Codes

fishdirt

Ok, I've just delved into the arena known as mystery caches and I must say after I stood back the codes I found that seemed difficult at first became fairly obvious after talking to my friend google.

I want to make a code uncheckable on google. One that relies on logic and common sense to break. Code crackers will probably get it in no time but others may cuss me out or ask for hints. My question is this...should I make it this difficult? It's fair game right? Or is there some kind of unfair rule?

Ok, I've just delved into the arena known as mystery caches and I must say after I stood back the codes I found that seemed difficult at first became fairly obvious after talking to my friend google.

I want to make a code uncheckable on google. One that relies on logic and common sense to break. Code crackers will probably get it in no time but others may cuss me out or ask for hints. My question is this...should I make it this difficult? It's fair game right? Or is there some kind of unfair rule?

It's your cache. I think you can make the puzzle as hard as you like. Not everyone will get it.

Not everyone can hike to all caches either. Is a mental challenge that blocks some people out any more unfair than a physical challenge?

I think everyone has the right to try for it. That's different from making it so that everyone can find it.

Anyway, you could give it more stars for the difficulty - that seems like fair warning to me!

Just keep in mind that many cachers will automatically add your puzzle cache to their ignore list. You'll have fewer finds on your puzzle cache than a tough terrain cache or a multi-cache. Be prepared for very few finders.

That doesn't bother me much as I just enjoy coming up with new stuff - if someone solves my puzzle and finds the cache then that's a bonus.

Hey man/woman, what ever trips your trigger, I'm too stupid to decode even the easiiest ones DUH! I say if it feels good do it! Mom always told me I wasn't exactly the brightest bulb in the tree!

I have one that is pretty easy: see if you can figure out this one.

I like the idea of puzzle caches but I suck at them. I dont have a clue on this one :lol::D:P

I love to crack codes. A local cacher gave us a double-whammy some time ago with an encrypted set of coordinates that must first be run through an "Atbash" cypher which is a simple letter-for-letter substitution like you see in the GC hint (A=Z, B=Y, etc...) but it can be shifted to add some complexity. Once you got that figured out he ran it through a "Vignere" cypher which is unsolvable without the key, which was buried in the text of a story he told in the cache listing. It was awesome - quite challenging!

My question is this...should I make it this difficult? It's fair game right? Or is there some kind of unfair rule?

I don't think there is such a thing as too difficult. Actually achievable should be the only criteria. It doesn't have to be achievable for everyone.

Of course, the fewer who can do it is fewer that can enjoy it.