Geocaching Injury Geocoin available

7ofclubs

1485be2d-66d0-4ffb-bb78-bc853599eecc.jpg

Let's face it, getting hurt is part of the geocaching experience. Around where I live we have many caches in the mountains, up trees, across steams, and along mountain trails. There are five level difficulty caches that test a geocachers ability and sometimes we get hurt. Just the other day I slipped on some ice and banged my knee on a fence and that cache was a one terrain! Several months ago my wife broke her finger while trying to get a difficult cache, cachers have fallen out of trees, and I even got an email from someone still in bed recovering from a broken leg that happened while geocaching!

I know this coin is bound to cause some controversy because of its resemblance to the military's Purple Heart medal. I have been in the military the last 25 years and before Geocaching.com would approve the coin they asked me to talk to my superiors and peers about the concept. No one had any problems with the concept of this coin so I had it made. Enjoy the geocaching experience!

The Geocaching Injury coin is a 1 1/2" gold heart shaped coin; it is purple on the obverse and white on the reverse with the words, "FOR SUSTAINING AN INJURY WHILE GEOCACHING." This coin is trackable on Geocaching.com and can be ordered from www.7ofclubs.us

**Note this is a new web site, if you have any problems please contact me from my geocaching profile: 7ofclubs

Cute idea but at $13 it's too expensive for such a simple coin.

:D

Wow coins are getting pricey. Maybe that's part of the injury experience.

:o

Hey 7ofclubs, you didn't tell us you were making a coin.

Wish you would have put your name on it to make it a personal coin.

Anyway it's a local coin, so we'll have to try to get one.

Good luck with the coin.

:D

Cute idea but at $13 it's too expensive for such a simple coin.

I think it's cute too, as all of us know coin's are going higher and higher. 2 months ago they said all medal's were reaching a all time high. Even simple coin will be more costly. Good luck with your coin and Thank you for your service to our country. It means a lot. I have had no major injurys caching ,only losing all my hair to hitch hikers when I rolled down a hill . (all but 1 1/2 in. of it. Had to have them cut out) LOL Good Luck USA 45

Edited by USA 45

A hard way to get the Geocaching Injury Geocoin:

Here is the (slightly edited by me) cache log about Lazer's foot getting run over from this weekend's Spring Fling event cache page:

"Thanks to all that hosted this event. I had a great time.

I played GeoChauffer to Rick618, AUCowboy, Parrgolf & Lazer.

We got quite a lot of caches.

I'm sure LAZER will not forget it for a few weeks.

When we went to alphabet "F" I was parked in the middle of the road and decided to move my SUV, not realizing that Lazer was standing next to the vehicle trying to let AUCowboy out of the back.

I heard him say something about his foot so I stopped the car, put it in park and was getting out to help him (thinking he was stuck in the seat that AUCowbot had folded down).

Then he says, "No no move the car! You're on my foot!"

So I go to pull forward and he says "no no not that way!!"

So I back up.

This poor fellow's foot got run over, parked on, then run over and parked on again before being backed off of.

It was purple!!!

I did try to take him to an ER or doc-in-a-box but he insisted he was OK.

We did ice it and actually continued caching for a few more finds.

If there is a purple heart for caching I nominate LAZER to get it.. . as well as myself for the stupidity award.

LAZER I AM SO SORRY!! Please get your foot checked out."

She accidentally ran over it THREE TIMES?! Now that's a dedicated cacher who keeps on caching after that incident!

Edit to add... no, I was not the driver!

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

All those complaining about the price, please see my post: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=292991

This design is pretty basic, and I agree that it was probably pretty cheap to make, but please read the post anyway.

Before you posted here and started a new thread did you realize that this thread was started 4 YEARS ago? The price was very high for a simple coin like this back then. Even now the price is too high. Your quote in the other thread is for a more elaborate coin with a picture insert and 1.75" instead of the 1.5" of this coin.

No, I did not look at the original posting date. I looked at the 2 replies that were posted this morning. I started my thread because I planned on pricing my coin at $12-13 per, and was told that anything over $10 was too much. Tied in perfectly with what was being said on this post, which is why I replied.

No, I did not look at the original posting date. I looked at the 2 replies that were posted this morning. I started my thread because I planned on pricing my coin at $12-13 per, and was told that anything over $10 was too much. Tied in perfectly with what was being said on this post, which is why I replied.

The two posts this morning said nothing about the cost of the coin. The comments 4 years ago about the coin cost were valid. Calling people whiners is not going to win you friends and get you sales.

The two posts this morning said nothing about the cost of the coin. The comments 4 years ago about the coin cost were valid. Calling people whiners is not going to win you friends and get you sales.

I didn't mean to strike a nerve with you or anyone else. I mentioned this morning's posts because they nudged this topic to the top of the list. I don't look at original post dates. I just open the thread and follow the conversation. In this case, the comments made match recent comments I've seen, including ones made about the planned price on my own coin. I had originally planned on $15 per, until seeing the average going rate for coins, at which time I lowered that number to $12-13 per. I was told that the price would negatively affect sales, because people expect them to be $10 or less.

Like I said, I'm not trying to upset anyone. Just raise some awareness about the cost, time, and effort that goes into minting. I freelance in an industry that is constantly devalued by people swooping in with ridiculously low prices that impacts those of us pricing fairly. This is a bit of a sore point for me. Sorry to have offended you.