poncho

emergency thermal blanket

signal mirror

whistle

fire starter

sun block

insect repellent

water bottles

What kind of caching are you planning on doing?

Just a question. I know its good to be prepaired, but those seem more like a survival kit then a Geocaching bag.

For solo caching one or two around town, I wear a Pouch containing:

My GPSr

a compass

pocket knife

geocoins

TBs

small notebook (my journal)

couple pencils/pens

spare batteries

whistle

sometimes one or two small trade items

sometimes PDA

pencil sharpner

If I am out caching with the kids, or an any kind of extended trip I add a backpack containing:

bug spray

water bottles

first aid kit

zip lock bags (regular and bead size)

replacement logbooks

flashlight

a bunch of toys/swag/trade items

extra compass

sun block

extra pens/pencils

I have the ability to stay overnight if an injury so dictates.

Oh yah... I also carry all the extras to keep my electronics going and swag for the really cool caches. That's me on the far right. That day the backpack weighed a little more. I was carrying 9 liters of water not knowing how good of a water supply we would have that day.

93883fe2-0313-4b0f-aa4a-3217646e233b.jpg

just started caching:

adding to the above;

poncho

signal mirror

whistle

fire starter

sun block

insect repellent

water bottles

Just a question. I know its good to be prepaired, but those seem more like a survival kit then a Geocaching bag.

That's just good planning. It is a part of the 10 essentials you should carry anytime you hit the trail, even in an urban park setting. It also makes for a good emergency stash on a daily basis if you carry your backpack in the car all the time.

wow, i feel so...unprepared now! i am VERY new to this and live in the city, have yet to go caching more than 5 miles away from home, and usually we can drive within oh, .25 mile at the most, normally more like 50 feet from the cache. but i do have what we call a caching purse that i take with me that has:

camera

gps

phone

pocket knife

pen

wallet, keys, etc.

ray usually has a flashlight and leatherman.

but i will be coming back to this post when we venture out more/further, thanks for the ideas!

wow, i feel so...unprepared now! i am VERY new to this and live in the city, have yet to go caching more than 5 miles away from home, and usually we can drive within oh, .25 mile at the most, normally more like 50 feet from the cache. but i do have what we call a caching purse that i take with me that has:

camera

gps

phone

pocket knife

pen

wallet, keys, etc.

ray usually has a flashlight and leatherman.

but i will be coming back to this post when we venture out more/further, thanks for the ideas!

:D I was so unprepared when I first started. My setup is based on 4 years of hiking and upgrades and replacements. Don't just carry, but practice what to do with what you carry, even if it's in your backyard. You'll find a lot of the emergency things that are typically sold is useless junk. Better to find out in your backyard than to find out when you need it the most.

:):D

as TotemLake said, just planning for the worst case scenario. We can have weird weather in Iowa, never know what's gonna hit you. I think about the people every year that go out for 1/2 day excursions and something happens and they're left out in the wilds for a couple days without even a jacket and I don't want to be that guy.

just started caching:

adding to the above;

poncho

signal mirror

whistle

fire starter

sun block

insect repellent

water bottles

If you cache in remote areas, a survival bag is far more useful than having extra logbooks, pencils, and trade items.

Priorities are different when you drive from one parking lot to another looking for lamppost caches, than hiking 14 miles for a cache in terrain devoid of running water.

I carry:

Identification

Snacks

Flashlight

Batteries for flashlight

Swag

GPS

Charger for GPS

Logbook

Pens/pencils

Ipod (paperless caching)

Digital camera

Cell phone

Bug repellent

Swiss army knife

Water bottles that have been frozen in the freezer

Extra Socks

Emergency rain ponchos

Extra boots (I usually leave them in the car - I always end up stepping in a swamp up to my knees and they get wet even if they are waterproof! I also leave extra clothes in the car)

First Aid Kit complete with liquid stitches

Sunscreen

Maps

Collapsing water and food bowls for the geodog who always comes along!

Dog crunchies

Whenever I go hiking in deep woods, I mark the car and take a flare gun and flares in the backpack. In winter I add more layers of clothes, hand warmers, matches and fire-starting kit, and a thermal blanket.

Edited by sequens_vitae_mortem

A huge variation on the theme is 'what type of caching are you doing?'

"Going caching" for me is WAY different than "going hiking... during which I will likely come upon a cache or few that need to be found".

If I'm just "going caching" I no longer bother with a bag. I'd probably walk a couple of miles to and fro w/o anything other than my GPS, camera and a pen. (Profile photo shows exactly that... camera and GPS in hand, pen was in right side back pocket.)

If I was "going hiking", I'd carry a backpack full of the necessary safety items, comforts I must have (day hike? overnighter?) plus... my GPS, camera and a pen.

michelle

I nearly always carry a hand gun. We usually are caching in the forest and recently came across a fresh cougar kill. It was kind of spooky knowing that there was a cougar nearby. I'll probably never need the weapon, but you just never know.

"Going caching" for me is WAY different than "going hiking... during which I will likely come upon a cache or few that need to be found".

If I'm just "going caching" I no longer bother with a bag. I'd probably walk a couple of miles to and fro w/o anything other than my GPS, camera and a pen. (Profile photo shows exactly that... camera and GPS in hand, pen was in right side back pocket.)

If I was "going hiking", I'd carry a backpack full of the necessary safety items, comforts I must have (day hike? overnighter?) plus... my GPS, camera and a pen.

michelle

If you are going with CurmudeonlyGal.. add 2 liters of wine and a boom box.

michelle

If you are going with CurmudeonlyGal.. add 2 liters of wine and a boom box.

A half rack of good beer works too. <_<

One thing no one has mentioned is extra laces for your shoes/boots. If you've ever broken a lace on a backpacking trip, you'll be really happy with yourself if you remembered to pack spares.

Never been a problem... always found a cache which some nice cacher has left bootlaces in as a swap!!

Chris