To archive or not to archive

ar_kayaker

I am working at replacing a cache (GCXYF3) that has gone MIA and am unsure how it should affect the listing becuase the replacement will have to be moved by at least 50 feet, probably closer to 200-300 to find a new hiding place thanks to some destruction of the terrain by loggers. It will also be a new container of course.

Cache, location, and camo will all have to be significantly changed, but the cache involves some serious getting to in the first place and that won't change. Should I archive the old one or just update the coordinates?

AK

It would be easy to become "archive crazy." I would try to avoid that, but when terrain has been bulldozed, etc. Start all over.

We had some local cachers that went "archive crazy" here a while ago. They would archive their caches and then then repost them as new caches, same container, same old log book and the same location.

They would do this when the cache rate slowed down.

For a while I thought my PQs were wrong, then I thought I was forgeting to log my finds :ph34r:

Edited by JohnnyVegas

After reading the cache page, I'd say this is a case where just moving it and retaining the GCxxxx may be appropriate. Obviously for this cache, it's all about the approach options. Whether the cache is 400 feet this way or that along the bank isn't as critical as the river crossing.

I can see doing it either way.

It would be easy to become "archive crazy." I would try to avoid that, but when terrain has been bulldozed, etc. Start all over.

We had some local cachers that went "archive crazy" here a while ago. They would archive their caches and then then repost them as new caches, same container, same old log book and the same location.

They would do this when the cache rate slowed down.

For a while I thought my PQs were wrong, then I thought I was forgeting to log my finds :ph34r:

Funny thing is there are plenty of threads here advocating auto archiving caches after some arbitrary amount of time (1 year is common example).

And if you want to alleviate confusion use a different name for the new cache, even if it is just appending II to the cache name (i.e. Geocache II).

How different will the seekers experience be?

You mention 'some serious getting to' in your OP. If that experience is the main reason for your placing the cache here, then I wouldn't archive and create a new listing. If the approach is only part of the experience, and the seeking will have changed sufficiently then archive and renew.

Edited by wimseyguy

After visiting the site again today it looks like it will have to move about 150', but the overall caching experience will be the same. The container will be a different shape, but the same size category, and the location will simply be the other side of the same clearing.

I'm not much for giving out free smilelys and I'd rather not have archived listings stuck permentanly to the bottom of my owned caches page, so unles my reviewer makes me archive for the 150' change I'm just going with corrected coordinates when I get the new container built.

AK