Business related caches

GC19772

Meet & Greet Groundspeak & Garmin in Chicago

The policy has always been

Some exceptions can be made. In these situations, permission can be given by Groundspeak. However, permission should be asked first before posting. If you are in doubt, ask first. If you do not have advance permission, your reviewer will refer you to Groundspeak.

Maybe this event got advance permission from Groundspeak before posting it, you think?

Edited by tozainamboku

GC19772

Considering that event has to do with promoting a Groundspeak product, they probably got permission to do it.

Anyways, this is a little OT, but are we allowed to place caches on the location of a business as long as we get permission? I was thinking about doing one locally, but I wasn't sure if I need to contact the manager of the store or the people who own the shopping center the store is in.

As long as you are not directly promoting the business, it is OK

Some examples in Colorado

-4 series (7-11)

See Spot series (Target)

On every corner series and Project Wal series (Walgreens)

Denver Bookworm series (Public Libraries in Denver)

Star series (Starbucks)

Homer series (Home Depot)

Edited by arthurat

Anyways, this is a little OT, but are we allowed to place caches on the location of a business as long as we get permission? I was thinking about doing one locally, but I wasn't sure if I need to contact the manager of the store or the people who own the shopping center the store is in.

What exactly does "on the location" mean? In the parking lot? In the store?

-4 series (7-11)

See Spot series (Target)

Star series (Starbucks)

Yes, these are excellent examples of what is OK, not naming the business directly.

I don't see what the big deal is, it's not like any of these places know that they were being promoted, and that there are caches in their parking lots, or they have given approval for them to be there. :D

It would most likely be either in the parking lot or on the store's porch.

If people are required to enter the business or interact with employees it will probably be considered commercial.

If you name your cache after the business, or mention the business on the cache page it will probably be considered commercial.

If you write something on the page like "The cache is hidden with permission of the business owner. Jim's a great guy. Stop in and say hello" it will probably be considered commercial.

If you just hide it in the parking lot and make no mention of the business other than something like "The cache is hidden with permission of the business owner" it is probably OK.

GC19772

A commercial cache can be listed with permission from Groundspeak. I'm not sure why it would be surprising that they would give themselves permission to publish something that directly promotes them and their services, espcially when it is promoting an item that would be of interest to many cachers. :rolleyes:

I'm also very much looking forward to that one! :ph34r:

-4 series (7-11)

See Spot series (Target)

Star series (Starbucks)

Interesting . . . There was a many-cache "Homer" series here and the caches had been in place for well over year when a different Reviewer, or someone from Groundspeak, saw them and Archived them stating they "promoted" the business. :rolleyes:

They were usually LPCs in a far corner of the parking lot. :ph34r: