Public Caches

Is it legal to put caches in road signs, light poles, and other government owned property?

Oh... urban infrastructure question. sigh...

When I had first looked at the forum thread name, I had mistakenly thought that it read "Pubic Caches" and it reminded me, of course, of the mammary cleavage travel bugs at GW4.... ohhh... never mind...

sigh..

:)

;)

I think the queston is: If I'm searching for this cache, will someone call law enforcement because I look suspecious?

From reading numerous other posts here, I don't think the cache has to be on a public sign to make you look suspicious enough from someone to call the police. Sticking a magnet on a stop sign or telephone pole probably isn't illegal. And generally, if you're not doing anything illegal the most that would happen is the LEO would ask you to leave and take your magnet with you.

That said, is a stop sign or telephone pole really that interesting of a location to warrant another micro? Just because a micro can be placed there doesn't make it an interesting location.

Goodness people. Don't jump on the bandwagon too quickly. The stop sign or guard rail could be in front of a beautiful place. I, for one, have found a few crappy hides at great locations. A guard rail in front of Georgia's largest Anglican church (beautiful, by the way) or the stop sign hide next to a large wooded park (rare in Atlanta) I never would have stopped to check these things out had I never went to find the "boring Micros" :laughing:

It may also be the final location for a puzzle cache. I have found several stop sign micros where the purpose of the puzzle was less about finding the cache, and more about learning about caching or local cachers.

I love puzzle caches, and solve and find them whenever I have the competence. That being said, there are several in my area which are known to lead to signing a scrap of paper in a micro in a parking lot, and I have yet to see one that I'm interested in racking my brain for. Once or twice, where I didn't know any previous finders, I actually solved them, only to look at the Google Sat. view, and decide I wasn't interested.

This is not to say there aren't some really interesting puzzles in your area. :laughing:

Besides, the OP could be talking about sticking keyholders on stop signs for legs of a multi-cache. Probably not though. :laughing:

Shouldn't be a problem so long as you are not modifying or defacing the sign. Might need more permission.

However......such objects are generally not well suited as cache sites.

"such objects are generally not well suited as cache sites". I agree. However, judging from the number of those locations that I have seen listed on gc.com, that is a minority opinion. Or at the very least, the hiders that do that, agree but don't care.

A trend that is rampant with micros in general. But again, who cares..........really?

BTW, no one in here knows whether or not it is legal unless they represent or personally know and have asked and recieved of them the answer, someone who represents the legal department which is responsible for the specific piece of gubmint property in question. I'd therefore be especially careful in following any such legal advice obtained. 'Free' legal advice is usually worth, more or less, exactly how much you paid for it.

BTW, none of the above applies in or to the State fo New Jersey.

Edited by Team Cotati