People Ask You, What You Are Doing?

Aquakeeper

We tell them---but we are very seldom asked.

One memorable time, we were accosted by a bunch of gregarious teens while we were "out in the country" hunting for a geocache. Once they discovered us near "their" local fishing hole, they wanted to know what we were doing, how we were doing it, why we were doing it, etc.

We showed them how to use the GPS and let them join in the hunt. More local kids pulled up as we were in mid hunt, and the kids stopped to explain the whole story so they could join in too. They were very excited when they found the cache, and they all signed the log.

We worried a little about giving away the hide. We didn't fret about it much though---We knew the cache owner, and it was easy enough to replace a cache like that and relocate it a few feet if it had been compromised.

---but we need not have worried at all--it is still active two years later.

I tell them I'm on a scavenger hunt. Most understand right away and go on with their business. If they become more inquisitive, I'll provide more details about geocaching.

If there are muggles at GZ, I may even ask them to move to complete my scavenger hunt.

Edited by Chuy!

"We have a contract with the county to inspect all the bridges along this road for latent defects."

"I dropped my keys here two days ago. You haven't seen them, have you?"

"We're looking for the space aliens." This one works better if you can get kind of a wild look in your eye.

"I bet my wife here that this tree was within fifty yards of the parking lot." And nodoby has ever asked why.

Edited by imajeep

I have bumped into people and I just explain what I am doing. Some people help and some just ask when I see them again "did you find what you were looking for?". I had one person tell me that if they saw a geocache they now know to not take it out of the woods and think it is trash. These people helped us find the cache .

I have had to explain to the police what I was doing too. They said OK and let us go back to searching. He stopped becacuse he saw our car park in the spot for awhile and thought we were having car trouble.

It funny to hear them radio in they are just geocaching. Then he told us were we should have parked.

Just curious what people say when other people come across you while out searching.

Do u guys tell them what u are doing and explain geocaching or just tell them u are doing somthing else?

Just tell them you are looking for a spot to hide "the body" :) I'm guessing they will probably leave you alone after that

No joke: In Portland about 6 months ago, a land-owner found a man on his property digging a hole. The owner called the police and the man said he was digging for Mt. St. Helens ash. The hole was 6 feet long, 2 feet wide, 2 feet deep... Hmmmmmmmmm... Here's the story, funny read.

Edited by ReadyOrNot

I will either use the scavenger hunt line or one that I recently saw elsewhere on the forums, "My friend hid something here for me to find and I'm looking for it." Since they assume that you will find it and take it, there is a reduced chance of it being muggled later!

There's always the classic, "I'm using the government's multi-billion dollar satellite system to find Tupperware under a bush!"

I guess the funniest episode for us was when we explained that we were geocaching the elderly gentlement stated that he had heard there was one around there, but nobody seemed able to find it. Well we looked where at the log he was sitting on and it was obvious that he was sitting on the cache.

:)

So far, I haven't been bothered by muggles, but I've always been ready with the "Geocacheing" (with explanations) answer or with the "I'm using this device to speak with flying things in space and they're telling me where to find an old tupperware."

I'm always happy to explain geocaching to anyone who will listen. That has on occasion included the police, who are often curious about the activity; one New Hampshire officer promised he was going to start the very next day.

It's a great opportunity to open our world to others; take advantage of it!

Jeannette (angevine)

"This place really isn't that radioactive, so don't worry about it"

"I did NOT bury the body here, I only heard there was one here"

"I'm looking for my dog's contact lenses"

"There's a hidden camera in that tree over there, and you just ruined another episode of the new Jackass series"

"If you see an electronic ankle bracelet around here, PLEASE let me know, my parole officer has been really grumpy lately"

"I'm trying to catch my little imaginary friend named "Geo".

"I'm geocaching" :blink:

I use the "Scavenger hunt" line too. Sometimes I am really into finding the Cache and dont want to explain everything to a passing muggle. Most people understand scaveger hunt and then leave you alone. I have had to explain myself to family members several times.....in fact thats how I got into it when I asked my aunt's boyfriend what this Geocaching was. Now I have my two brothers, two uncles, and one of my best friends addicted. I think this sport/hobby/game catches on the fasted by word of mouth and by just taking someone out with you. :D

Edited by GroveBird

I will either use the scavenger hunt line or one that I recently saw elsewhere on the forums, "My friend hid something here for me to find and I'm looking for it." Since they assume that you will find it and take it, there is a reduced chance of it being muggled later!

There's always the classic, "I'm using the government's multi-billion dollar satellite system to find Tupperware under a bush!"

I have used both the "scavenger hunt" and the "trying to find something a friend has hidden" . If the muggles show any more interest I will go into a little more detail and direct them to geocaching.com