Premium Membership

Kotterlee

So I was wondering if those of you who have the premium membership thinks it's worth it? I suppose I could splurge for 3 bucks and just try it out for a month and see what I think. But if it's not worth it...?

Also, I was looking at a cache to find.... and it had the coordinates and everything... then at the bottom it said "premium members only" Does that mean it is off limits to me even though the coordinates are visible? I'm a general rule follower, so I don't want to do something that is a rule breaker even thought it seems like I COULD do it with out the premium membership.

So I was wondering if those of you who have the premium membership thinks it's worth it? I suppose I could splurge for 3 bucks and just try it out for a month and see what I think. But if it's not worth it...?

Also, I was looking at a cache to find.... and it had the coordinates and everything... then at the bottom it said "premium members only" Does that mean it is off limits to me even though the coordinates are visible? I'm a general rule follower, so I don't want to do something that is a rule breaker even thought it seems like I COULD do it with out the premium membership.

Just became a premium member myself, and I already see the "worth" as I also just got started with the paperless routine.

Weird that the member only cahe had the coords showing, UNLESS those coords are a decoy and the REAL coords are hidden in the description.

Not everybody that geocaches needs a premium membership. It really depends on how you geocache and what type of information you need. If your just out for the occasional hike and want to grab some nearby caches, premium membership might not be needed. If your visiting an area and want to get a list of all the nearby caches and data so you can find a cache, then downloading a PQ (premium member feature) would be of great help.

The best way is to buy that $3 membership and try it out and see how much you use the extra features. As for me, I rely heavily on the premium member features due to the amount of caching I do, so the $30/yr is well worth it.

Two great benefits are "Caches along a Route" and Pocket Queries. Those 2 alone make it worthwhile. Paperless caching saves me hundreds in printer ink.

However, the absolute best reason is just to support the fine folks that work so hard to keep this fine website up and running and functional for all of us. Well worth the $30 per year right there.

This weekend I had to made a trip of a couple hundred miles. Before I went I did my first “Caches along a Route" and then did a Pocket Query on that rout that generated exactly the caches I wanted and uploaded the results into my GPSr. It was fast and easy the first try. It made my trip a lot more fun and interesting, ya it’s worth it. And it feels better to support this system I am using rather than just taking the freebies.

Just wondering…as I am thinking about the same thing. Where would you choose your route for the “Caches along a Route” option… and could someone give me a run down of what a Pocket Query is…? Why and when would you use it? I’ve read some information about it but still a bit confused.

Two great benefits are "Caches along a Route" and Pocket Queries. Those 2 alone make it worthwhile. Paperless caching saves me hundreds in printer ink.

However, the absolute best reason is just to support the fine folks that work so hard to keep this fine website up and running and functional for all of us. Well worth the $30 per year right there.

DITTO!

Just wondering…as I am thinking about the same thing. Where would you choose your route for the “Caches along a Route” option… and could someone give me a run down of what a Pocket Query is…? Why and when would you use it? I’ve read some information about it but still a bit confused.

Thanks Jplimages I had the same questions!

Again... that cache that had the coordinates listed... there was a full description... where at the end it said "premium members only"

Again... that cache that had the coordinates listed... there was a full description... where at the end it said "premium members only"

I'm wondering if when it says "Premium Members Only", it's refering to the greyed out buttons on the page that are for the "GPX Exchange File" and the "Send to GPS".

I believe those only work for premium members. I can't tell for sure because I have the premium membership so I will see them differently.

Those buttons however are another benefit of the premium membership. The .loc files (available to all members) only have the most basic information. The .gpx files (available to premium members) however have everything. Hints, logs, additional waypoints, D/T, Size, you name it.

Try the premium membership for a month. If you don't like it, you're out 3 bucks. That's like 2 good cups of coffee. I say though, once you start working with pocket queries, you won't know how you ever got on without them.

Cheers!

The description section, that says what you should bring and stuff there the cache owner wrote detailed instructions how to get there and such and then, "Premium Members Only"

The actual wording placed on all subscriber-only caches is "This is a subscriber-only cache." It is located directly under the size of the cache at the top of the listing...

Maybe the guy who placed it originally had it as "Premium Members Only" and then changed it. Sound like he just wrote it in the description.

To check this, look up my only subscriber-only cache: GC1A56N

Let me know what you see......

The description section, that says what you should bring and stuff there the cache owner wrote detailed instructions how to get there and such and then, "Premium Members Only"

The actual wording placed on all subscriber-only caches is "This is a subscriber-only cache." It is located directly under the size of the cache at the top of the listing...

Maybe the guy who placed it originally had it as "Premium Members Only" and then changed it. Sound like he just wrote it in the description.

I seen an error page...

Here is a tutorial on Pocket Queries: http://www.markwell.us/pq.htm

Pocket queries are used to download a batch of up to 500 caches coordinates and descriptions at a time. You can specify what types of caches you like and where in the query. Caches along a route do the samething but instead of a circlular area you get caches along a path (road/highway) to visit while you are traveling.

I seen an error page...

Try this

For $2.50 a month (if you pay for a year in advance) you're looking at about 8 cents per day. If you can't afford 8 cents per day, you certainly can't afford the gas to go geocaching. And if you're caching by bike or some other mode of transportation ... you're buying bike tires, tennis shoes, or something at the rate of 8 cents per mile to support your time or travel.

There are LOTS of reasons to have a premium membership. Zooming on the maps alone could be worth 8 cents per day, depending on what you are doing.

Pocket Queries aren't hard to figure out. You're paying for them so why not use them?

I'm glad that you joined and I hope you keep your membership. It's important to support the sport from the geocaching.com side. They aren't perfect, but I'd hate to try to do this without them.

WHAT HE SAID! Absolutely 100%!

I'm trying out the Premium Membership for a month. I'm a new geocacher who still hasn't logged a find. I've been using the PQs and today I tried out the cache along a route feature. Had to go to the local mall. I thought that was a great feature. Came away with four DNFs, but still a great feature!