Dangerous Locations

Just a quick question. Is there actually anything in the rules to prevent placement in dangerous locations? I cannot actually find anything that specifically asks this. There are questions about locations deemed as terrorist targets etc. If there is, why are the moderators not picking up on it? I have recently briefly visited a cache which was on the side of a main road (crash barrier). I was unwilling to pursue the search any further for personal safety reasons, and in this case have asked the cache owner to reconsider the location, but cannot actually find in the rules that the cache should not be here (other than common sense).

Regards

Jerry (Xixau).

Just a quick question. Is there actually anything in the rules to prevent placement in dangerous locations? I cannot actually find anything that specifically asks this. There are questions about locations deemed as terrorist targets etc. If there is, why are the moderators not picking up on it? I have recently briefly visited a cache which was on the side of a main road (crash barrier). I was unwilling to pursue the search any further for personal safety reasons, and in this case have asked the cache owner to reconsider the location, but cannot actually find in the rules that the cache should not be here (other than common sense).

Regards

Jerry (Xixau).

Most of my caches, which primarily include the Psycho Urban Cache series, are placed in extremely dangerous locations, at least if sought by someone who does not possess the necessary skills, training and equipment, or who does not employ the needed levels of care and caution when seeking the cache. In fact, the very act of seeking a good number of these caches, including also my Psycho Backcountry Cache #3, could kill or badly maim a seeker in a split second if they failed to exercise due care and/or failed to use the proper equipment and skills in seeking the cache. However, it is also true that driving a car -- which is something that most cachers do most of the time while on their way to hunt a cache -- is also extremely dangerous and downright deadly if done without the proper training, skills and/or without the exercise of great care and caution. The only think that I expect regarding a cache placed in a dangerous location is that the cache listing page bear the appropriate Difficulty and Terrain rating, and that it also display the appropriate attribute icons, and that the text in the description explicitly state any particular hazards or dangers which a seeker might face, particularly those that might otherwise blind-side a seeker.

You'll come to find that the is plenty of gaurdrail caches out there along with caches on bridges which I think falls into you category.

I ignore the ones like this in my home area, they do come in handy when you are traveling though...easy access with a quick grab and you're back on the road! Just right when a cache attack happens, you know, the "I gotta find a cache....NOW"

The problem is this: What constitutes a dangerous location? Most people will agree that a steep cliff is a dangerous location. What about a muddy hillside? What about a parking pulloff on a road where people just fly and don't pay attention? The whole outdoors is a dangerous location, to varying degrees.

The important thing is to list any potential unusual dangers, so that cachers can make their own informed decision whether or not to seek the cache, based on their skills, fears and mood.

I found a bunch of caches along CA Highway 1 on Monday during my last day out west after Geowoodstock 6. Many of the locations had signs warning of Dangerous Cliffs and unstable ground. One even had a manufactured sign stating the trail was officially closed due to storm damage-proceed at your own risk. (gugdam gummint lawyers)

So I used common sense and stayed far enough back from the edge to enjoy the spectacular views and find the caches. No worries here.

I'll try to remember to return to this thread and add a pic or three when I get them downloaded from the camera to my computer.

Here in CT, several climbing gear required 5 terrain caches have popped up. The owners have put warnings saying not attempt them without ropes because a fall could result in death, but I know one person who free-climbed one of them to get the cache. That's just crazy to me, but his abilities allowed him to do it.

Edited by Skippermark

I've done some caches that could be considered dangerous because a mistake (usually a fall) could injure or kill. But 'danger' isn't the defining characteristic, since there's a redeeming aspect of challenge and exhilaration involved.

The caches that are 'dangerous' with no redeeming value are those on guardrails and median strips where a bonehead error by a driver could wipe you out. My widow wouldn't even have the consolation of saying, "At least he was doing what he loved" (to the bank teller when she deposited the enormous insurance check). :D

How much of a warning should be warented would you think? In my cache it is located underwater near the shorline of a river above some rapids. But the shore is littered with great hiding spots where someone without great accuracy might look instead.

Part of the challenge is figuring out that it isin the water and not on land. But i placed the attribute [May require wading]. so it already is practicly givin away.

I also placed a large warning after a fellow cacher said i should have one.

What this boils down to is that i made it a 4/4 on the assumption that you would now know exactly where it would be and being underwater as a surprise from most caches ive looked for. but the attribute and warning spoil it.

Would a 4/4 with a minimal warning and no attribute or wading be accurate enough?

Edit: Its not like within arms reach of the shore either, and when the river swells it could be quite dangerous. Which i think i should have some warning, but like I said, the shore has amazazing hiding places and its the challenge to believe your GPS is really pointing into the water.

Edited by herrozerro

Herrozerro, water poses an interesting problem. I'd say most people overestimate the the dangers involved with heights, and underestimate those involved with water. Particularly moving water. So you're right to be pondering.

I cannot find an easy answer. While the area of river it resides in is fairly quiet, (I placed it by hand with a friend and had no trouble) in certain instances it might be dangerous. But part of the challenge is that it is in water, not a normal place for a cache.

I do not want to give away the cache but also want people to be safe.