Geocaching. com searches very very slow on my laptop?

swegeman

When I try to do any from the home page of Geocaching.com(search Wayoints or other then going to the home page) my laptop takes 5-10 minutes for the page to load. When on my home computer it takes seconds. I have duplicated the settings exactly. This only happens on the geocaching web page not any other web site.

I use the laptop for work and can do streaming video and many high data downloads with no problems what so ever. I also have a Broadband Wireless card from Sprint and would like to log my find while onsite. I works the same if plugged directly to the network, using wirless card to network and braodband card. i have checked the data speed of 100mb wired, 54Mb wireless and 75 Mb with broadband card. ;)

Does any body have any suggestions why this is?

I have be using computers for many, many years and am stumoed!! Pleae help?? :)

When I try to do any from the home page of Geocaching.com(search Wayoints or other then going to the home page) my laptop takes 5-10 minutes for the page to load. When on my home computer it takes seconds. I have duplicated the settings exactly. This only happens on the geocaching web page not any other web site.

I use the laptop for work and can do streaming video and many high data downloads with no problems what so ever. I also have a Broadband Wireless card from Sprint and would like to log my find while onsite. I works the same if plugged directly to the network, using wirless card to network and braodband card. i have checked the data speed of 100mb wired, 54Mb wireless and 75 Mb with broadband card. :)

I have be using computers for many, many years and am stumoed!! Pleae help?? :mad:

A quick list to look at:

Slower processor

Lower and/or slower RAM

Not enough disk space for the swap page file to work efficiently

Swap page file might be too big

Virus checking realtime dowloads

Too many TSRs running in the background (spyware is good for this)

Not enough info to narrow down the problem but you have proven it isn't Groundspeak causing the issue.

...I have be using computers for many, many years and am stumoed!! Pleae help?? :)

Well...then you should know that sometimes dumb things happen. Some command, HTML code, or something else used by GC (but not a lot of other sites) is conflicting wiht something on your computer that's not working like it shoud.

My kids could not watch Youtube videos on one computer. They did something. Everthing else worked fine.

Time to reformat?

Your Internet speed is faster than mine and mine is fine. It could be RAM, it could be a virus you never know. What kind of computer are you using? I use a dell dimension 3000 and a Apple iPod Touch (good Internet capibility's!)

I use the laptop for work and can do streaming video and many high data downloads with no problems what so ever. I also have a Broadband Wireless card from Sprint and would like to log my find while onsite. I works the same if plugged directly to the network, using wirless card to network and braodband card. i have checked the data speed of 100mb wired, 54Mb wireless and 75 Mb with broadband card. :blink:

I have be using computers for many, many years and am stumoed!! Pleae help?? :D

What browser are you using? I use my DELL laptop for searching using the Opera browser and Searching goes fast.

On my slow dialup connection, Opera is faster than either Firefox or IE.

It could also be the Google Toolbar. If you using IE and Google Toolbar try disabling it and see if your slowness goes away. If that fixes then try the new beta Google Toolbar. This worked for me on one of my machines.

Edited by Tharagleb

I use the laptop for work and can do streaming video and many high data downloads with no problems what so ever. I also have a Broadband Wireless card from Sprint and would like to log my find while onsite. I works the same if plugged directly to the network, using wirless card to network and braodband card. i have checked the data speed of 100mb wired, 54Mb wireless and 75 Mb with broadband card. ;)

I have be using computers for many, many years and am stumoed!! Pleae help?? B)

Sometimes a corrupted cache index can cause problems similar to what you are describing.. Deleting the cache is not enough though, you must manually delete the cache index... Here's some information:

Corrupt Cache Fix

I saw something similar once on a client's pc. The ISP they were using had just installed a page caching server and had some misconfigured settings causing dynamic site's like Groundspeak to run dramatically slower than normal. A call to thier tech support got them to tweak things.

It could also be the Google Toolbar. If you using IE and Google Toolbar try disabling it and see if your slowness goes away. If that fixes then try the new beta Google Toolbar. This worked for me on one of my machines.

I use IE7Pro, I like it better.

I Finally figured it out! It was Symantec Client Server! It was see www.geocaching.com as an intruder. I had to goto the Log Viewer to pickit up. in the intrusion Prevention files it said:

Intrusion detected and blocked. All communication with www.geocaching.com(66.150.167.150) will be blocked for 30 minutes.

Intrusion: HTTP MS IE Object Element Data DoS.

Intruder: www.geocaching.com(66.150.167.150)(http(80)).

Risk Level: Medium.

Protocol: TCP.

Attacked IP: localhost.

Attacked Port: 3510.

So I had to configure the Intrusion Prevention to Exclude ww.geocaching.com as an Intruder!! Now everything works great.

But why would it see GC as an Intuder??

I Finally figured it out! It was Symantec Client Server! It was see www.geocaching.com as an intruder. I had to goto the Log Viewer to pickit up. in the intrusion Prevention files it said:

Intrusion detected and blocked. All communication with www.geocaching.com(66.150.167.150) will be blocked for 30 minutes.

Intrusion: HTTP MS IE Object Element Data DoS.

Intruder: www.geocaching.com(66.150.167.150)(http(80)).

Risk Level: Medium.

Protocol: TCP.

Attacked IP: localhost.

Attacked Port: 3510.

So I had to configure the Intrusion Prevention to Exclude ww.geocaching.com as an Intruder!! Now everything works great.

But why would it see GC as an Intuder??

Should have read that before the last post. I never run IE, too many issues. I run Firefox or you could try Opera and not waste the time trying to figure out why.