Garin Nuvi Phone...

Source_GPS

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/stor...28/daily35.html

It appears that Garmin has found a way to converge all of the devices into one, hopefully as a good GPS first and a phone second. Let's see if their Q3 push is realistic (historically they have not been reliable). I hope it is not as buggy when it comes out as the Colorado.

Edit: I have cancelled my preorder for my Colorado and Nuvi 880 hoping this will take the place of these and my cell phone.

Edited by Source_GPS

Actually it is a PDA - It is supposed to compete with the iphone, however at this point we don't know what platform it is written on and if it will accept applications already written for existing platforms, or it will require proprietary ones. If they're smart, it will share a platform so developers don't have to modify their products.

Actually it is a PDA - It is supposed to compete with the iphone, however at this point we don't know what platform it is written on and if it will accept applications already written for existing platforms, or it will require proprietary ones. If they're smart, it will share a platform so developers don't have to modify their products.

... I thought that I read that it used a Garmin O/S?

If it has readers for MobiPocket and eReader eBooks I'd be interested. But I doubt if it will.

It looks neat :D but it's not an actual PDA, right?

So,, no connecting it to GSAK & download .gpx style content into it?

...pass

Garmin's own O/S.

Not Palm., Not Windows Mobile, Not the Linux PDA version, not Symbian...

Cool but I really need something that runs my software.

Well, maybe they will follow suit and release an SDK like Apple is doing for the iPhone, if that is really who they are competing with.

They seem to be boasting a lot of Google features. I wouldn't be surprised if they were developing on Google's Android platform. If so, I know what I want for Christmas next year. Scratch the Colorado and the iPhone off of the list of gadgets to salivate over -- this thing would be red, red hot.

Edited by bargle

They seem to be boasting a lot of Google features. I wouldn't be surprised if they were developing on Google's Android platform. If so, I know what I want for Christmas next year. Scratch the Colorado and the iPhone off of the list of gadgets to salivate over -- this thing would be red, red hot.

That's possible. The one thing about Android that I'm not liking is that I have no doubt that Google will have a way to slurp up data on your usage and store it so they can serve up ads. That and it still needs to run my apps.

There is no doubt that if they run Android, you will be able to run plenty of applications. I am confident that most PDA software vendors will want to produce their software for the Internet powerhouse's platform.

Interesting approach if Google is their partner - it would explain why they were so quiet when Nokia purchased Navteq and then they let TomTom overpay for TeleAtlas. Seems to me that Min Kao might be a better poker player than investors give him credit for.

Edited by Source_GPS

That's possible. The one thing about Android that I'm not liking is that I have no doubt that Google will have a way to slurp up data on your usage and store it so they can serve up ads.

Ugh. Too true.

That and it still needs to run my apps.

Yeah, if you're stuck on Palm or Wince apps, this thing probably isn't for you. After reading some more, I've seen more than one source that asserts that it will be running Garmin's proprietary OS. I can't find an original source or quote for that, but it's probably something that came out in the Garmin press conference. Oh well -- things will probably turn out the way they do with all other Garmin products: no real way for the user to expand the device capabilities. Maybe that isn't so bad, if the thing is rock solid when it hits the streets. Notably, Garmin did not use the PDA word in the press release.

I wonder if it will play Wherigo? :-p

This is true, they did not use the term PDA. However, the iPhone has been dubbed a PDA and this is supposed to be its competition, making it a PDA by association - perhaps? Or maybe they don't want to use PDA for fear it may diminish the value of their iQue line, which in my opinion is due for replacement or obsoletion.

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/01/who-dares-call.html

Third paragraph from the bottom - I think we may have our answer for now on software. Not entirely too promising.

Hey, a lack of expandable functionality might not be so bad, as long as it works great out of the box from the start. You know, just like the Colorado or the 60/76 CSx.

I'm sorry. I couldn't help myself. We have to have someone to pick on, now that Magellan has made themselves sad and irrelevant with the Triton series.

I thought I read somewhere recently that you can mod those radios to broadcast on ham.

That wouldn't surprise me, although getting them to broadcast APRS would not be possible without some major firmware changes. Plus, only a radio designed for ham bands would provide the kind of tuning capabilities that you'd want. Neat that some people have modded the Rino's though.

I really wonder if this thing will be useful for geocaching. It's called a "Nuvi"phone, and from the one picture I've sen of any GPS features, it shows their 3d view of a driving directions. I don't think it is geared towards the outdoors GPS market, and more towards the "where is the nearest sushi restaurant" crowd.

I really wonder if this thing will be useful for geocaching. It's called a "Nuvi"phone, and from the one picture I've sen of any GPS features, it shows their 3d view of a driving directions. I don't think it is geared towards the outdoors GPS market, and more towards the "where is the nearest sushi restaurant" crowd.

Who said it would be good for caching??

Who said it would be good for caching??

One of their press releases made reference to geocaching, although that doesn't mean it will be good at it. It has a built-in camera with geo-tagging though too.

One of their press releases made reference to geocaching, although that doesn't mean it will be good at it. It has a built-in camera with geo-tagging though too.

Cool! Could you provide a link to that press release? The nuvifone page doesn't have anything about it, and neither does the Garmin Press Release page.

This thing has gotten me all excited for no good reason. Now all they need to do is shrink it down to the size of a 3rd gen iPod Nano, and I'd be in geek gadget heaven.

Cool! Could you provide a link to that press release? The nuvifone page doesn't have anything about it, and neither does the Garmin Press Release page.

I don't see anything about geocaching.

http://www8.garmin.com/pressroom/mobile/013008.html

It wasn't in their press release but an analyst's announcement. Could be an error, we don't know at this point. I am still looking for the post, but having trouble finding it. I thought I read it on Google Finance.

Also, found this. Some more screenshots:

http://gizmodo.com/350894/nuvifone-garmin-...ne-into-the-gps

I wonder who's network they would sell the phone under ?

AT&T..... Verizon ? Or someone else ?

Or better yet... maybe it's one of thoe new "Universal" system phones which is unlocked and can be used on any phone network.

Tim

The present shared opinion seems to be that it will be on AT&T service due to "HSDPA", which is apparently the way it uses to talk data to the network. It seems that AT&T is the only provider with such service in 2008.

Oh yeah, unlocked phones aren't anything new. They've had them in the rest of the world forever.

Or better yet... maybe it's one of thoe new "Universal" system phones which is unlocked and can be used on any phone network.

Tim

The present shared opinion seems to be that it will be on AT&T service due to "HSDPA", which is apparently the way it uses to talk data to the network. It seems that AT&T is the only provider with such service in 2008.

Oh yeah, unlocked phones aren't anything new. They've had them in the rest of the world forever.

Interesting tactic on AT&T's side - have two killer phones on their network only (or so was the inital thought but they can't find 240,000 iPhones that were supposed to be activated).

Tim

bargle,

Ya.... I see many, many of the "unlocked" cell phones for sale on ebay. I think that there is finally a push for the cell phone companies and manufactureres for offer unlocked phones in the US now.

I have seen a few blurbs where the FCC may mandate the unlocking of the phones so you are not stuck with one carrier if you want to change your service but dont' want to buy a new phone.

Tim

Tim

bargle,

Ya.... I see many, many of the "unlocked" cell phones for sale on ebay. I think that there is finally a push for the cell phone companies and manufactureres for offer unlocked phones in the US now.

I have seen a few blurbs where the FCC may mandate the unlocking of the phones so you are not stuck with one carrier if you want to change your service but dont' want to buy a new phone.

Tim

The FCC already told providers that the new 700MHZ band they are bidding on now, must be open. No more locked phones.

Here's one article about it: http://www.electronista.com/articles/08/01...pen.access.bid/

Edited by Source_GPS

The FCC already told providers that the new 700MHZ band they are bidding on now, must be open. No more locked phones.

Here's one article about it: http://www.electronista.com/articles/08/01...pen.access.bid/

It's about time.

I've read that another possible option for Garmin would be T-Mobile, but since T-Mobile is setting up their network to be USA-only, Garmin wouldn't go with them because they'd need to make two versions of the phone. It sounds nice, like a strike against closed phones and closed networks, but I don't think that rationalization makes much sense. Anyone familiar with Garmin's product line knows that they aren't afraid to make a bunch of tiny variations on the same basic model.

This sheds some light on the nuvifone from a business perspective:

http://www.gpsbusinessnews.com/index.php?a...&numero=631

The whole "it's not a smartphone" angle is something that I've seen in other articles. The whole point seems to be that the nuvifone is the lovechild of a PND and a cell phone. This is as opposed to a smartphone, which is the lovechild of a PDA and a cell phone.

Heh. That cell phone sure gets around.

One piece of BS that occurs to me is this whole "it remembers where you parked your car" thing. How well is it going to work in a parking garage? Is it going to have enough precision and accuracy in the garage to remember what level you were on?

If they used the same development team that made Garmin Mobile XT (and possibly the Colorado?), then geocaching functionality seems to have fallen off the back of the stove. At least Garmin isn't making any claims about their geocache-ability. However, if the developers who worked on the 60 series manage to sneak back in, maybe all their devices will have a usable geocaching mode once again! I'm hopeful (since I use Mobile XT for a PPC with built-in GPSr and it's crying out for a geocaching mode).

More video of the nuvifone. This is better, because it's not a nuvifone advertisement. There's still not much new here, except more views of the form factor:

Garmin has their new doodad on display at some show in Barcelona this week. Maybe someone will ask the right question and we'll get some clue as to whether this thing will have any Geocaching functionality. At this point, I'm not real confident because they won't be releasing an SDK and it doesn't really make sense for them to put any time in to geocaching functionality when they could be working on the advertised functionality.

Of course, Nokia is exhibiting a smartphone with an actual GPS receiver in it (N96), and it does use an operating system for which there are third party software development options. Does anyone here use the N95? For Geocaching?

Maybe someone will think of a cool game to play with geolocated pictures. Maybe something like Waymarking except it's all about the FTF hunt.