Log Replacement Etiquette?

I made a bunch of little 'zines' for log books in my caches with my logo on them and decided to make a bunch of extras for caches I ran across that had wet or full log books.

Personally, I don't think it's any different than leaving a personal geocoin or wooden nickel, etc. In most cases either I leave my own log or I can't sign, if the log is recoverable I try that first (and always leave the original behind as well).

What are your thoughts?

Here's what the log book looks like:

http://www.xophern71.com/logbook.pdf

I guess I never gave it much thought until I got home tonight and started reading all the rant threads again.

Edited by XopherN71

I made a bunch of little 'zines' for log books in my caches with my logo on them and decided to make a bunch of extras for caches I ran across that had wet or full log books.

Personally, I don't think it's any different than leaving a personal geocoin or wooden nickel, etc. In most cases either I leave my own log or I can't sign, if the log is recoverable I try that first (and always leave the original behind as well).

What are your thoughts?

Here's what the log book looks like:

http://www.xophern71.com/logbook.pdf

I guess I never gave it much thought until I got home tonight and started reading all the rant threads again.

I'd make another set of logs that don't have your personal logo on them, but rather a regular geocaching logo (or some other non-identifying cool image, like an overlay of a photo of the woods & an antique compass rose, etc). That way, your caches are marked as yours, and you're not perceived as trying to claim anyone else's cache.

I'm sure that's not what you're trying to convey at all; it's just that a total stranger might take it that way, which is why I recommend something non-personal.

I do like the idea that there are people out there that replace logs that need replacing when needed - (I never think to carry an extra piece of paper with me).

I agree with another post in that if you're replacing someone elses logs then it doesn't need to have your logo and web address on it. If it were my cache and you placed another log in it, then I would be appreciative, but would not agree with your logo such as that in the cache. Some people may keep their cache logs as a momento and all of the sudden they have one that has your stuff on it and not theirs.

The difference between a geocoin and a log is that others are to take the coins whereas the log is to stay put as though it is part of the cache container itself.

At least that's the way I see it.

I like the 'Replacement log by...' idea along with a note in your GC.com log saying as much. If it has your logo on it and if the cache owner doesn't like it then they can perform some quick maintenance to place a new log.

It shows me that you're kind enough to do some minor maintenance that I, personally, would appreciate.

I carry around some generic small rite-in-the-rain logs I bought just for this occasion. I may try writing 'Replacement log by the Elk Grove Treasure Hunters' on them.

All good points, and I appreciate the input regardless of your stance on this issue.

I looked up the one and only cache I have placed one of these in so far and it seems the owner may not be into the hobby as the first report of needing maintenance was months ago.

Knowing that I guess I don't feel too bad about putting a replacement log in there, even if it does have my 'X' mark on it.

That said, I think I will keep my 'extras' for my own caches and do what some others mentioned and make one that says 'Log Donated by:'

All the best!

'x'

Edited by XopherN71
I always use the golden rule when it comes to cache repairs. I would simply ask: Would I want somebody to do that to one of MY caches? In this case, I would say certainly yes.

Yep, me too. Adding the "courtesy log replacement by" would be good to pencil in above your logo. Nice work!

I'd make another set of logs that don't have your personal logo on them, but rather a regular geocaching logo (or some other non-identifying cool image, like an overlay of a photo of the woods & an antique compass rose, etc). That way, your caches are marked as yours, and you're not perceived as trying to claim anyone else's cache.

I agree. There are a lot of quirky cache owners out there and I can see some taking offense to that. Why not replace the logo with a mini version of the "geo stash note"?

I agree. There are a lot of quirky cache owners out there and I can see some taking offense to that. Why not replace the logo with a mini version of the "geo stash note"?

I'll put in another vote for having generic replacement log books with you. I can think of a few cacher owners that might get upset of a logo of another cacher on their cache log book, so why take the chance for a nice gesture like that to be perceived as anything but positive?

FYI.. I would just be happy that someone helped me out with maintenance of my caches regardless of logo.

Just to add my two pennies....

I wouldn't care if you put that in my cache. In fact I would thank you for replacing the log. However there are some *family friendlies* out there that wouldn't want your logo in their cache. :ph34r:

By the way, thanks for helping to keep caches in good order for the rest of us. I wish more cachers were as responsible.

Well I have replaced quite a few wet/full logs probably 5-10% and I just have generic logs but I write in the first log line donated by DEW Cache seeing how I am the first to sign it. I can not see how any one would get upset at that. I make sure to state when I log it on line that I replaced the log.

I concur with the above poster who said the logo is a waste of space. Better use of valuable cache/log space would be a summary of the 'stash note' explaining the game.

And somebody may well view the 'stash note' as a waste of space as there's supposed to be one in the cache anyway.

No matter what you do, you will not please everyone, and you will piss off someone.

With or without the logo, the cache was in better condition when you left than it was when you arrived.