Cleaning/fixing

softball29

Question on etiquette/rules and such when it comes to fixing/cleaning up a cache etc.

For example, when we were out Saturday, found a couple -- one didn't have a log, another was quite messy -- seemed like way too many stickers and such. Just tough to go through to find the log and all.

Wondering what the protocol is to do some fixin'? Like is is an OK thing to clean up/straighten up? What is allowed/not allowed?

Though I did swap a few things the other day, my goals in this game are more of finding the cache and maybe being able to move some bugs and coins along on their trips. So while I'll carry some things to swap or just leave, it won't be my main goal. Signing the log will be my main goal, just to be there (that and start taking photos!)

So, just had me wondering what things a person can and can't do. I was thinking of buying a small package of small notepads, maybe a bunch of small pencils and little things like that -- maybe carry ziplock bags around with me, too, so I can help keep things dry.

Any help? Thanks!

I'm fairly new also and have come accross this before also. I carry a small 10x10 towel with me to dry thigs out if I find them wet. I also began to carry some small ziplocs to eplace those that are ripped and some replacement logs for those that have been damaged. Once I have done anything to the cache, to repair or clean up, I send a note to the cache owner to let them know what I have or have not done and what is wrong with the cache.

I am still learning also and will look at the other posts of the more seasoned cachers.

:laughing: I don't know why any cache owner would object..I really appreciate it when a cacher removes junk..replaces logs..leaves a new ziplock baggie. Anything that will keep the sport going and make the next geocachers visit more enjoyable is a GOOD thing.

I've often replaced missing logbooks, left new ones, added pencils, removed junk and added some new trading stock, and even replced cache containers that have gone bad..

Edited by barondriver

Replacing the plastic bag, adding a pencil, drying out the insides and duct taping a crack in the container are all acceptable. Many owners will appreciate you adding a new log, but I know that I'd rather replace my own, as I'm particular about my logbooks.

As far as the contents, if you find something totally inappropriate it's OK to trade it out, but generally the contents are up to the owner to take care of.

Major repairs like replacing the container should be left to the owner, unless you've made arrangements ahead of time with him to to the repairs.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I had just been wondering because, like I said, one cache was missing a log book and another was quite messy and tough to get through!

I've also read a couple of caches we're planning on hitting up soon and I see several have people posting "log book is full." What to do in those situations, being as I can't imagine you should replace a book -- especially if it's a nano or micro and can't just put another book in there.

Any other cleanup/pickup advice ideas is appreciated as I'm just trying to learn as much as I can about this game. :laughing:

I carry a cache repair kit which I made myself consisting of duct tape, pencils, ziploc bags, notebooks( a composition book I cut into 3 piece horizontally), a towel, etc...... to carry out repairs. I have not done a micro yet but I have found this template Link to print out new micro cache log sheets when I do go to a micro. I agree I cant see why any cache owner would object to someone saving them a trip out to their cache by doing some minor repairs.

Sometimes in caches we leave ready made log books in plastic bags. (With a note that that is not the log book for the cache.) The logs we leave have stash notes inside them and geocaching logos on the front.

I would add a log if needed, but not remove the old one. If it was wet i would put it into a bag and let the owner know.

Like others we sometimes carry things to repair caches with.

I also have had a similar concern. We have a local cache that was one of our favorites. The owner went off to college and was MIA. No replies to emails and it needed fixed or archived. After discussion with other local cachers we went out and replaced the cache. We removed garbage (i always do this anyway) and put the log book into plastic and added new swag. Because the owner has logged onto the site we cannot adopt it. But we keep an eye on it and like getting logs from it. I still have the original cache container in case the owner wants it back. I didn't want it archived because it was a nice cache location and has some great history.

Sometimes i want to replace a container when the owner wont fix and it needs fixed or archived. If the owner is MIA.. hmmm.. i have an idea.... evil.gif

I always remove trash. That includes anything wet, rusted, smelly, etc. I dont remove things because i dont like them, just if they are really trash.

Edited by knight2000

I don't carry a "cache repair kit", but I usually have an extra notebook and pencil in my pocket. I've dried out a few caches and replaced logs, pencils, etc, but there have been a few caches that were beyond repair. They were placed by cachers that haven't logged on in years, and don't respond to email. Those caches, IMO, need to go away.

I carry out minor maintenance on the caches I find, if needed ... zip lock bags, remove actual trash, and try to dry them out if needed, etc. I always send a note to the cache owner if I do. If I see on the logs that others before me have said the log book is full, or some other such message, and I find the same condition some time later, I'll log a "Needs Maintenance" note, or even "Needs Archiving" (if it is really neglected) This usually gets the owner's attention. In our area, I have noticed that the reviewers will even step in if there has been a "Needs Maintenance" note posted and not reacted to in a reasonable time. I've only done the "Needs Archiving" note when I have found the container after several dnf logs by others over several months, and the container when finally found was trashed with nothing in it, and, no response from e-mails to the owner.

I've emptied out and dried caches. I CITO out junk from caches. I've replaced a bunch of torn baggies and missing pens. I've replaced soaked and moldy logs. I replaced a broken plastic cache container and also stocked and replaced a missing ammo can for a local cacher who was laid up with broken ankles. I've even removed a live 30-30 round from a cache.

I always let the owner know.

I was going to post a really similar question re full logs......

ok, so the best thing is to leave the original log, perhaps in a fresh bag, and add a new blank logbook, annotated on the first page about what it is? maybe sharpie the cache name on the cover of the new log, along with a 'Vol. II - date ?

I have replaced a few logs after contacting the owners and making the offer. I have also replaced a couple of containers after doing the same. In one case the owner was having some issues that made it so he could not replace the container. I live nearby and was very happy to place a temporary replacement and then provide a permanent ammo can replacement later. A fun cache is still going strong and I have a sense of ownership for it now as well.

I have also pulled containers for archived caches placed by folks who have left the game.