Tequila: 81 Proof

Tequila

There was a cache north of Sudbury called "Languages". It had a unique D/T combo. It was recently archived. So now you must look further away to complete that D/T.

Good thing the gas prices are low (at the moment). I foresee much travel in my future to complete the quest. Did I miss any fine print when it came to get stirred in the right direction when it came to head scratching puzzles? :laughing::D

Here is the link to the Fizzy Browser:

http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=...amp;#entry78854

I am just learning how to use the GSAK program and the fizzy browser macro... so my question: How do I get the display to only show my found (green squares)? I can't get it to run without showing the orange squares (unfound).

And how do I get it to be on my profile? Just copy the code by right clicking on the page? that seemed to work but I was wondering if there was a different way.

Thanks!

HA! Nevermind... I figured it out!

Edited by brendah

I am just learning how to use the GSAK program and the fizzy browser macro... so my question: How do I get the display to only show my found (green squares)? I can't get it to run without showing the orange squares (unfound).

And how do I get it to be on my profile? Just copy the code by right clicking on the page? that seemed to work but I was wondering if there was a different way.

Thanks!

Sounds like a good topic for a future SWOG event :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Sounds like a good topic for a future SWOG event :laughing:

Yes, yes it does.... currently writing that on my "to-do" list! :rolleyes:

You can also post the combo's you are looking for here. I am sure most other cachers would be happy to reply with caches that meet that criteria.

GG7: I thought the caches had to be Ontario based?

Tequila: thanks for the suggestion. I'm currently missing Difficult 4.5 with Terrain ratings of 1, 2.5 thru to 5 &

Difficulty 5 with Terrain ratings of 1, 2, 3.5 to 4.5

I'm currently talking very nicely to anyone with a canoe :D

Cache do not need to be in Ontario. The only limitation is they must be placed before T81 was placed. Wth the recent archiving of Languages it is getting more and more difficult to complete without long distance travelling.

Can you explain the phrase "archiving of Languages"? Not sure what that refers to.

Ottawa has quiet a few unique combos. Check out looking glass and Oink.

These can be seen on my Proof to do bookmark list.

http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.a...50-d68de1740ebe

Some real nice ones in Quebec and Hull. I would have liked to grab the oldest one in Quebec while there this summer. I came within 500 m before turning back.

Took a quick look at your bookmark. I'm saving Oink for when the canal freezes up :)

Will have to double check my matrix for those caches in Quebec.

Anyone have a plane or cabin cruiser so I can do "Cormorant's Roost"? :)

With today's archiving of GCZTZP - ??Puzzled?? How does it all add up? D/T - 5.0/4.5

the challenge of completing Tequila:81 Proof increases.

Another great cache disappears into history.

Perhaps someone could adopt it? =)

Can you explain the phrase "archiving of Languages"? Not sure what that refers to.

Heh, had to read back a bit for that myself... someone earlier posted about the archival of a cache named "Languages" :anibad:

So... add me to any contact info for excursions too... I'm sitting pretty at 404 finds, with 43 of 81 logged in the matrix (including a 5/5). Any opportunity to get out on caching trips to log some of these rarer caches - I will do my utmost to make it :anibad:

Now that Scrunchy's Pay Back GC18739 has been archived, Tequila 81 just became a lot tougher :P for cachers needing a 5/4.5 combination. Presently there isn't a cache in Ontario that qualifies and the 2 closest are in Northern Quebec and Michigan, and both are approximately 8 hours drive from Tequila 81.

Documenting that GC1498V Rocky Hike, Scenic Drive will be treated as 1.5 / 4.5 for the purposes of this Challenge.

Just curious as the the reason? Was it changed after?

Yes. The CO is well within their right to change ratings. I posted the note so that people who found it as 1.5/4.5 could get that credit for it.

The previous version was a much tougher terrain rating but the latest version isn't near as difficult.

Your cache doesn't now make the rules for everyone elses caches.

So what happens to the cachers who found your cache when it was more difficult and presumeably rated correctly? They now did the work to get the old rating but show the new lesser rating.

I don't make the rules for everyone caches. I simply stated that changing ratings for existing caches voids them for my cache. I think I do have that right. If you want to remove your caches from eligibility for Tequila: 81 Proof, that is your call.

Looks like I though right. Have you changed the rules?

Edited by Keith Watson
Yes. The CO is well within their right to change ratings. I posted the note so that people who found it as 1.5/4.5 could get that credit for it.

So people who found it as 1.5/4.5 treat it as 1.5/4.5 - if we find it now as 2.5/4.5 should we record it as 2.5 or 1.5?

You treat it as it was rated when T81 was published. 1.5/4.5

The intent is to prevent and discourage CO's from changing ratings to make the challenge easier.

Although it was not the case with Rocky Hike (the CO had a legitimate reason and didn't even know about T81), sadly, there are certain cache owners that will change ratings or cache names in order to make a challenge easier. While it is certainly their prerogative to change anything they wish (they do own the cache), as the CO of T81, it is also my prerogative to treat their cache as it was rated on 4/8/08 for T81 purposes.

To date, this has not been an issue. All of the finders have taken the challenge very serious and are quite proud of their accomplishment, as they should be. In fact, some of them even ignored certain caches that they felt didn't deserve a particular rating. And in the case, where the cache they needed required finding a series of feeder caches, they made sure they completed those before getting the cache they needed.

As more and more unique combos get archived, the ability to complete this challenge gets more difficult. But that just makes the accomplishment all the more satisfactory.

As I write this, someone is currently walking to the cache to become the 9th person to complete the challenge.

I think it would be a lot more fair to everyone if you have a simple set of rules to follow and stick to them. Bending the rules and making judgment calls and allowing exceptions if not really fair to everyone who might be working on this cache.

I know you own the listing and you can do what ever you want, but it is not fair if everyone does't get to play by the same rules. You posted the rules when you listed the cache. You should stick by them.

@ Tequila - understood, just wanted to clarify the wording of your previous comment :P

Perhaps for people in the future, if there are issues with changed ratings, list the exception in the cache description, just so that people who don't visit this thread won't think they've finished the matrix when in fact one or more of the caches don't count, unbeknownst to them. It would clarify a situation like this too, much quicker. And obviously that would only happen when the issue arises (you can't know the original rating of every single cache, of course)

tnx again

(just got to remember now that it's 1.5/4.5 only for T81, but not for the fizzy or other challenges)

Edited by thebruce0

This is a challenge cache. The challenge is not against other cachers or the CO. It's a personal challenge. You can try and find combos that fit the rules and if you work hard you have bragging rights. Above that you have tales to tell other cachers about driving 500 km and canoeing in an ice storm to get that rare 4.5/5.0 cache that fit the matrix.

I was heading to Beach View and the rating changed on the way. I could have argued but why bother. I'll just find another that fits. Check my bookmarks for alternates to Rocky View.

completely agree. Though on the other hand, by that definition one could still consider Rocky View a 2.5/4.5 legitimately because that's what it was rated when you did it, and really shouldn't be guilted into feeling like one is 'cheating' by doing so :(

Honestly it doesn't matter that much to me, but I think this point applies more to what Keith Watson was concerned about the 'rules' for the challenge. Technically there are none, it's just a fun challenge, so it shouldn't be necessary to follow to Tequilas own rules even as the CO, based on the updated rules at GC.

So... whatever :D

I could understand either reason, legitimately, to use Rocky View as 1.5/4.5 (because that's what it was originally) or 2.5/4.5 (because that's what it was when I started looking for it and when I did it). I haven't decided which to use it for at this point because I don't have either combo, hehe, so it doesn't matter much to me... ah well.

too much controversy... :P

Congratulations to KSAcat on completing Tequila:81 Proof and reaching the 3000 Find milestone. Thank you for choosing my cache for such an important milestone.

I think you are officially a 'cache-aholic" for driving over 600 km, one way, for one cache.

A job well done!!!!

Only 20 more to go! "Only" 20 more mutters the geek who is going to see if it can meet the challenge before logging 1000 finds. That means a limit of 10 non-qualifying caches for each remaining qualifying cache that it needs. Grrrrrr... why does the geek put such a restriction on its addiction?!? And now the geek is joined in its obsession with two geocaching colleagues (GPS Derek & Skyecat). Perhaps all three can complete the challenge together.

Only 20 more to go! "Only" 20 more mutters the geek who is going to see if it can meet the challenge before logging 1000 finds. That means a limit of 10 non-qualifying caches for each remaining qualifying cache that it needs. Grrrrrr... why does the geek put such a restriction on its addiction?!? And now the geek is joined in its obsession with two geocaching colleagues (GPS Derek & Skyecat). Perhaps all three can complete the challenge together.

It would be an honor to meet the 3 of you at the cache for the signing.

1000 is a lofty goal. To date, psychocyclist did it for 1000. geocite did it for 2000 and KSAcat did it for 3000.

Keep up the effort.

1000 is a lofty goal. To date, psychocyclist did it for 1000. geocite did it for 2000 and KSAcat did it for 3000.

Keep up the effort.

If I'm not mistaken psychocyclist did it for 900. Now that is an impressive feat!

Keep up the effort.

If I'm not mistaken psychocyclist did it for 900. Now that is an impressive feat!

I stand corrected. one of my staff provided me with incorrect info. :):D:unsure:

900?? ok, it's getting tighter... I'm currently at ~60 and I haven't broken 500 yet... :) the trick is just GETTING to the caches, as I have no car, and must rely on friends, or vacations =)

I'm fighting for it! So very fighting for it! I'm just glad I've already knocked off the 5/5

Edited by thebruce0

900?? ok, it's getting tighter... I'm currently at ~60 and I haven't broken 500 yet... :) the trick is just GETTING to the caches, as I have no car, and must rely on friends, or vacations =)

I'm fighting for it! So very fighting for it! I'm just glad I've already knocked off the 5/5

Good work!!!

If you complete the T81 without a car, that will truly be impressive.

There are a few combos that now require U.S. Travel to find. Michigan, NY and maybe NH.

Keep up the effort. That is what this challenge is all about. Enjoying yourself and completing something you can be proud of.

And then were 10! 10 caches left for me to get to and find before logging a find on Tequila: 81 Proof. Two of them are in the US so a day trip will be in order and another one is going to have to wait until the spring thaw so I can get north with a canoe. Hopefully by that time the last one in the list will be an upcoming spring CITO. I've managed to drag GPS Derek and Skyecat into this with me and if by any chance I finish before they do, I won't log a find until they have the required finds under their belts.

So how's it going with the rest of you? If anyone is interested, I've created a bookmark list called "Winter Accessible Boat Caches" and have noted the ones that qualify for this challenge. My definition of a WABC is a cache that one would normally need a boat to get to, but might be accessible in the winter (and the cache is winter friendly) if there is sufficient ice cover. But it is up to each cacher to determine for themselves if there is sufficient ice to tread upon.

Well I'm now at 60/81 in the matrix, at 568 finds... I'm trying to keep my ratio under 1:10, which in theory (and an ideal world) would result in completion by 810 finds :anibad: riiiight...

It is definitely getting harder, and I'm trying to keep an eye open for opportunities to get to remote areas for combos. Might be doing a lot of lone bus/train travels in the coming months for some. The US combos will be a pain. Watching for opportunities in vacations as well.

Geek - if you're up for another caching buddy, I'm all in :laughing:

I am a lot closer after my US trip. (8 more to go) Had to pass up a few potential high/odd combos. DNF'd one. Got within 900-600 m of at least 3 others and within 3 KM of another combo which could have made my matrix close to full. That's the problem with high terrain it's not wise to travel alone on some of these remote trails. I am always up for partners when the opportunity arises. TheBruce has always been on the invite list and I will post here if I plan any trips.

Likewise check out my bookmark list for ideas. I think the Lake Erie area has many potential grid killers. Have a look around Detroit and Toledo. Esp. Maumee Bay.

Here is where I stand...

Some numbers I'm watching.

49 days till I hit 365 consecutive days (May 8th 2010).

80 caches till I hit 1000

8 caches till I complete T81.

I wonder if I could make all that happen at once?

Make T81 #1000 and 365th day. May 8th 2010

How does a canoe trip along the Saugeen on an upcoming Saturday sound?

How about a camp trip in April to Bon Echo? There are at least 3 T81 caches nearby.

That will be a motivator to get the job done in time for May 8th 2010.

Edited by gg7

The best laid plans of mice and men, often lead to a very frustrating DNF :lol:

The best laid plans of mice and men, often lead to a very frustrating DNF :P

mice.....men.....AND.....pigs :lol:

Congratulations Ara 'K" for completing the challenge and scribing your name into the logbook. You really worked hard to acheive your goal and should be very proud of what you accomplished. We are honoured to have been included in your journey.

On a side note I had the pleasure of meeting Tequila when I accompanied Ara 'K" to Markham to sign the logbook. I really was expecting him to have horns and breath fire, turns out he isn't at all the Prick everyone makes him out to be :rolleyes: . I look forward to meeting you again Tequila and your encouragement may just be the final push we need to get this challenge done.

Mrs T.

Going to retire after just one grid? But you haven't beat the game yet! It isn't over till the credits roll...

This is a game for which there will never be credits, for the game will never end...!

Update for myself:

I'm now sitting pretty at 69 of 81 at 618 finds, with another handful just...within...reach... This past weekend in NY with Team KO was a big boost to the numbers with 5 knocked off my grid. Yet after planning candidates, still 2 remain quite a deal more difficult for me to get to.

I'm confident I won't have the matrix complete by my one year caching anniversary (May 17) :rolleyes: Maybe, just maybe, if I hold off on any big numbers days, I could save the big finish for #700 :ph34r: ..wishful thinking methinks!

Thanks Treknschmidt & gg7! looking forward to see who crosses the finish line next... looks like this cache will receive many visitors in the upcoming months.

I would like to add my congratulations to Ara 'K" on not only completing the challenge but doing so in a very short time and with a very low total cache count.

It was rewarding to read your log and see how you embraced the challenge and expanded your caching experiences. This challenge was created to get people thinking about quality instead of quantity. And, as time marches forward, and more caches are archived, the difficulty of this challenge increases.

I am looking forward to several other completions, including gg7 and Treknschmidt. over the next few months.

On a side note I had the pleasure of meeting Tequila when I accompanied Ara 'K" to Markham to sign the logbook. I really was expecting him to have horns and breath fire, turns out he isn't at all the Prick everyone makes him out to be :o . I look forward to meeting you again Tequila and your encouragement may just be the final push we need to get this challenge done.

Mrs T.

:):D:D;):D:D:D:wub::wub::wub::wub:

You guys only gave me 30 minutes notice when you were heading to the cache. I can do horns in 30 minutes but that fire breathing requires a bottle or two of jalapenas and a couple of shots of.........tequila,.....of course. :blink:

Rosie.....I mean,.....Caroline.....I mean Shiloh, I am glad you enjoyed the trip around the park to grab a couple of caches. And I have no doubt that you too with embrace the T81 challenge with the same fervor as Kara. And I promise to wear horns when you cross the finish line. Might even bring the real Tequila....and some tequila.

Thanks for making my day.

May 3 by gg7 [Click to remove gg7 from the VIP list.] (987 found)

Yesterday I completed the challenge with Holy Smoke. Cache #982 May 2, 2010 consecutive caching day #359. I plan on going out to Markham next Saturday to sign the log officially. I will make it Cache #1000, Consecutive caching day #365. I hope Tequila is available. And I hope the cache owner owner available too.

Nobody has ever invited me to a cache before. I would be happy to accompany you to the cache. Do I have to bring the CO?? He looks so funny with those horns.......and the fire breathing????? Gimme a break.

Just let us know when you will be there.

And congratulations on completing T81 with such a low find count. Nice to see someone dedicated to a real challenge.

Tequila (the real one)

May 3 by gg7 [Click to remove gg7 from the VIP list.] (987 found)

Yesterday I completed the challenge with Holy Smoke. Cache #982 May 2, 2010 consecutive caching day #359. I plan on going out to Markham next Saturday to sign the log officially. I will make it Cache #1000, Consecutive caching day #365. I hope Tequila is available. And I hope the cache owner owner available too.

Nobody has ever invited me to a cache before. I would be happy to accompany you to the cache. Do I have to bring the CO?? He looks so funny with those horns.......and the fire breathing????? Gimme a break.

Just let us know when you will be there.

And congratulations on completing T81 with such a low find count. Nice to see someone dedicated to a real challenge.

Tequila (the real one)

That's right I am finished! I'll see anyone that can make it next Saturday at the cache in Markham. Quite a Milestone.