Little help with underwater cache idea

PG+LT+WD+AD

I have a great spot in mind for a underwater cache. The water depth is only about 4-5 foot deep. I have seen a few forums with other underwater cache discusions. My question is, if the seal is in perfect shape and the can dose not leak or have any dents, dings, rust ect. when its placed in fresh water how long could it last befor needing to be replaced? I'm assuming that eventualy it will rust no mater what is done--painting, coating with rubberiser, ect. Any body out there have an ammo can cache thats been submerged for an extended time.

Thanks

Please exscuse my bad spelling.

yeah, I don't think ammo cans would work well. Of the other posts on this topic, I've read good things about otter boxes.

I think deterioration really varies. You can take two of the same containers in different environments and see months of differences in wear & tear. How often it's found/abused, water conditions, sun light, etc, etc. I'd say they'll last quite a while, just make sure everything inside is also sealed in a bag to prevent accidental water damage - and check back often. :)

I think you might want to find a smaller container. If the ammo box is maintaining its seal, it's going to be quite buoyant, and will really require a lot of weight to hold it to the bottom in four feet of water. You ought to give it a try, I think you'll be surprised. If you rig it such that it's released from the weight underwater, it will shoot to the surface and be very difficult to replace (okay, nearly impossible) and if it's permanently attached to the weight it's going to be one heavy geocache.

The cheapest way to do an underwater hide to make it opened to the water. That way it can be near neutrally buoyant. Drill a bounce of holes in a lock and lock for instance, use a diver's slate log (or equivalent piece of flat plastic that will take pencil) and go with submersible swag.

If you really want a water tight container that will hold up, a small dive light will work. Gut it and you'll have room for about the same trade items as a decon or lock and lock, it's designed to be underwater, and has a built in lanyard mount.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

There's an underwater one in Northern NJ that has been there since 2001...

It's an ammo can, submerged...

I think the container has only been replaced once...

and it has always stayed dry inside...

I won't say which cache, cause this info could be a spoiler as it is not mentioned on the cache page...

BUT most NNJ cachers will know the one I'm talking about...

This one is in FRESH, flowing water...

The seals hold up well...

I would NOT recommend an ammo can for an underwater cache in SALT water...

not without serious corrosion prevention modifications...

Edited by Peconic Bay Sailors

Now that's some serious corrosion prevention Joe!

well done... good idea using the gas tank sealer...

that might even work in salt water??? but the brass part would have to be replcaed with steel...

otherwise you would produce an electrolite...

maybe you could attach a zinc sacrificial lamb and that would stop the corrosion to the ammo can?

Edited by Peconic Bay Sailors

Does anyone know how much weight is required to weigh down a .30 cal ammo can? I really dont want to get wet to find out.

Any ideas on what to use to weigh it down? Concrete blocks?

Used an oversized 50 ammo box coated with an outside gas tank sealer, then with a pelican container inside just to make sure it the contents remained water tight, has worked well in this cache Geo MoJo #7 // da beast within can't giveaway anymore

Joe

What is the eye bolt and latch on the side for? Opening the can?

Does anyone know how much weight is required to weigh down a .30 cal ammo can? I really dont want to get wet to find out.

Used an oversized 50 ammo box coated with an outside gas tank sealer, then with a pelican container inside just to make sure it the contents remained water tight, has worked well in this cache Geo MoJo #7 // da beast within can't giveaway anymore

Joe

What is the eye bolt and latch on the side for? Opening the can?

A concrete block tends to roll with the current, try something flat, can’t say exactly, it is because one of the locals may try to pull it up, only safe to safe that mine weights in more that fifty pounds and it quite large and flat. The main reason for doing it this way is that trying snag the box to pull it up from a boat it will get caught under da boat, they will have to get into the water, get wet and muddy to log this one

The eye bolt and latch on the end is to TRY to keep anyone from opening the boxes under water, did I say try

Joe

If you give me the dimensions of the box I can tell you about how much weight will be required to hold it down.

Joe

It looks like the sizes of a .30 can vary a little bit, but assuming deminsions of 3.5"x7.25"x10" you will need around 9.2 pounds to weigh it down. To find this for other sized containers just multiply your containers volume in cubic feet by 62.42 to get pounds required. Or multiply the containers volume in cubic inches by .036 to get pounds needed.

A concrete block tends to roll with the current, try something flat, can’t say exactly, it is because one of the locals may try to pull it up, only safe to safe that mine weights in more that fifty pounds and it quite large and flat. The main reason for doing it this way is that trying snag the box to pull it up from a boat it will get caught under da boat, they will have to get into the water, get wet and muddy to log this one

The eye bolt and latch on the end is to TRY to keep anyone from opening the boxes under water, did I say try

Joe

I see. Fortunately i won't have to worry about current. Maybe i could poor a cement pad in a hole with a hook at the bottom of the hole. Then the bottom would be flat.

Thank you for the offer jfuredy!

It looks like the sizes of a .30 can vary a little bit, but assuming deminsions of 3.5"x7.25"x10" you will need around 9.2 pounds to weigh it down. To find this for other sized containers just multiply your containers volume in cubic feet by 62.42 to get pounds required. Or multiply the containers volume in cubic inches by .036 to get pounds needed.

Thank you too. Looks like i need to write that down...

Those photos are great! Just what I was thinking about. Mainly I wanted to know from those that have ammo cans placed like these how long one last befor it begins to rust out. This one would be one that through the winter is unavailable do to the amount of snow in this remote wilderness area. I also suspect that the spot I am thinking ices over. Summer water temp probobly dose not break 50. After patteling across and back in a float tube I had to do some jumping jacks to get warmed up. But on a warm summer day wading out into the lake:)