Paperless - and PQless - caching!

PopUpPirate

I browsed here after seeing Jeremys post on the main forums.

Well, its free on the Nokia N95. If you have a data plan, it'll cost you a small amount for the odd blip of data that gets sent down the wire. This will be free on many data plans. The GPS is built in.

I'd been told elsewhere that it was not for UK carriers - however, the way that the N95 downloads data means it works!!

So, without ANY pqs, or uploading to the memory card, or anything - I started the program on my phone.

Within a few seconds, it lists all the nearest caches to my current location, lets me navigate to them with the inbuilt GPS, and has all the cache listing info there, too. - hints and everything. You can log them instantly too if you like.

:laughing:

Edited by PopUpPirate

I tried it out t the weekend - great especially the feature to mark a cache as found, then when back home, hey presto a ready made set of links to logs the caches! No more waiting for Geoff to log them and copying his list [:o]

The GPSr accuracy didn't seem to be as good as last time I used the N95, but I think that was just finger trouble!

Sounds great! :)

Enjoy it while it lasts cos if they're charging $5.99 a month they ain't going to want to give it away for free over here! I imagine someone will put the plug back in the hole. :unsure::laughing:

It's the data plan that you are paying for. On the Nokia version, with my Orange deal, it's included with my monthly bundle.

It's great because it has aerial photography and uk street mapping on it, so its easy to work out where you need to go. Might not need to replace my faulty PDA!

just got my new Nokia N95 on an unlimited data plan today and downloaded this application. It is nothing short of............

WOW!!

Does everything it says on the tin and provides free street maps. Can't wait to play :(

So Mr Hornet Sir, does that mean we might see you out caching rather than er, the other things you do?

Stu (who may have to wait slightly longer for his caches)

p.s. Can you come home please? We like your caches.

Hi guys - Just wondering if anyone may be able to help?

Have posted of the Trimble nav forum but thought I'd ask here too :)

I have downloaded the software & linked my phone to my GC account. (nokia S60 Navigator) When I try to find caches I get the following message. Can someone maybe enlighten me as to what I may be doing wrong please?

An unexpected error occurred, (GN1006) if this problem persists please contact support at 1-800-*******

Many thanks :)

Edited by Team JKK

I've just got an N95 8g solely for the purpose of paperless caching (well, maybe because I'm a gadget freak too). I then downloaded the application, got a gps lock and.......

An unexpected error occurred, (GN1006) if this problem persists please contact support.......

Looks like I'm in the same boat as you Team JKK, have you found a cure yet?

Maybe I should have just waited for the nuviphone from garmin!

Many thanks I have it sorted now. :mad:

Had an e-mail from geocache navigator this morning with a list of hints & after a quick call to vodafone I discovered I needed to use contract internet instead of contract WAP as my access point! :)

ta dah - it's working!

Anyway thought i'd report my findings too incase anyone else came accross this problem, but then I guess most would have figured that out waaaaay before me! :P

Looking forward to using this!

Oh I NEED this :D

Just cannot justify the Phone/Plan :D

The word is our work phones are going to be upgraded in August to N95 :D

I have to wait :)

My Nokia 6110 Nav phone was free with vodafone. I signed up for the basic package & added the dataplan for a few quid per month. Will see how it goes :D

Edited by Team JKK

Oh I NEED this :rolleyes:

Just cannot justify the Phone/Plan :lol:

The word is our work phones are going to be upgraded in August to N95 :sunsure:

I have to wait :blink:

My Nokia 6110 Nav phone was free with vodafone. I signed up for the basic package & added the dataplan for a few quid per month. Will see how it goes :blink:

I'm brand spanking new to this, so i'm trying to scrape together as much knowledge as possible!! :rolleyes:

I've got an O2 Xda with Co-Pilot Sat Nav. Is this programme compatible for this phone?

Thanks

Hmmm... been working with the Mega Event team and others to do a little slot on paperless caching at the Event for those who want to know what it is all about.... So I plan to show PQ's, GSAK, PDA's GPX files and the rest.

Then along comes this application. Blows my plans out of the water doesn't it!

We'll be lucky to stretch our slot to 2 minutes.

Chris