Username

chr15williams

1st day out yesterday in this great sport that I knew nothing about until recently. Superb family fun!

My question relates to our username(s). We all 4 registered with individual names and added details of our TBs (one each). Yesterday we found 4 caches in our local area (Fairford, UK) and when we came to log them realised that individual log-ins would take a while and the sites would appear to have been visited 4 times instead of one group visit. So, best to log a family group name for family outings? What if I want to head out on my own though - do I log it as the family name or use my own? How does my total number of caches found add up if I'm logging seperately as a family and individual?

I apologise if this question has been asked before and is answered somewhere, but I couldn't find it. Be patient with a newbie!

This is a reasonably common issue here, and there are a bunch of different opinions regarding it. Personally, I think it's better to have one login per cacher; that way, if anyone stays behind for a trip or goes off on their own for a day, everyone's tally still reflects which caches they've actually visited. Of course, if you're a spouse team that's rarely separated, or you've got children too young to really care, then you're probably OK. Otherwise, it's not too inconvenient for everyone to weigh in individually; you can always include the fact that you came with a group in your logs.

Sometimes when caching with a group, we make up a 'team' name and log in as a group and then log separately when we get home. The Wacky Paddlers, the GDO crew, Black Friday Non Shoppers are just a few. Then when we log ours we write that we were part of the GDO crew or whatever. Everyones name took up too much space, especially in micros.

I think it is a good idea that you have individual names. That way you can keep track of your own. And when the kids grow up and want to go out on their own they don't have to re-log all their finds....

1st day out yesterday in this great sport that I knew nothing about until recently. Superb family fun!

My question relates to our username(s). We all 4 registered with individual names and added details of our TBs (one each). Yesterday we found 4 caches in our local area (Fairford, UK) and when we came to log them realised that individual log-ins would take a while and the sites would appear to have been visited 4 times instead of one group visit. So, best to log a family group name for family outings? What if I want to head out on my own though - do I log it as the family name or use my own? How does my total number of caches found add up if I'm logging seperately as a family and individual?

I apologise if this question has been asked before and is answered somewhere, but I couldn't find it. Be patient with a newbie!

Entirely up to you. There are families and groups that do it both ways.

My family all logs under just the one account but They are nearly always with me and have never cached without me.

It's totally up to you. If there are times you won't be geocaching together and each person wants to log on his own, then individual accounts are fine.

If you will nearly always be geocaching together and if not everybody cares to take the trouble to log, perhaps a single account is the way to go.

Thank you all for taking the time to give such considered responses. I liked Edscott's idea about getting the kids to creatively write; individual names will continue and we'll get ourselves a group name for the microcaches, if we ever find one - hard enough finding big boxes at this stage, but I'm sure it'll get easier. As we all live in Fairford and do quite a bit of rambling and hiking, how about Fairford Amateur Rambling & Trekking Society, or is that too English a joke?! :laughing:

What would be neat would be a way to have a master account for the family with sub-accounts for each person. Then some way to log the find under the master name with the sub members who were present listed. The find would show up in each sub accounts found list but only show once on the cache listing. The sub accounts would still have the ability to list finds individually.

I bet this would take a ton of code to implement!!

I think that each family member should have an account. This way when they grow up then can keep all their finds when they move out or start their own family.

In my case if I have kids they will have his/her own account where my wife and I are one account because my wife would never go with out me but she doesn't always go with me. If my wife ever decided to go by herself she would make her own account (but she has no interest in this).

What would be neat would be a way to have a master account for the family with sub-accounts for each person. Then some way to log the find under the master name with the sub members who were present listed. The find would show up in each sub accounts found list but only show once on the cache listing. The sub accounts would still have the ability to list finds individually.

I bet this would take a ton of code to implement!!

Superb idea!