Caching solo

If I had to cache solo, I'd not cache at all. Not having a partner to share the experiences with would be exceedingly boring.

Common sense dictates that with very few exceptions, women should not cache alone, period.

WHY?

Yeah...sometimes, the benefit of a peaceful walk in the woods alone over rules common sense.

If I had to cache solo, I'd not cache at all. Not having a partner to share the experiences with would be exceedingly boring.

Common sense dictates that with very few exceptions, women should not cache alone, period.

WHY?

Yeah...sometimes, the benefit of a peaceful walk in the woods alone over rules common sense.

Nothing beats a long head clearing walk alone. Personally I've never felt threatened alone in any area.

I suppose I shouldn't live alone on my 90 acres too. Little ole' girlie me out in the big scary world.

I do most of my caching solo. I tend to be a loner anyway so I actually prefer it that way. But sometimes it is nice to cach with others. The other weekend I went out with some newbies. But they got tired after only finding about 5 cachs, but I was ready to go for more. But I stopped with them. Usually when I cach with others it is at events.

But the person in a previous post is right, taking pictures when solo is kind of a pain. I just got a tripod so plan on taking it with me from now on, but I haven't used it yet. I am going geocaching in Big Bend National Park next weekend solo. I never feel wierd about it. In fact, it is relaxing for me.

99% solo because I go on short notice. I also don't want to invite non-cachers cause I have never been where I am going. I only got in trouble bad once and got myself out of it just b4 dark. So my record is pretty good. I research the maps and print them, take a headlight and compass. A grouse can stop your heart even if you are with someone. They wait way too long to take off. Never seen a bear yet. Most all my hunts have been good - not counting lame placements. I often return for more quality hiking or biking. Going alone is often exploring an area and seeing what is there. I love a new place.

Edited by GPS-Hermit

WHY?

I aqree about the walk in the woods but I don't enjoy urban caching by myself.

Yeah! They shouldn't go to the grocery store, or the gas station, or the mall alone either! In fact, they shouldn't venture outside at all alone. It's a big scary world!

Please, give me a break. Go back to 1950.

I personally love caching alone. I am directionally challenged (I spend 1/2 my time figuring out which way is north! :lol: ) I am always thrilled when I can figure out where some tiny object is simply by following the GPS, especially when the roads don't necessarily run the way you think they should. When hubby is around he is usually amused watching me as I wander about trying to get my bearings, or laughing hysterically as I shriek when a mouse or rabbit jumps out when I'm not expecting it, both of which are NOT amusing to me. But most of my solos are pretty much park & grab. If an area makes me uneasy or if I'm going to the city I generally drag him along. Luckily he enjoys it, just not with the same addiction!

I almost always cache alone. My husband is only good for quick park and grabs. He's way too lazy and starts complaining after about 15 minutes :) Sometimes I'll bring my dog but at her age she's only good for a few miles before she gets sore. I don't feel odd at all. I would rather be alone, it gives me time to clear my head.

Most of my finds have been solo and there are times when I have felt strange. But that was usually due to the location of a cache (urban, shopping center, muggleville). And those that are challenging hikes in the woods are strange sometimes as well but for different reasons like the possibility of injury or animal encounters. But that to me is what makes it exciting. Pushing myself to limits that I normally would not undertake. I've discovered some things about myself that I didn't know before. And in the end, if the strangeness I feel is due to the fact that I am worried about what other people may be thinking....then feeling odd or strange really isn't worth it.