Visiting London

We are planning on visiting London in March and we will be stay near the Eye.

We would appreciate if anyone can recommend caches that we should be certain to hit or if anyone can direct us to useful links/bookmarks.

Thanks,

VSG's dad

Hi VSM- I think we were both in New Orleans last week and did a couple of the same caches. My favourite London cache is London Invasion. It's a multi that takes you around some interesting spots seeking out strange mosaic alien pictures. Kook29 has another good multicache, too- Sing as You Go. Or for a very cheeky cache placement try Ghandi Peace Cache.

There's a virtual at the top of St Paul's Cathedral that is very nice. You have to take your pic at the top on the catwalk outside. The Cathedral itself is just breathtakingly beautiful, however, it's not free to enter. You are not allowed to take pics inside either it or Westminster Abbey, which stinks, but we had a special travel bug with us and we explained it to the supervisor and we were allowed to take a few pics with our travel bug, a little bear dressed like a monk who was out to visit Cathedrals :D.

Beautiful, impressive place with a decent little cafe in the basement and a nice gift shop and a TON of history!

Have a nice trip!

Naomi :lol:

There's a map of caches around tube stations somewhere... It may be offline as there's a problem with the site. I recommend the virtual on top of The Monument (£2 for an adult, 311 steps) which is one of the 'calamity' series. Head for the tube station called Monument and you can't miss it - It's still the world's tallest free-standing Doric column, despite being built in- dadgum, it's closed for restoration. Sorry :rolleyes:

There's a map of caches around tube stations somewhere... It may be offline as there's a problem with the site.

.... I tried to find it on C&M's site this afternoon, but the only link I could get from that was to GUK :rolleyes::)

....perhaps C&M could be persuaded to host it on their site again?

Slightly off-topic, but... I do not know how long you intend to stay in London and how much travelling you intend to do but I strongly suggest you consider getting Oyster cards as they can save you a lot of money. The link shows the fares for cash and for using the card. After getting the card(s) there is no more queuing at ticket offices. If you do not use all the money on the card(s) you can always give them to someone else who may be coming to London.

It is also worth remembering that, although London is a big place, the tourist areas are not that far apart and it si quite often quicker to walk than use public transport.

Slightly off-topic, but... I do not know how long you intend to stay in London and how much travelling you intend to do but I strongly suggest you consider getting Oyster cards

I'll second that... mine saved me SO much money over New Year when I was in London.... and I still have £4 on it for the next time I'm in teh big smoke.

The card cost £3 to start with, but you could save that in your 1st return trip!!!

I'll second the vote for Regents Park caches. The letterbox exchange is a suprising cache for the location, but i've enjoyed most of the London Park caches.

I've also heard good things about London Invasion, so will be trying that before too long!

Add a third vote for Regent's Park :rolleyes:

My Secret Spot cache is disable at present, but if it stays dry there's a good chance that this place will reopen soon.

That :rolleyes: reminds me...

If time allows you might enjoy a visit to the historical Greenwich Park, in SE London. You can find the Prime Meridian Line and stand with one foot in the east and the other in the west, then have a wander to find the Prime Meridian cache. There are other caches nearby, one with a good view of the Park's resident deer, and I can recommend the food at the Regatta café near the National Maritime Museum. :)

MrsB