Bookmark entries limited to 150?

KS&k

I've been keeping a private bookmark list called "Our finds," where I describe each cache we find and keep them in chronological order. We recently passed our 150th find and I've continued to record the finds in the bookmark, but the last 5 entries aren't showing up (even though the bookmark says the total number of records is 155). I've checked around but can't find that there's a limit to the number of bookmark entries you can have. Is 150 the limit that'll show, or am I doing something wrong?

While we're on the topic, can someone suggest a better way of keeping track of our finds? I hate having to start from page 1 of the bookmarks every time I enter a new cache...

TIA

KS&k

While we're on the topic, can someone suggest a better way of keeping track of our finds? I hate having to start from page 1 of the bookmarks every time I enter a new cache...

I log a Find on the cache page. The system then keeps track of my find for me. Sounds like you're making things a lot harder than they need to be.

I think most people keep track of their finds by logging them (and then looking at their own profile pages). It sounds like you are doubling your work. :)

If you aren't doing so already, it's a very good idea to log each find on the cache's page. It lets the owner and other seekers know that the cache is still there, and the site keeps a running tally for you in chronological order. If you still want to keep a diary-style list of caches in which to put more information that you'd like to disclose on the site, I would recommend using Word or whatever other word-processor software came with your computer, because no matter what other feature you use on the site, you're eventually going to run up against an entry limit.

Edited by MountainRacer

I've been keeping a private bookmark list called "Our finds," where I describe each cache we find and keep them in chronological order. We recently passed our 150th find and I've continued to record the finds in the bookmark, but the last 5 entries aren't showing up (even though the bookmark says the total number of records is 155). I've checked around but can't find that there's a limit to the number of bookmark entries you can have. Is 150 the limit that'll show, or am I doing something wrong?

TIA

KS&k

We do the same thing -- we're currently on our third "our finds" bookmark list. Each one does hold 500.

I bet if you check this morning, you will find that the five additional caches are there. You are seeing a problem that has existed for years; there's sort sort of synchronization delay when you add new caches to a bookmark list that causes the new ones not to appear for a little while.

See my description of the problem here and in subsequent posts in that same thread ("Bookmark Lists", which has unforuntately fallen off of the frist page of this forum).

Edit: maybe you could add this problem to the Bookmark lists thread, bumping it back up to the top :unsure:

Edited by the hermit crabs

If you aren't doing so already, it's a very good idea to log each find on the cache's page. It lets the owner and other seekers know that the cache is still there, and the site keeps a running tally for you in chronological order.

The site does keep the list in chronological order, somewhere, but it doesn't show the list in that order. It shows the list in two different orders, depending on how you look at it, but neither one is chronological if you ever find more than one cache in a single day.

If you look at "My Account -> Show all logs for: Caches -> Show: Found it:", the caches are listed newest to oldest by date, but within in any given date, the order is reversed, showing oldest to newest.

If you look at "My Account -> View my profile -> Geocaches -> All cache finds", the caches are listed newest to oldest by date, but within any given date, the order is completely random.

Try GSAK - does it for you. Keep a "Found" database in it. I add to it every time I find one, then I run a PQ of my finds every so often to make sure I haven't missed any. Of all the things I have for geocaching (other than my GPS), this is a 'must have' for me.

If you aren't doing so already, it's a very good idea to log each find on the cache's page. It lets the owner and other seekers know that the cache is still there, and the site keeps a running tally for you in chronological order.

The site does keep the list in chronological order, somewhere, but it doesn't show the list in that order. It shows the list in two different orders, depending on how you look at it, but neither one is chronological if you ever find more than one cache in a single day.

Yes. I have complained about that in another thread. The information is there (and Itsnotaboutthenumbers.com manages to get it right using data from gc.com), but gc.com doesn't care about implementing a minor correction to display the finds in order.

If you look at "My Account -> Show all logs for: Caches -> Show: Found it:", the caches are listed newest to oldest by date, but within in any given date, the order is reversed, showing oldest to newest.

If you look at "My Account -> View my profile -> Geocaches -> All cache finds", the caches are listed newest to oldest by date, but within any given date, the order is completely random.

I use the Sequential Find Counter to automatically insert the find count number into the log. If I ever have a burning need to know what order I found cache on a particular day, it's easy to check.

findcount.png

Edited by Prime Suspect

<snip>

TIA

KS&k

If you want to keep track of all your finds, in order, you might want to start a blog. I've been keeping one for more than three years now. Although I haven't been putting in the detail of each and every cache I found, you could sure do it that way. It is great to go back to a specific entry and pull up the day and look at the pictures I took on that caching adventure.

I use the Sequential Find Counter to automatically insert the find count number into the log. If I ever have a burning need to know what order I found cache on a particular day, it's easy to check.

findcount.png

The reason that we started keeping our finds in a bookmark list was that sometimes we'd go to a cache page and not remember whether we had found that particular cache before or not. A quick glance to the right side of the page told us whether it was in our bookmark list of found caches.

Since then, we have started using some of the greasemonkey scripts (though not the one linked above -- I don't really want the find # included in every log). And the "Totals by log type" will show us at a glance whether we've logged it or not. But by the time we got around to using it, we'd being bookmarking them for so long that it was too hard a habit to give up :unsure:

I, too, have been keeping a copy of all my logs in bookmark lists.

I edit the title of the bookmark to include the find number at the beginning and the date of the find at the end

for example -"CACHE aaa" becomes "123 - CACHE aaa - 1/1/08"

this way they always appear in the order in which I found them.

Originally you could only put 200 caches into a bookmark list and then it was changed to a limit of 500.

I keep a bookmark list of my finds because you can only get the My Finds PQ once a week and I was finding multiple caches everyday and wanting to update the statistics on my profile page in between. The easiest way was to keep a list and then PQ that into GSAK with the macro. It has just become habit now to add a find to the list each time.

I, too, have been keeping a copy of all my logs in bookmark lists.

I edit the title of the bookmark to include the find number at the beginning and the date of the find at the end

for example -"CACHE aaa" becomes "123 - CACHE aaa - 1/1/08"

this way they always appear in the order in which I found them.

Originally you could only put 200 caches into a bookmark list and then it was changed to a limit of 500.

Thanks for your suggestions so far. FWIW, we are premium members, and we do log our finds (and DNF's!) on the cache pages. I started the bookmark list because 1) I couldn't get the website to keep a sequential list all in one place; 2) it's easy to go back to the page of a cache we found a couple of years ago but can't remember the name of; and 3) since the bookmark is kept private, I can write a description about how each cache is hidden and how we found it (something I wouldn't do on the cache page). This is useful if someone wants a hint on a cache you found long ago and don't remember, or if you had an adventure finding the cache and want to write about it but not necessarily publish it on the cache log.

I use Crew 153's method above to keep the bookmark entries sequential. I've checked back and it's still stuck at 150. The last date for a find is 1/2/08! Judging from the responses, it looks like the best way to keep track of sequential finds is somewhere other than GC.com. That's too bad, 'cause it's been very easy to just edit the cache name in the bookmark list and keep it all in one place.

Apparently we aren't the only ones experiencing difficulty w/ bookmarks, since there's another thread about them.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions! :blink:

KS&k