Multi Cache setup ?

Before I set one up, been out today to check distances and cache sites, is it gonna be accepted if -

1) The first cache has info to copy down and work out the next stages coords

2) There is three stages in total

3) The coords will be in OS grid

4) There is more than 0.1mile between stages.

Nick

No doubt you will soon have a reply from someone in a better position to answer - if not why not email one of the approvers direct for advice - in Scotland I think that will be Deceangi. :unsure:

But I think your cache will be more popular if you give all the coordinates in the usual dd mm.mmm format which the majority of cachers set their GPSrs to.

Any way good luck with it. :blink:

Edited by John Stead

Don't do your coords in OS Grid...

You'll find your cache is missed off by lots of people as you'd be suprised how many people don't know how to convert it.

If my memory serves me right, you have to submit your cache in dd.mm.mmm anyway.

I dont' want to sound negative, but you have only found one cache.... yet you have already submitted one. I REALLY would do more caches before you go about setting them. It's a well known fact that the more caches people complete, the higher their understanding about what makes a good cache.

You'll appreciate the wait in the end.... caches which are less thought out tend to be the ones that get muggled, and that's when it hurts!

Edited to add... your stages need not be 0.1 apart, but the final location must be a MINIMUM 0.1 (528ft) from any other caches.

Edited by HazelS

Try doing a few multis first - you will soon find out whats good and no so good............

Good luck,

L&H

:unsure: Seconded!

When you've done a few more caches, including various types of Multi from other cachers in your area, you'll have more experience of which ideas work best and which provide best variety and interest within a cache hunt.

MrsB :blink:

.... caches which are less thought out tend to be the ones that get muggled, and that's when it hurts!

That is so true!.

Also, what time of year the cache is palced makes a difference, place a cache in the summer and come winter all the leaves have gone and the cache is exposed or the hole you put it in is full of water, place a cache in winter in a spot your thought would never be visited by another human being becomes busier than Kings Cross Station!!

Before I set one up, been out today to check distances and cache sites, is it gonna be accepted if -

1) The first cache has info to copy down and work out the next stages coords

2) There is three stages in total

3) The coords will be in OS grid

4) There is more than 0.1mile between stages.

Nick

Hi Nick, thanks for checking first, so many people don't bother! First off, there's no requirement to have found a cache before placing one so don't worry about that. Even so it might be a good idea to get a feel for how they are usually put together but that's purely optional.

Looking at what you are proposing 1) and 2) are fine.

3) Is not a good idea as Geocaching uses the dd mm.mmm format and WGS84 datum rather than OS Grid and OSGB. In any case you MUST include Additional Waypoints for all stages (including the Final location as a Hidden waypoint) and these can only be entered in the normal Geocaching dd mm.mmm format. You can of course use the OS grid in the descriptive text as well.

4) You don't have to have intermediate stages 0.1miles apart, just ensure that any physical stage of your cache is more than 0.1miles away from any other cache.

I hope this helps and feel free to e-mail any of the reviewers to discuss your plans privately if you want to.

Good luck with your first cache :unsure:

Edited by Lactodorum

3) Is not a good idea as Geocaching uses the dd mm.mmm format and WGS84 datum rather than OS Grid and OSGB. In any case you MUST include Additional Waypoints for all stages (including the Final location as a Hidden waypoint) and these can only be entered in the normal Geocaching dd mm.mmm format. You can of course use the OS grid in the descriptive text as well.

4) You don't have to have intermediate stages 0.1miles apart, just ensure that any physical stage of your cache is more than 0.1miles away from any other cache.

I hope this helps and feel free to e-mail any of the reviewers to discuss your plans privately if you want to.

Ta, I will set the cache in the Geocache format. I have set caches for kids before. I'm intrigued by the navigation aspect of Multi-caching.

I want to set one up -

1) Coords given - when you arrive there you do a puzzle from that virtual cache, you then walk to a new coord you have worked out.

2) Then that cache has more coords etc etc

I draw/survey orienteering maps so I'm out in the woods looking for boulders, ruined walls, large trees etc so I might as well put that work to another use ! I have access to online mapping down to 1;20k so it's easy !

Nick

Edited by Nick_Scots

Just another thought.

Would geocachers prefer a circular walk with no retracing of tracks

as a - multicache or a series of seperate caches 1mile apart they

could be done seperately if limited time was available.

Also adding in some archealogical/historical interest ?

Nick

Edited by Nick_Scots

Just another thought.

Nick

A Series of seperate Caches!

:laughing:

Just another thought.

Nick

I personaly like both but if you want as many people as poss to come then circular walks are the way to go, locals and holiday makers may do a long multi but you won't get people passing through doing it.

I have 3 ciculars near me the newest was placed on 28th feb and has already had 13 visits, another placed last month has had 20 but multi's in the same area 1 has been there since 2006 and has had 9 finds another has had 26 finds in 2 years.

ruined walls

Dry stone walls are a "no no" for geocaches - otherwise this look promising, good luck. :ph34r:

I'm only sorry I won't be near Falkirk for a while as I have unfinished business with the multi based on the Wheel. :)

Sorry, Ruined Wall is an Orienteering term. Plenty boulders small enough to tirn over but big enough to cache under.

Nick

ruined walls

Dry stone walls are a "no no" for geocaches - otherwise this look promising, good luck. ;)

I'm only sorry I won't be near Falkirk for a while as I have unfinished business with the multi based on the Wheel. ;)

Sorry, Ruined Wall is an Orienteering term. Plenty boulders small enough to tirn over but big enough to cache under.

Nick

Thanks for the explanation - I did not know that! ;)

Lacto is right that you don't have to have found caches before placing, but it is a good idea to get some under your belt to learn from experience what is a 'good' or a 'bad' cache.

I once reported a cache to the reviewers that I had FTF on. GCV8E9 . It was a cardboard box (of the type computer spares come in) tied in a plastic carrier bag, hung in a bush, in a drainage gully, surrounded by general fly tipping. At the time, the person who had placed it only had one find to their credit. I'm sure they were a sensible person really; they just had no idea what was required of a cache.

As to multi or separate caches, it is another rule of thumb that the the 'number chasers' will not consider a multi as they have to find more than one location before getting a credit for a cache.

What you could consider is separate caches that all provide clues to an additional cache, which can only be found after all the other individual caches have been found. The additional cache would be in the general vicinity but the coordinates used to generate it's cache page are not totally accurate. You then start the cache with the words "This is not the true coordinates for this cache' or something like that.

I'm sure one of our reviewers can give you additional guidance on placing such caches. :(

What you could consider is separate caches that all provide clues to an additional cache, which can only be found after all the other individual caches have been found.

Good idea, it allows single cachers but also mulit cache seekers.

Nick

Multi's where you have to find individual containers with log books and items to swap but only count as one find........DO MY HEAD IN angry-smiley-8024.gif

Multi's where you have to find individual containers with log books and items to swap but only count as one find........DO MY HEAD IN angry-smiley-8024.gif

I think perhaps he meant hide several individual caches which each also contain a clue to an extra bonus cache, that way it works like a multi is that you have to go to several locations first but it also suits the number cachers as they claim several finds, we have one near me that has proved quite popular Marham Fen Bonus you have to find 8 micro's that are all placed on a circular walk and each containing information to lead to this one.

Edited by Tiger-Eyes

I think perhaps he meant hide several individual caches which each also contain a clue to an extra bonus cache, that way it works like a multi is that you have to go to several locations first but it also suits the number cachers as they claim several finds, we have one near me that has proved quite popular Marham Fen Bonus you have to find 8 micro's that are all placed on a circular walk and each containing information to lead to this one.

Nope, see my reply to MrsB. I have a multi like you describe and that is how they usually come but the one I'm talking about isn't! 5 containers with log books and swaps and counts as 1 find.

Nope, see my reply to MrsB. I have a multi like you describe and that is how they usually come but the one I'm talking about isn't! 5 containers with log books and swaps and counts as 1 find.

Although the 5 intermediate logbooks ar totally superfluous and actually serve little or no purpose the rest of it sounds like a perfectly valid multi cache.

How bizzare, though it must be easier than looking for 4 film pots to find the micro :lol:

That's a bit odd :lol: Haven't come across any like that before. MrsB

Actually... thinking about it... I tell a lie :)

The Scilly Island Hopper multi is rather like TLHM's example and it is set in a rather unusual way: Only the first trad cache of the series is loggable. This first cache contains the co-ords for the next one (on Tresco) which is a box with a logbook and the co-ords for the next one (on St Martin's) which is a box with a logbook and the co-ords for the final cache (on St Agnes).

So anyone can log a find and get a smiley for this multi by simply finding the first cache. :)

(Not that anyone would do that, of course :) )

MrsB

That's exactly what I was referring to. The Robin Hood theme in the Nottingham area was the one I was thinking of... Didn't wish to send Lavender Hill Mob into therapy. :)

Edited by careygang

Although the 5 intermediate logbooks ar totally superfluous and actually serve little or no purpose the rest of it sounds like a perfectly valid multi cache.

Yep, totally agree, the intermediate logs are superfluous, although when doing the cache you're not sure if the signing of all the log books is an ALR, and it is a perfectly valid cache but that type of Multi DOES MY HEAD IN , it's just a personal thing............like not liking malt vinegar on my jellied eels! :)

That's what I thought, 3 or 4 small caches, one item, each with coords for the final Bonus Cache, so you need to find all 4 first to find the trad big cache.

Nick

Edited by Nick_Scots