GARMIN UPDATE NT NORTH AMERICA 2009 UPDATE

Thanks man. I did all kinds of looking and searching the forum with the search feature. Not sure what i was doing wrong.

Hope forum can forgive me. I truely did search before i posted new topic.

--danny

Here is what Garmin said when I emailed them last week.

Thank you for contacting Garmin Cartography.

The City Navigator North America 2009 update DVD will be available to order from our website around the first or second week of May. The link to the ordering page is below and there is no charge to have the DVD shipped to you. After the DVD is released and you place your order you will receive directions on how to unlock the new maps. The update is normally $75 but since you just purchased your unit it will be free. After the DVD is released you can view the new data using the MapViewer on our website if you wish to preview the new maps.

Please let me know if you have any other questions and thank you for your interest in Garmin.

Regards,

Update DVDs - http://www.garmin.com/unlock/update.jsp

Map Viewer - http://www.garmin.com/cartography/

I'll be interest to see what the cut off date is. I purchased CN NT 2008 with my Colorado when it came out and my wife just got an iQue for traveling that has the free 2009 upgrade.

Will the CN NT 2008 from 1/27/2008 qualify?

I wonder if I can get two free unlock codes?

Here is what Garmin said when I emailed them last week.

Thank you for contacting Garmin Cartography.

The City Navigator North America 2009 update DVD will be available to order from our website around the first or second week of May.

I think you are talking about the "non-NT" version. The OP is talking NT. Different horses....

Hey everyone,

I use NT north america 2008 mapsourse and now see the 2009 update CD is out (least on the websites).

However, i'm surprised to find no discussions about it.

Does anyone have any reviews on it?

Thanks

--danny

-mo_town_man

I don't see anything about 2008 or 2009 at the Garmin website. If I purchase this:

MapSource City Navigator North America NT

For NT compatible units only

Garmin Part Number: 010-10816-00

U.S. List Price: $99.99 (for domestic US market only)

Do I get the 2008 or 2009 Version?

I don't see anything about 2008 or 2009 at the Garmin website. If I purchase this:

MapSource City Navigator North America NT

For NT compatible units only

Garmin Part Number: 010-10816-00

U.S. List Price: $99.99 (for domestic US market only)

Do I get the 2008 or 2009 Version?

Only the update version is out, not the full version. They "should" allow you to upgrade for free, but I would phone Garmin first. They do not post update dates anymore.....

I think you are talking about the "non-NT" version. The OP is talking NT. Different horses....

Out of topic, somehow, non-nt version update has been only available from garmin in the past, and garmin always charges more ($75) than NT (which you can get around $50+ to $69 from various retailers)

If you do not qualify for free update, do not buy NT from garmin. For non-NT update, you have no choice.

I known 60csx and etrex vista hcx is fine with either NT (as advertised) or or non-nt (not advertise) map, The latter requires bigger storage but is bit quicker in response & redraw (no uncompression).

Anyone heard anything on when the full version of '09 will be out?

I spoke with Garmin this morning and they said that the update is releasing today and that the full version should hit the marketplace within 2 weeks.

Any "elligible" Garmin GPS unit bought and registered after March 31, 2008 will receive a free update.

What I think sucks is that IF I bought the 2008 version today, I would have to rebuy the 2009 version when it is released OR spend the $$ on the update.

Any "elligible" Garmin GPS unit bought and registered after March 31, 2008 will receive a free update.

What I think sucks is that IF I bought the 2008 version today, I would have to rebuy the 2009 version when it is released OR spend the $$ on the update.

I think there’s some confusion here. Maybe it’s mine, but in the past it has always depended on when you unlocked the maps, not when you bought and registered the unit, that determined whether you qualified for a free upgrade. So if you buy and unlock the 2008 version today and the cutoff date is March 31, you should qualify for a free upgrade to 2009.

Maybe the Garmin person you spoke with was talking about units that come with pre-loaded maps.

By the way, Darrel Goheen of authorized Garmin dealer tvnav.com posted in alt.satellite.gps.garmin on March 31 that Garmin told him the cutoff date for the free upgrades would be March 1. I tried to get Garmin to confirm that by phone and email. Both times the response was that Garmin could not comment on that. Darrel’s information is usually accurate.

Im confused...is this update just for City Nav or is there an update for topo out too? please excuse my ignorance.

just for CN.

Topo 2008 was released last year. The previous Topo (calld v.3.02) was released in 1999, you won't see a topo update for, perhaps, another 8 years.

Topo 24k natl parks v3 was released in 2006, that update may be has a bit shorter life cycle, but still only one in every few years.

Im confused...is this update just for City Nav or is there an update for topo out too? please excuse my ignorance.

just for CN.

Topo 2008 was released last year. The previous Topo (calld v.3.02) was released in 1999, you won't see a topo update for, perhaps, another 8 years.

Topo 24k natl parks v3 was released in 2006, that update may be has a bit shorter life cycle, but still only one in every few years.

Well . . . that certainly sux for Mac users, now doesn't it!

Norm

just for CN.

Well . . . that certainly sux for Mac users, now doesn't it!

Norm

Not sure If I follow. Topo 2008 for the Mac is out now. I just got CN for the Mac.

Not sure If I follow. Topo 2008 for the Mac is out now. I just got CN for the Mac.

I wasn't aware thre was a Topo avail. for the Mac side, I thought that we still had to do that stupid

conversion thing w/ the Windows version.

Got a link, or hint where to find it?

Norm

Edited by RRLover

These guys a just slightly more but are a solid company. I bought my city nav for mac from them as well as my ram mounts. I got a colorado coming and that shipped the other day.

http://www.gpscity.com/item-garmin-topogra...ac/cdtopo8m.htm

Magellan must die! They make Bushnell and Cobra look good.

I'm teetering on the edge, a couple more gusts and I'll fall into the Garmin pool.

Thanks group, may not be long now, BuBye Parallels, BuBye Windows, BuBye XL!

Now, to CSX, or to Colorado, that is the question.

Unless (????) releases some interesting news; judging by the way the market winds

blow, someone else is do to do somethin', timings about right I'd say.

C'mon at least talk about something to de-sway the fence sitters.

Norm

Just to let you all know... I purchased a nuvi250 in April, and registered it immediately... today, I have a link on mygarmin that allows me to get the 2009 update for free. Mind you, it is a 2GB file, so it is a long ol' download, but the price is certainly right!

Just to let you all know... I purchased a nuvi250 in April, and registered it immediately... today, I have a link on mygarmin that allows me to get the 2009 update for free. Mind you, it is a 2GB file, so it is a long ol' download, but the price is certainly right!

Yes, I got my update for for my Nuvi as well. 2009 download will begin today.