Caching using archived caches?

I received an email through my profile from someone saying they're doing a blitz using archived caches and wants to include one that I've archived because it will mean posting a log with instructions. Seemed a little weird to me, though I really don't care about using my archived cache but it almost sounds like cheating because the cache is not there anymore. I archived it after it went missing. Has anyone heard of caching using archived caches. Is it permitted as part of the geocaching rules on this site? And what kind of instructions could one possibly post on a log of an archived cache? How should I respond to this one?

If the cache is not there, how can anyone find it? Archived caches should NOT be there because they are either missing (like yours) or they are supposed to be picked up by the owner when archived. If it were me, I would say NO. If I wanted them to find it I'd have replaced it, not archived it. Sounds very suspicious to me.

Edited by swaninwa

Even if they were "posting a note" to provide clues for another cache, there is no direct way to view archived caches, so how would any cacher looking for a puzzle cache ever find the note??? ;) They do not directly appear on any online maps. You have to know that it ever existed in the first place, then view the owner's profile (or the profile of someone who succesfully found it) to view the logs. hmmmm ;)

Even if they were "posting a note" to provide clues for another cache, there is no direct way to view archived caches, so how would any cacher looking for a puzzle cache ever find the note??? ;) They do not directly appear on any online maps. You have to know that it ever existed in the first place, then view the owner's profile (or the profile of someone who succesfully found it) to view the logs. hmmmm ;)

OMG! That sounds like a fun puzzle!

Just an example off the top of my head.

Mermaidude hid it.

I was one who found it.

No one else will do it again.

A clue like that would lead me to check for Mermaidudes archived caches. I'm sure there are better ways to write such a clue, but you get the idea.

Until the person or persons who contacted the OP explains it a bit more all we can do is speculate.

I had a puzzle I put out where you had to look for clues on archived caches. The cache was named Gone but not forgotten and you had to figure out that each sentence had a clue about a local cacher, and a cache that they hid but was now archived.

Once you had that, you had to go to the archived cache listing (from the user's profile), find my log on it, and grab the clue.

I think we have a winner. Not sure, but sounds plausible.

I had a puzzle I put out where you had to look for clues on archived caches. The cache was named Gone but not forgotten and you had to figure out that each sentence had a clue about a local cacher, and a cache that they hid but was now archived.

Once you had that, you had to go to the archived cache listing (from the user's profile), find my log on it, and grab the clue.

Would they log a Found it on that Archived Cache?

Edit: Obviously yours, but I mean on the others.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Would they log a Found it on that Archived Cache?

Edit: Obviously yours, but I mean on the others.

I hope not! They only have to go to the cache page and look at my online log to get a clue, where I had edited my previous find log.

As long as you know they waypoint ID you can view the listing of an archived cache. For example try this link:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=gcx30c

Someone could, for example, construct a multi level puzzle which requires solving a puzzle to get a waypoint id then would need to go to the archived cache listing to read a log entry to determine the final coordinates. I have thought about doing something similar except I would select an archived cache that was itself a puzzle cache that would need to be solved and a portion of the solved coordinates used to determine the final coordinates.

OMG! That sounds like a fun puzzle!

I have a similar puzzle cache that uses notes and logs on other cache and TB pages ;)GC111HA

And the answer is:

In order to find the cache coordinates the cacher has to "dig" through archived caches.

Example: The last log (Mine) will say: Go to GC4tr6 or GCh6wy?

It will become a maze/puzzle that cachers can also revisit lost but not forgotten caches.

I don't really care one way or the other if he wants to use my archived cache as a clue, but I wanted to make sure this isn't against geocaching rules.

And the answer is:

In order to find the cache coordinates the cacher has to "dig" through archived caches.

Example: The last log (Mine) will say: Go to GC4tr6 or GCh6wy?

It will become a maze/puzzle that cachers can also revisit lost but not forgotten caches.

I don't really care one way or the other if he wants to use my archived cache as a clue, but I wanted to make sure this isn't against geocaching rules.

It shouldn't be an issue, like I said above, I have a puzzle cache very similar to this.

Edited by cmelton14

Allow me to clarify what is really happening here.

The cacher in question is not putting on a cache blitz as in a cache machine.

Our area is having what we call a contest Blitz where during a set time caches are put out and then judged. He wants to use some archived caches as reference/clues for the hunt of the actual cache he will be hiding, not for folk to log on:

My upcoming blitz cache will deal with archived caches. With your permission I would like to use

XXXXX / XXXXX/ XXXX/ Or if you have any other ones to recommend.

I need permission because I'll be posting cache directions in them.

Isonzo Karst, Chilihead and cmelton14 got the right general idea of what is intended

I gave him my permission because it sounds like a fun idea and no caching rules will be violated. I can't think of anyone here who would allow Found logs on any archived caches. Just spoke to the hider and posting this with permission as he can't get to a pc right now.