Hiking shoes

softball29

OK, it's time for me to get some new wheels for my feet, so I'm trying to do some research. I'm getting a new pair of sneaks and being I don't want to have to use trainer-type sneaks for caching, I decided I need to look into some hiking boot-type footwear.

However, I don't want boots. I just don't really like the feel of hiking boots, especially in the summer months. So, I'm looking at hiking type shoes.

Anyone have any ideas/suggestions? What should I look for. I'm a fan of shopping through Zappos, so I'll likely order from there. I saw some shoes called Fitzwell, which look kind of decent with good traction (and a good price). I also don't mind the Columbia sneaks and all, especially if I use them for mainly caching.

Ideas/thoughts/suggestions on what I should look for?

Thanks!

I'm wearing some Columbia's. Put about 5 miles on them today in the hills. No problems at all.

Anyone have any ideas/suggestions? What should I look for. I'm a fan of shopping through Zappos, so I'll likely order from there. I saw some shoes called Fitzwell, which look kind of decent with good traction (and a good price). I also don't mind the Columbia sneaks and all, especially if I use them for mainly caching.

Ideas/thoughts/suggestions on what I should look for?

Thanks!

I've worn Columbia footwear for more than 2500 cache hunts. I have both hiking boots and lightweight trail shoes. The Columbia trail shoes are my everyday footwear and are the most comfortable shoes I've ever had on my feet.

So, I highly recommend the Columbia brand, but I remind you that footwear is a very personal thing. What one person calls "good support," another person calls "stiff." Trying on several pairs of shoes at a shoe store or sporting goods store is a good idea.

So, I highly recommend the Columbia brand, but I remind you that footwear is a very personal thing. What one person calls "good support," another person calls "stiff." .

That is very true. Shoes that fit great for one person might be living hell on the feet of another.

Most hiking boot mfrs. also make low top hiking shoes. Perhaps this is something for you to look into. They give a lot more support and protection than sneakers and are usually waterproof. Some brands to look for are Merrell, Salomon, Rachlie, Vasque, Keen, Danner, Asolo, Lowa and LL Bean.

Hiking shoes

f_75739_1.jpg

Another choice might be trail runners which are essentially sneakers on steroids. Not as much support as a low top hiker, but more than your basic running shoes. Salomon makes some good ones.

Trail Runners

f_96978_1.jpg

Whatever you get look for a Gore Tex liner so your feet stay dry when walking on wet grass or through puddles.

Edited by briansnat

Good luck geocaching with hiking shoes.

One month into geocaching, I twisted my right ankle and fell to the ground with the sound of a loud crack. Writhing in pain on the ground, I crawled around until I found a sturdy tree branch to use as a crutch. Several agonizing hours later, I made it back to the van ... and to the hospital.

I had a fractured fibula! A week later I was geocaching on crutches with my leg in a cast.

That was two years ago and it still hurts. But today, I wear hiking boots with ankle support. After all, I still have ONE good ankle left.

So, while you're looking for hiking shoes, I suggest you also consider investing in a pair of hiking boots. At least for going after a terrain 3 cache!

Trying not to be preachy ... just some friendly advice from someone who's been there, done that.

I highly recommend going to a good outdoor equipment store like REI or Adventure 16 where they have several excellent brands of hiking shoes/boots you can try on. I have a bum foot now from wearing the wrong shoes and now the only brands that fit my feet are Asolo, Lowa, and Vasque. Also, I don't take a step without "Superfeet" insoles in my shoes, unless I am wearing my Chaco sandals.

Once you figure out which brands fit your feet, you might save some money ordering from Sierra Trading Post, if they carry the same brand and model. That is where I got my Asolo boots.

In all my years of hiking and spending time in the woods that is one thing I don't skimp on. Personally I wear a pair of hiking boots as that is all that I have right now. I really need to get some trail shoes of some sort in the near future.

I use liner and wool socks in my boots to keep a tight fit as well as to help my feet from sliding around in my boots. Also, with having a liner sock it will wick all of the moisture from your feet and into the wool socks. Now you can substitute the wool socks for synthetic socks, but personally I like wool and they are not against my skin directly, some people tend to itch when wearing wool. Both types of socks have their ups and downs but the big reason that I use wool is becuase in cold weather even if wool gets wet it will still keep you warm.

I like to shop at REI as they have a really good selection of shoes and the employees are actually knowledgeable and in most cases have the same hobbies, ie backpacking and hiking.

Shoes VS. Boots boils down to personal preference, comfort and use.

-Axel

Edited by axeldoomeyer

One month into geocaching, I twisted my right ankle and fell to the ground with the sound of a loud crack. Writhing in pain on the ground, I crawled around until I found a sturdy tree branch to use as a crutch. Several agonizing hours later, I made it back to the van ... and to the hospital.

I had a fractured fibula! A week later I was geocaching on crutches with my leg in a cast.

That was two years ago and it still hurts. But today, I wear hiking boots with ankle support. After all, I still have ONE good ankle left.

So, while you're looking for hiking shoes, I suggest you also consider investing in a pair of hiking boots. At least for going after a terrain 3 cache!

Trying not to be preachy ... just some friendly advice from someone who's been there, done that.

I have to go with Michigansnorkeler on this one. Yesterday I was out and had three Caches loaded and ready to find…two were in residential areas and the last was about 200 meters off the road, I wasn’t going to wear my boots but decided to since it lloked like rain and they are waterproof. I put on my hiking boots, and it was a good thing I did, I went down hard on the last cache and I was really Happy I had on my Salomon hiking boots that have a high top that protects my ankles. I would have twisted it worse if it hadn’t been for the extra support. They are fairly lightweight and are not a hassle in the summer. So there you have it, my 2 cents.

Almost more important than the boots are the insoles. Most of the standard insoles aren't worth having. The superfeet are pretty good but once you try Lynco insoles you'll never go back. Not in any way affiliated with Lynco just been using them for about 5 years now in ALL of my shoes. Never have sore tired feet at the end of the day anymore.

Trooper

Though I am with you about boots as they give me blisters on my ankles and shins plus I don't like the feel, I add to the emphasis that you need to try on whatever you plan to buy. Here's my story: I wore Merrell high tops (not boots, just 3/4 style) because they fit like my own skin. Nothing better. Grip. You could "feel" the terrain which lessened your chances of slippage. Waterproof.

Then, while riding my quad on the Black Trails at Hatfield McCoy's in WV, what you see in the picture happened. I had to ride three hours in the roughest country at Hatfields back to the truck. Doctor said "minimal displacement" and it was casted for six weeks. BUT! After that "minimal displacement" Merrell shoes no longer fit like they used to. Just that minimal change in my foot geometry displaced my pinkie metatarsal and the Merrel's gave be a big honking painful callous at the base of my pinkie. I tried all sorts of remedies, grinding it off, cutting it off with a razor, pumice stone.... nothing worked. One day with the Merrells and it was back with a vengeance.

Off I limped to Mikey's Army navy who I know had a good selection and where I had bought all my Merrells. Tried on 20 hitops.... When I put on a Hi-tec 44100 it was heaven. Been happy since. O, and I wear full blown AlpineStar motocross boots now on the quad. They are like wearing a cast, but you are not hiking per se... and I sure won't miss 6 weeks of action again....

fracture.jpg

Very good point michigansnorkeler,

Get some real boots. Spend the time at a real outdoor store like REI plan of trying on severel styles form several companies. You can find hiking boots that are comfortable. If a boot is not comfortable it is the wrong boot for your feet.

It does not matter what boot fits another persons feet, that is not the way to buy a hiking boot.

Also, stay away from cotton sox, get sox with at least 30% "Merino wool", 100% is even better.

Merino wool is not itchy and wool will wick the moisture away from your feel and keep your feet dry and healty, the only thing cotton will do is keep your feet wet and that will lead to other health issues.

Unless you know ahead of time what kind of terrain your are going to be hikking in, hiking can lead to problems, your hiking boots are the most important gear when going into the back country

Though I am with you about boots as they give me blisters on my ankles and shins

If your boots are giving you blisters, they are not fitted properly. In most cases the blisters are caused from friction that is created when your foot is slipping in the boot, having wet feet (from cotton sox) can also cuase blisters.

Edited by JohnnyVegas
Though I am with you about boots as they give me blisters on my ankles and shins

If your boots are giving you blisters, they are not fitted properly. In most cases the blisters are caused from friction that is created when your foot is slipping in the boot, having wet feet (from cotton sox) can also cuase blisters.

No, any and all boots do that. I hate boots. It's the way I walk + the weird configuration of my feet and that's not gonna change. I would have to pay to have custom boots made. I have broken both feet (navicular bones) and have "duck feet" according to my podiatrist.

edit for typo and embellishment

Edited by Rattlebars