palm problems help please

Hi

I have a palm tungsten/E which I cant get to hot sync. I have called palm which I was told my operating system wasnt compatible which I am running XP media center. Does anyone know how to get around this issue? So that I can use this unit for paperless caching. Any help would be greatly appreciated. One other thing could I just insert the SD card into the pc and load the info then place in the Palm and completely skip the hot sync all together.

Thanks for any input into this problem

Joy

Hi

I have a palm tungsten/E which I cant get to hot sync. I have called palm which I was told my operating system wasnt compatible which I am running XP media center. Does anyone know how to get around this issue? So that I can use this unit for paperless caching. Any help would be greatly appreciated. One other thing could I just insert the SD card into the pc and load the info then place in the Palm and completely skip the hot sync all together.

Thanks for any input into this problem

Joy

Don't have any personal experience with media center but this post might help you

http://forum.brighthand.com/showthread.php?t=223330

I have the same OS and had some success using a program called Pilot Install to send the .pdb files for Cachemate using it. However, I had to close all programs, log off the "limited" account, log in to the Administrator account, only open Pilot Install, and then hope it worked without getting the "Blue Screen of Death." Sometimes it would . . . sometimes it wouldn't.

Now I take the card out of my Palm m500 and transfer the .pdb files directly.

For backing up what is on the Palm, I occasionally HotSync it on a computer running Win2K.

Wow. After Merigee, did nobody read what the OP wrote?

"I was told my operating system wasnt compatible which I am running XP media center."

XP MCE is not XP-pro, not XP-home and not Vista. As Merigee correctly stated, There are KNOWN issues with Palm and XP Media Center Edition

http://forums.palm.com/palm/board/message?...essage.id=31768

http://forums.palmone.com/palm/board/messa...;query.id=75852

(There are known issues with Vista, too. But Palm has posted an updated patch that supposedly fixes the problem)

Wee Be Team, You may very well find that the best option is the one you already mentioned: "just insert the SD card into the pc and load the info then place in the Palm and completely skip the hot sync all together." The .pdb file generated by GSAK, or GPSBabel or CMConvert could be transferred to your SD card via card reader. The correct directory for cachemate would be "Palm > Launcher". My hotsync woks very well, but I actually prefer this method.

After putting the SD card back in your PDA, start Cachemate and, if you are not prompted, do Option > Rescan Memory Card. Close and then restart Cachemate and you will be prompted to select a database for your Cachemate files.

Please post back here if you find a different workaround so that others with the same conflict can resolve it.

Edited by cliff_hanger