issues but I believe they will be fixed in future updates. I love the relief shading on the Coloradom it really makes the unit.

It's harder to say than you'd think--it probably depends on how you will use the unit. If I were intent on playing Wherigo, I would buy the Colorado--otherwise I'd buy the 60CSx.

I'm not aware of any recent problems with the 60CSx. It's pretty well tested and tweaked by now.

The Colorado is newer technology, so of course it's going to have a few speed bumps.

I use the 60CSX now and personally think it's the best unit made right now.

It's interesting to me that some people are so fond of the relief shading offered by the Colorado--that's the one feature I dislike most. I perfer the look of the maps on the 60CSx. I suppose it's just what I am used to, but the relief maps don't seem to offer much detail to me and they seem cartoonish. You would think I would really like them, since I am admittedly a very visually oriented person.

You should also know that a lot of the "problems" with the Colorado are perceptions from people who have owned the 60CS models. If you have never owned a gps you will probably not have as many things about the GPS that you wish were different.

For example the screen on the Colorado appears dark in comparison to the 60 series GPS. After using the Colorado for a while I no longer notice that it seems dark.

You should also know that a lot of the "problems" with the Colorado are perceptions from people who have owned the 60CS models. If you have never owned a gps you will probably not have as many things about the GPS that you wish were different.

As an owner of both a 60Csx and a Colorado 400t, I'll second that. The CO does things differently, and after using the 60 for almost 4 years it took me a while to get used to the change. After a month or so, I no longer have to think about how to accomplish a given task, and I've really started to enjoy using the CO.

Another factor to consider is whether you plan to use the GPS more for geocaching, or for other purposes, and whether you want to go paperless. The Colorado is much more expensive, but you won't have to spend more money on a PDA for viewing cache descriptions- you can view all cache data right on the GPS. The 60 is better for general use, hiking, etc.

My two cents,

The terrain shading is nice but the tan color of the terrain makes some things harder to see. I wish we had the option to turn the terrain shading off. When I have IndyJpr's maps loaded I turn off the Topo2008 layer (shading) and everything else is much easier to see in full daylight.

I hope folks are right when they say that the issues with the Colorado will be worked out in future updates. HOWEVER, at the current pace of Garmin's firmware/software realeases for the Colorado series, I wouldn't hold my breath. Its been a stagnant two months now since a beta release and nearly four months since a normal release of updated firmware/software. Hmm, Makes me wonder where Garmin is taking the Colorado series.

Here is my answer to the question of the 60CSX vs Colorado. I'm going to wait until one more software/firmware release and if they haven't addressed the issues important to me I'll be selling it for a 60CSX.

Edited by yogazoo

Being a person who owns both units. The 60CSx is a more tested unit as others have said and its a solid unit. I love the colorado personally and have nothing but good things to say about it. There are some minor issues but I believe they will be fixed in future updates. I love the relief shading on the Coloradom it really makes the unit.

Ditto.

but you won't have to spend more money on a PDA for viewing cache descriptions- you can view all cache data right on the GPS. The 60 is better for general use, hiking, etc.

And you also don't have to remember to carry your PDA with you when you walk to the cache ... and then need to read the cache description. I've done that SO many times with my 60CSx and it's nice to have the 2-in-1 device in my 400t.

I came over from a Magellan Explorist 500. Interestingly enough, I had no real drive to get a 60csx, even though a frequent caching buddy had one. Both the Explorist and 60cs had nice features, the custom POIs on the 60 series was nice, but not nearly enough to tear me away from the Explorist, which had some better features than the 60 - faster text input, could hold unlimited 200 cache files, unlimited maps.

However, once the Triton came out, I lusted after that - until it was released. Utter garbage, and that from a company whose customer service went from excellent (when I first got a GPSr in 2000) to horrible after the Explorist release.

So, when the Colorado was announced, I was ready to jump ship. I got my Colorado 400t about 5 weeks ago, and haven't turned my Explorist on again! I added CN 2009, to autoroute, and use it primarily for geocaching. I've got a few minor quibbles here and there, but I had them with the Explorist too.

The 60 series has limitations, as did the Explorist, as does the Colorado, they're just different animals. However, the added features on the Colorado: larger screen, geocache data onboard, GPX drag and drop make it a clear winner for me.

i have both units

The colorado has a better (3D) screen but awful backlight

AND it has a lot of bugs (after 6 months on the market)) and needs 4-5 firmware-updates to be an excellent unit (the gpsmap60csx already is an excellent unit).

I think that garmin will jump to the next series and no longer support the current Co-series

Colorado Location Errors:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=184158

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=195145&hl=

BUGS:

http://garmincolorado.wikispaces.com/Issues+List

If you need a gps that works unimpeachable take a CSX.

Currently Garmin has problems with mediatek-units - sirf3-units are working fine.