Non active cache owner question

There is a local cacher that isn't active anymore. In fact its been a 5 months since this person has even logged on and it appears they are letting all thier caches "go." One of these happens to be my favorite and I would like to see it stay but it has definately been muggled. I had thought to just replace it myself and just keep an eye on it since I believe the person has to be willing to respond to my request to adopt it. What is the common thought on this? Any suggestions?

If adoption requests go unanswered and the cache is not being maintained, it might be best to post a 'needs archived' on it (assuming that it already has needs maintenance logs). If it is a good location this would make it possible for someone to place a new cache there and take proper care of it.

If adoption requests go unanswered and the cache is not being maintained, it might be best to post a 'needs archived' on it (assuming that it already has needs maintenance logs). If it is a good location this would make it possible for someone to place a new cache there and take proper care of it.

Except if the cache goes, so does all its history. We have a local cache that has a lot of history and the cache owner is truly gone (for years), but we just maintain it and keep it going. If somebody puts a "needs maintenance" log on, then we have to get the local reviewer to clear that attribute once it is fixed up.

As someone else pointed out, 5 months is not that long, especially when most of them are winter months.

Except if the cache goes, so does all its history. We have a local cache that has a lot of history and the cache owner is truly gone (for years), but we just maintain it and keep it going. If somebody puts a "needs maintenance" log on, then we have to get the local reviewer to clear that attribute once it is fixed up.

As someone else pointed out, 5 months is not that long, especially when most of them are winter months.

The history does not go away. The cache page remains as do all the logs. You can still access the page to see the history. The one thing that pretty much never goes away is the history.

The history does not go away. The cache page remains as do all the logs. You can still access the page to see the history. The one thing that pretty much never goes away is the history.

Yes, but access is limited. Are we going to see the ability to search archived caches returned any time soon?

ugh, community supported caches.

I'm guilty of doing it. Of course it seems like a good thing.

The owner never responds to posted emails, including ones sent by land managers, no one updates the cache page when it's needed.

but people are sentimental and don't want to see a sometimes working cache archived.....

We have a cache here that has the same thing going on with it. The owner has not signed in since Oct 2005!!

The cache got arcived when it went un-maintaned and then people started logging finds on it again and the reviewer activated it again and ask if anyone wanted to adopt it. I said I would and have yet to get an answer from the owner .

So I fixed up a nice new cache with a fresh log and placed it there. I sent an email to the owner (in looking at the past caches they own they have let them all get archived) in hopes I can take it over. Thanks for the advice, I just hope things work out!

JR

Caches need an owner. If the land-owner who granted permission wants to contact the cache owner they can't do it with abandoned "community maintained" caches.

Caches need a responsible maintainer who can be contacted to resolve issues when needed.

So on at least two issues abandoned caches no longer meet the listing guidelines.

For 'special' caches, first in a state, etc. Groundspeak may allow an adoption without the owner.

For the most part, archive it, put a new cache there and link to the old listing if you want its history to be available.

There is a local cacher that isn't active anymore. In fact its been a 5 months since this person has even logged on and it appears they are letting all thier caches "go." One of these happens to be my favorite and I would like to see it stay but it has definately been muggled. I had thought to just replace it myself and just keep an eye on it since I believe the person has to be willing to respond to my request to adopt it. What is the common thought on this? Any suggestions?

There was one like this literally within walking distance from our house. Its in a really fun spot and the owner had not signed in since 2005. The cache had so much mold in it people were scared to touch it when they found it. I replaced the container and contents. Then I wrote our volunteer and spoke with him about it. He posted a note to see what the owner's intent to do with the cache and gave him 4 weeks. I have since adopted it since he never replied back.

There was one like this literally within walking distance from our house. Its in a really fun spot and the owner had not signed in since 2005. The cache had so much mold in it people were scared to touch it when they found it. I replaced the container and contents. Then I wrote our volunteer and spoke with him about it. He posted a note to see what the owner's intent to do with the cache and gave him 4 weeks. I have since adopted it since he never replied back.

Since the recent change in adoption policy - it is no longer possible to do a "non-consensual" adoption - no matter the reason.

Best to post a note on the page in addtion to an email to the owner - give them time to respond. Then post a NA log on it and wait again until it gets archived - then you can go out and hide a cache of your own there. Link to the archived cache for a historical perspective.