Happy Colorado Owners?

I was wondering if there were any happy owners out there too.

This is the review I wrote for amazon.com on the unit...

-----------------

I bought this item with the understanding it had flaws. It is a new line, and it is a big step to take. Almost like moving from Windows 98 to Windows XP. It takes a lot of getting used to, and it is cumbersome to set up. I spent over 3 hours backing up the maps that come on the unit (not viewable on the PC, but do back it up because if lost they are not recoverable), customizing the "profiles," and rearranging the shortcuts to an actual usable rotation.

The unit runs off of shortcuts, rather than buttons on the front of the unit (like to 60C series). One button pulls up a menu of options to scroll through. You can change profiles to bring up different sets of shortcuts and settings.

I.e. I start in Automotive, which has a map viewed form above, with on-road auto-nav to a location near a geocache. Once I find a parking spot, I press the shortcuts button, and change to "geocaching" profile. It automatically switches to 3d topographical, "off-road" map that I follow to the cache. When I get close I shortcut to the option of compass o get right to it.

I have not had the bad experience of draining batteries. I accidentally left it on the first night after using it, and even after caching with the backlight periodically on, it still had bars left on the gauge the next morning.

Accuracy is not an issue (it is quite phenominal, 7-10ft 90% of the time) and I get full strength GPS signal inside the middle of my house (never ever got that with my 60CS).

The basemap roads are off significantly, but since I purchased the city-nav software with the unit, I only had to deal with the basemap for the ride home from where I bought it :anibad:. 80ft accuracy on the topography mapping is not so hot when driving (which side of the knoll am I on?), but when hiking it is more than accurate enough with the path tracking turned on (if 80ft off gets you lost while hiking, you probably shouldn't be hiking off the path).

The geocaching options are fabulous, being able to view the full name, description, previous logs, and an option to view the hint is great.

My only complaints are that geocaches don't show on the maps (only waypoints do). You can't edit/delete/mark-as-found geocaches at all. The marketing for this unit is a complete lie when they say "bright display even in the sunlight". Truth be told, on a sunny day like today, even in the shade, with the backlight fully on, it is hard to see the details on the screen. Also, only certain mini-usb chargers will charge the unit. The one I use to charge my cell phone puts the unit into "computer linking" mode rather than as a power supply (rendering it unusable as a GPS). Other phone charges work fine for some reason, there must be a difference between Type-A mini USB and Type-B mini USB that the unit is sensitive too, while most cell phones and the like are not.

Overall with the 400t, city nav 2008, the dash mount (60cs version doesn't fit), new car charger and protective case, it came to a ridiculously high cost, but understand this: I would buy it again. If you do so, just remember that the effort you put into setting it up to fit your needs makes a huge difference. Take the time to learn it inside and out and you will experience how the complexity of it turns into versatility and enjoyment.

-----------------

Overall, I love it. My main concern is that I don't get to take it caching often enough...

Edited by scavok
My only complaints are that geocaches don't show on the maps (only waypoints do). You can't edit/delete/mark-as-found geocaches at all.

I probably would have mentioned that this will definitely be fixed in a future update.

The marketing for this unit is a complete lie when they say "bright display even in the sunlight". Truth be told, on a sunny day like today, even in the shade, with the backlight fully on, it is hard to see the details on the screen.

I've had no problems seeing the screen details in any lighting condition. My wife hasn't complained about this either. Maybe it's because we are coming from the eXplorist camp and not the 60CSx camp, so have different expectations.

--Marky

My only complaints are that geocaches don't show on the maps (only waypoints do). You can't edit/delete/mark-as-found geocaches at all.

I probably would have mentioned that this will definitely be fixed in a future update.

The marketing for this unit is a complete lie when they say "bright display even in the sunlight". Truth be told, on a sunny day like today, even in the shade, with the backlight fully on, it is hard to see the details on the screen.

I've had no problems seeing the screen details in any lighting condition. My wife hasn't complained about this either. Maybe it's because we are coming from the eXplorist camp and not the 60CSx camp, so have different expectations.

--Marky

Polarized sunglasses will have a definite negative affect on LCD displays, even in the newer cars, just try

to find some Nice Substantial sunglasses that aren't polarized these days. Not many to pick from, still

an option for script though.

Norm

Just got my 400T today, having no problems at all. The unit receives a strong signal, even indoors. During the upgrade process it noted this was a chip type M. Free memory was in the 175M range toal memory 3 gig. I was able to load City Navigator NT 2008 maps covering Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Kentucky, Ohio, Missouri and Kansas into the remaining space. The autorouting is very similar if not identical to what I have seen in a friends Nuvi. I've only had it a few hours, and my primary usage is hiking and driving, so I'm not hung up on the geocaching issues at this point and am thrilled to this point. The unit is beautiful, and operating as expected. I'm surprised how heavy it is compared to an Explorist.

Just got my 400T today, having no problems at all. The unit receives a strong signal, even indoors. During the upgrade process it noted this was a chip type M. Free memory was in the 175M range toal memory 3 gig. I was able to load City Navigator NT 2008 maps covering Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Kentucky, Ohio, Missouri and Kansas into the remaining space. The autorouting is very similar if not identical to what I have seen in a friends Nuvi. I've only had it a few hours, and my primary usage is hiking and driving, so I'm not hung up on the geocaching issues at this point and am thrilled to this point. The unit is beautiful, and operating as expected. I'm surprised how heavy it is compared to an Explorist.

I'm really bummed with this unit. Some of the reasons are as follows. I'm unable to download any waypoints. It doesn't recognize the usb.

It constantly shuts off and requires a cold start. It won't hold it's brightness settings.

I am only able to download one waypoint at a time and I cannot mark a waypoint as found.

I can't modity the waypoint icons without the unit crashing.

I just got it today and I'ts been a royal PIA.

In addition to all of the above it won't interface with GSAK.

Either I got a lemon or this is a POC unit. Thank gor for my GPSMAP 60 gsX which has been a flawless unit.

I'm really bummed with this unit.

I think you wandered into the wrong thread. :lol: This is the Colorado love fest. There are plenty of other threads to raise issues with your Colorado. I'll try to address some of your issues though.

Not sure what you mean by "Doesn't recognize the USB". If it doesn't mount as a disk drive when you connect it via the supplied USB cable, then it's a defective. If it does, it's working as designed.

If it is shutting off when you don't want it to, or if it's hanging, then return it and get a new unit, it is defective. It should never do that. Mine doesn't.

By "waypoint", do you mean "waypoint" or "geocache waypoint"? Assuming that it mounts as a drive, then you can transfer geocache waypoints by copying the GPX file to /Garmin/GPX/. You can copy multiple GPX files if you like (although supposedly, there is currently a 1000 geocache limit). As far as marking geocache waypoints found, you can't currently. That functionality is promised in a future update, but it definitely is missing.

You should be able to modify waypoint icons without it crashing. I would return that unit and get a new one.

--Marky

--Marky

I'm curious and looking forward to being enlightened here. Where does Garmin have it documented that they will be fixing the caches on maps and "finding?" I have heard it said in a few forums that it will be fixed but am yet to see it said so on a garmin site. I just don't want to get my hopes up is all and don't want to see the customers' reaction if they decide to not add that feature

I agree about coming from the eXplorist side. My last unit was a 60CS, but prior to that I had two different explorists. I remember using the CS for the first time and being amazed at how bright it was. If all I need is to get used to the new screen I'm not there yet and still have a tough time in the sun.

We just need some Wherigo cartridges for Colorado. Seems odd they would name the unit after the great state, market it with the Wherigo and then not have any cartridges for the area :lol:. I want to go play!

Edited by scavok

Where does Garmin have it documented that they will be fixing the caches on maps and "finding?" I have heard it said in a few forums that it will be fixed but am yet to see it said so on a garmin site.

Don't hold you breath for that. For rather obvious reasons, Garmin don't inform about upcoming business decisions in advance. In this particular case, there has been information given verbally, at various meetings.
I'm curious and looking forward to being enlightened here. Where does Garmin have it documented that they will be fixing the caches on maps and "finding?" I have heard it said in a few forums that it will be fixed but am yet to see it said so on a garmin site. I just don't want to get my hopes up is all and don't want to see the customers' reaction if they decide to not add that feature.

Well, I sorta heard it second hand. I had a chance to chat with Jeremy about the Colorado and he was the one that said that they would be fixing the caches showing on the map, and marking caches as found. He also said that he is working with them to add an express logger feature similar to how the Trimble works that will automatically bring up the log a find page for each cache you marked found. So, if you trust Jeremy, then these features are in the works. :lol:

--Marky

Me neither. But I assume a more sensible implementation would store the caches you've logged for the day (or rather since last reporting on the geocaching site), then take you through these log pages on their web site automatically. It could fill in the date and time when you visited the cache automatically, then allow you to enter the log text, using your computer. The Colorado could also allow you to have an option to set a "looked for it, didn't find it" status in the GPS, which then would be filled in as a "didn't find" on the web site.

Once you've typed in the log, and perhaps uploaded images from a camera as well, you click in some "next cache to log" button, and the web site will take you to the next cache in the list of logs from the GPS, or tell you that there are no more logs.

I don't know how they envision this (they being Garmin and Groundspeak), but that's something like what I would have done, had it been me.

Iv'e had three bad units... so far.

Unit #1 went through batteries way to fast. It went back.

Unit #2 worked well the first day out caching but on the second day it started hanging up while in the geocaching mode. By the end of the day I could not use the geo mode at all. I tried different gpx files but nothing seemed to work so it went back.

Unit #3. I picked up a couple of days ago. I tested out the battery life that nite and it went for 7 1/2 hours of full backlight before it dropped down a level. This was WAY better than the previous units. I was stoked. I took it out caching after work yesterday only to be letdown yet again. The compass will not stay calibrated. It will hold for about ten minutes and then goes all wacky. I was out in the dark in an unfamiliar area trying to use a gps that didn't know which way to go. NOT GOOD!

Unit #4- do I dare...

I'm not sure that I'd like to type out a log on my Colorado! :)
Me neither. But I assume a more sensible implementation would store the caches you've logged for the day (or rather since last reporting on the geocaching site), then take you through these log pages on their web site automatically. It could fill in the date and time when you visited the cache automatically, then allow you to enter the log text, using your computer.
This is exactly what I was referring to. It's obvious to anyone who has played a Wherigo cart on the Colorado that typing in text is a royal pain and wouldn't be useful for writing log entries. :)

--Marky

I see someone else had a problem with connecting the Colorado to USB. I've had previous Garmin units and I was not able to get the drive letters to map at first, but it worked fine on another computer. It did show up under Device Manager as mass storage device, so I knew it was talking to the computer. I uninstalled the previous Garmin drivers, opened 'Device Manager' and uninstalled the 'USB mass storage device', unplugged and replugged it in and let it reinstall USB drivers. NOW it works fine!

I hadn't been geocaching before I had a Colorado, but I don't know how I'd do it without it now. I might have to actually *gasp* carry printed descriptions! No way. I love this unit!

Right now it's tough-love with this little unit. I want to love it so bad, and It has great potential, but Garmin really has to get hot on new firmware/software and update the functionality. I have faith that they will. At the same time I'm a little miffed that I was foolish enough to think that Garmin would have their crap together before releasing it. :unsure:

Are you an owner of the Colorado or a forum reader?

I don't follow the logic here. I own a Garmin Colorado. Am I not allowed to read the forum?

OR

Since I read the forums, am I required to return my Colorado 400t?

I think you left out a word or didn't quite write what you were thinking here.

Me neither. But I assume a more sensible implementation would store the caches you've logged for the day (or rather since last reporting on the geocaching site), then take you through these log pages on their web site automatically. It could fill in the date and time when you visited the cache automatically, then allow you to enter the log text, using your computer. The Colorado could also allow you to have an option to set a "looked for it, didn't find it" status in the GPS, which then would be filled in as a "didn't find" on the web site.

Once you've typed in the log, and perhaps uploaded images from a camera as well, you click in some "next cache to log" button, and the web site will take you to the next cache in the list of logs from the GPS, or tell you that there are no more logs.

I don't know how they envision this (they being Garmin and Groundspeak), but that's something like what I would have done, had it been me.

You know this will cause, yet again, another uproar on the geocaching forums. I can see it now: How dare they even suggest that I log a DNF just because I told the GPS I was going to a cache and then didn't mark it found!

Just think how easy it will be for the cachers who copy and paste 40 find logs after their worldwind day of caching! 40 seconds later and they would be sitting down to dinner, having finished logging all their finds!

This is a great feature and I hope they implement it soon.

Edited by LifeOnEdge!

Iv'e had three bad units... so far.

Unit #2 worked well the first day out caching but on the second day it started hanging up while in the geocaching mode. By the end of the day I could not use the geo mode at all. I tried different gpx files but nothing seemed to work so it went back.

Unit #3. I picked up a couple of days ago. I tested out the battery life that nite and it went for 7 1/2 hours of full backlight before it dropped down a level. This was WAY better than the previous units. I was stoked. I took it out caching after work yesterday only to be letdown yet again. The compass will not stay calibrated. It will hold for about ten minutes and then goes all wacky. I was out in the dark in an unfamiliar area trying to use a gps that didn't know which way to go. NOT GOOD!

Unit #4- do I dare...

I would hazard to guess three separate, but very solvable problems here:

Case 1) Your software updates were not current prior to use. Battery life should not have been an issue.

Case 2) Some of your geocaches have HTML code or certain .jpg files embedded in the description, causing your GPS unit to lock up. This is a known bug and (I assume) being fixed.

Case 3) Something was messing with your compass. I've noticed that the Colorado is either rock steady on the compass page OR its picking up nearby magnetic fields caused by various things: Belt buckles are a big one nearby the GPS when you are trying to use it. There is a long laundry list of things that I have personally found that disrupt the compass.

I would suggest that you place all magnetic sources in a pack and keep it at least 18" away from the GPS, especially when calibrating the unit after change of batteries.

I suspect that you wasted a lot of time and gasoline returning these units when a simple software upgrade on the first unit would have fixed your problems.

I suspect that you wasted a lot of time and gasoline returning these units when a simple software upgrade on the first unit would have fixed your problems.

Actually, I had one of those "early units" and the updates did little to nothing to improve the battery performance. Lucky for me it also had the bad clock so it went back. Some of the early units apperantly had different chips which somehow made the battery meter innacurate or less efficient. It was/is a real problem though, not simply an operational oversight.

I've had three bad units... so far.

Unit #4- do I dare...

I would hazard to guess three separate, but very solvable problems here:

Case 1) Your software updates were not current prior to use. Battery life should not have been an issue.

Case 2) Some of your geocaches have HTML code or certain .jpg files embedded in the description, causing your GPS unit to lock up. This is a known bug and (I assume) being fixed.

Case 3) Something was messing with your compass. I've noticed that the Colorado is either rock steady on the compass page OR its picking up nearby magnetic fields caused by various things: Belt buckles are a big one nearby the GPS when you are trying to use it. There is a long laundry list of things that I have personally found that disrupt the compass.

I would suggest that you place all magnetic sources in a pack and keep it at least 18" away from the GPS, especially when calibrating the unit after change of batteries.

I updated software right from the get-go on every gps. That was not the problem. Putting three sets of batteries in the unit (1st one) in less than six hours is just not right!

You might be right about the lock ups. But why would the unit work fine for about twelve hours and then start locking up once in a while at first and then lock up each and every time a short while later. And it didn't matter what cache I picked. It would just lock up instantaneously. Geocaching mode became impossible to use even with a different load of caches.

I know about things creating havoc with the compass. Things were in my pack. No keys, camera, phone, nada near the gps. I've been using these things for many years. Long before I started caching. I know broken. I am now on my fourth unit and it seems to be stable. Once the clock was incorrect and it had a hard time finding itself but this has only happened once (fingers crossed). The only complaint I have is the same as a lot of others. Very poor battery life.

not an owner but looking foward to getting one. checked out the update page on garmin.com and these are the fixes in the update.

Change History

Changes made from version 2.20 to 2.30:

* Added setting to turn off the compass.

* Alarm clock will not change your backlight if it is already on.

* Low battery warning shows on powerup when appropriate.

* Improved DEM shading with supplemental maps.

* Fixed marine colors for depth soundings and active track.

* Added ability to view extended chart information and chart notes.

* Improve share wirelessly connection.

Changes made from version 2.10 to 2.20:

* Fixed potential shutdown when using partially discharged alkaline batteries and significant amounts of backlight.

* Improved backlight usability.

* Corrected potential memory leak on altimeter page.

* Corrected issue that changed map setting to north up if reviewing a point on the map.

* Changed the automotive view angle to match automotive products.

* Added ability to exit compass calibration if calibration fails.

* Improved performance and error handling of Share Wirelessly application.

* Corrected tone of route turn warnings.

* Added height and depth information on review pages if the information is available (related to marine maps).

* Corrected drawing of spot soundings.

* Improved drawing of satellite imagery in 400i and 400c

--Marky

Marky,

I did an outdoor, sunny day, side-by-side comparison of the Colorado 400t with the GPSmap 60 CSx yesterday. Except for the contrast differences caused by the reverse lettering, they were nearly identical. In the sun (display facing the sun) the display was best: brilliant in fact. In full daylight (display not facing the sun) the display was very readable. In full daylight (display reflecting glare from the sky) the display is weak. Its still readable, but the glare hides the display. With full backlighting in all these conditions the difference was almost inperceptable.

I still don't get it. I think there's a system that brainwashes these people. Granted, I'm not out to smear Garmin's name AND I'm not wearing sun glasses, but I still don't get this reaction, especially when you just can't see much of a difference between the two units. I really think the darker backgrounds and the reverse lettering is fooling about half the people into thinking they're just not seeing the screen. I don't know what they're looking for. Its certainly not text or a clearly readable complass page.

As for the gentleman who claims that Garmin's advertising is "a complete lie," I'm wondering if he is confusing a crack pipe with a GPS unit. The one with the stem ... it ain't your GPS dude! Take off your shades and open your eyes.

As I've written somewhere here before, when I tried the 60 CSx and the Colorado in the typical northern lighting conditions we have at this time of the year (sun pretty low over the horizon), the Colorado screen was at best equivalent to the 60 CSx. If there was any difference, the Colorado was inferior.

But the better choice of colors on the Colorado map display made it more readable almost all the time anyway. Data fields were worse, mainly due to the bad choice of colors and font (7-segment went out of fashion in the eighties).

This was all with no backlight.

On the whole, I can summarize that my experience was the same as yours.

Nothing could beat the readability of the monochrome display on the Forerunner 301, but it doesn't show that much data, of course.

I would bet that if you asked these people to view the geocaching waypoints page outdoors, their reaction would be different. This page displays waypoints on a white background. I would expect to hear: Well, it's a little better. This is due to the dark background.

To be perfectly honest, all these folks who are complaining wouldn't be happy unless they repackaged the GPSmap 60 unit into the Colorado case. THAT is what they wanted, but they didn't get it.

Had Garmin put the eTrex Vista HC into the Colorado Case, considering the brightness of it's display, all these guys would be quiet.

From what I have heard about near future corrections to certain issues, I expect this unit to perform to the level of my expectations. That's ALL that matters. I have to be happy. If you guys aren't -- doesnt' matter to me. I like the unit the way it is. I'm sure that I'll love it once these corrections are made.

Happy Colorado User

I justed returned my colorado 300. I liked it very much, but was disapointed with the short life of the batteries. Then sometimes I could load geocaches and then sometimes not. The unit would say that it was in it but it wasn't. I wanted to ungrade my gps and go paperless at the same time. I may have to go with my idea of a palm unit for paperless.

I justed returned my colorado 300. I liked it very much, but was disapointed with the short life of the batteries. Then sometimes I could load geocaches and then sometimes not. The unit would say that it was in it but it wasn't. I wanted to ungrade my gps and go paperless at the same time. I may have to go with my idea of a palm unit for paperless.

Let's say that you upgraded the software and you were still having problems with the unit eating up batteries. Have you ever thought of "rechargeable" batteries? What, you are using rechargeable batteries and you're still having problems? You obviously don't have a car charger. I have three pairs of batteries. Two pairs are in the units and one is fresh for the next cycle, no matter how long or short that happens to be. I think this is one of the keys of being happy with this unit.

There's always going to be someone who complains, no matter what "fix" is applied. Too short a battery life, too dim a screen, why does the unit turn down the backlight level, screen is too small, etc. The key is to use the features you want and have fresh, backup batteries. I use two pair of the pre-charged 2000 mAh Duracells for backup. Even without my car charger, if I drain batteries while I'm out, these will not drop charge like the others.

This isn't a rediculous work-around like so many other "solutions" you will read. This is just being practical.

This isn't a rediculous work-around like so many other "solutions" you will read. This is just being practical.

Yeah, it is. a very ridiculous work-around. If the manufacture came through on the spec's that the unit is suppose to have then, the average Colorado user would not have to carry spare batteries for a few hours outing. Your suggestion is not a "Solution" sounds like something a used car salesman might say to get me out the door.

Edited by texbaz

Yeah, it is. a very ridiculous work-around. If the manufacture came through on the spec's that the unit is suppose to have then, the average Colorado user wound't have to carry spare batteries for a few hours outing. Your suggestion is not a "Solution" sounds like something a used car salesman might say to get me out the door.

Who said anything about "a few hours outing?" It wasn't me. The point I was making was this (sorry to have to spell this out for some readers:

- Fully functioning unt (WAAS enabled GPS, electronic compass, etc.)

- large, bright LCD display

- 15 hour battery life (note that this is the lowest rating of all the Garmin mapping field units)

- considerably large internal storage

The power requirements on this unit is higher than any of the previous GPS units. Its going to have a shorter battery life.

Considering most users will be adding this GPS to their fleet, they most likely will be buying new NiMH batteries. These batteries require several use cycles to have peak performance. Even then, keeping one spare pair of batteries for a 15 hour life unit isn't ... how did you say it ... "a very rediculous work-around."

(keeping negative coments to myself this time)

I justed returned my colorado 300. I liked it very much, but was disapointed with the short life of the batteries.

Unfortunately, you seem to have gotten one of the defective units your first time around. If you really liked the unit, I'd suggest asking for a new one, if you aren't getting at least 8 hours off a pair of rechargables and longer off a pair of alkalines.

Then sometimes I could load geocaches and then sometimes not. The unit would say that it was in it but it wasn't. I wanted to ungrade my gps and go paperless at the same time. I may have to go with my idea of a palm unit for paperless.

I've definitely had my issues regarding the paperless functionality. I've found that (at least, on a Mac), if you throw a GPX file into the trash, somehow the Colorado still reads it at startup, and this may cause your new GPX file(s) not to be read. I know Garmin is improving this functionality and the next update should provide considerable improvement. On my wish list is "Show caches on the map" and "Mark a cache as found".

--Marky

Edited to add: P.S. This is the Happy Colorady Owners thread. There are plenty "I'm returning my Colorado" threads to choose from if you aren't happy with yours. :o

Edited by Marky

Hi, new to this forum, so hello everybody.

I have had my Colorado 300 for three weeks now and I am very pleased with it (so far) :)

I have been lurking for a while to read up on the Colorado 300 and the FAQ list to learn more.

Have the European version of the Colorado 300 and have had no problems with battery life on the unit.

No topo maps for Ireland but I've loaded City Navigator Europe NT V9 mapping via SD card.

Very happy with the unit

Cheers

John

know Garmin is improving this functionality and the next update should provide considerable improvement. On my wish list is "Show caches on the map" and "Mark a cache as found".

Ummm, it does that right now.....

At the time of Marky's post ( yesterday@12:01 PM ) the update wasn't out.

Changes from version 2.30 to version 2.40:

Edited by nicolo

know Garmin is improving this functionality and the next update should provide considerable improvement. On my wish list is "Show caches on the map" and "Mark a cache as found".

Ummm, it does that right now.....

Yeah, about an hour after I posted that. Glad they were listening to me. :)

I can say that after my experience with Magellan and my Triton 2000 I am glad I decided to take it back and get the Colorado 400t. The Colorado is at least usable and now with the firmware and software updates the unit rocks!! Garmin tech help and their work to get issues fixed as quickly as possible shows they care about their customers and their reputation. Garmin has converted this Magellan user.

Well, seeing as I started this topic weeks ago I thought I would reply with my thoughts after receiving my Colorado 400t earlier this week. Some of y'all had me worried that I had prematurely sold my gpsmap 60csx after everything I had been reading on the forums! I must say that I am VERY, VERY pleased with my Colorado. Things I love:

• the shape and size of the unit as compared to my previous 60csx
  • the screen brightness and colors
  • the rock n' roller wheel! I feel it did the the gpsr what the click wheel did to the iPod.
  • Profile Change: What a great feature. I like the functionality it gives me when I exit the car (automotive profile) and enter the geocaching mode or recreational mode.
  • integration with geocaching/paperless is nice!
  • not as clunky with the many buttons as my 60csx

The learning curve on the interface took less than 30 minutes and I am much happier with this unit than my previous one. I am a mac user and had no problem uploading/downloading geocaches, tracks, and waypoints. I encourage anyone who has doubts about upgrading to the Colorado from a 60csx to know that my new unit has met and surpassed my expectations. Thanks Garmin!

I got my 400t this week. I've had an Explorist and a Crossover. The map on the 400t is a huge improvement. As a Mac user it's awesome to have a unit that updates, downloads and functions intuitively on my machine. Sending caches directly to the unit is so simple. Paperless caching means I can just head out and cache anytime. I found a couple today on my first run. I noticed that it's important to remember to calibrate the compass after a battery change. I almost bought a Triton. I love my Colorado almost as much as my iPhone:)

I noticed that it's important to remember to calibrate the compass after a battery change.

You don't have to calibrate the compass every time if you turn it off. I personally think the unit works better with it off. Certainly, you'll get a little increase in battery life.

--Marky

I was just reading through this thread again (I am a happy 400t owner) and thought I'd point out my experience with the batteries since that seems to be one of the most common issues. When I bought it I was told by the REI sales gal to leave the batter setting in 'Alkaline' no matter what type I use. She told me that the unit DOES NOT actually drain the rechargeable batteries, it simply can't read the charge remaining. The unit thinks the battery is about to die and turns off as gracefully as possible (though inconveniently) even though there is charge left in the batteries. I don't know how true that is, but has anyone checked the remaining charge in a "dead" battery to see?

Personally, I took her advice and left it in alkaline mode and put in non-rechargeable lithium batteries. I plug the unit in while driving, then remove it when I get to where I'm going, turn off the backlight (unless it's dark) and leave the unit on. It seems like typical use and I've had the unit for almost a month now and I'm still only on my second pair with 3 bars remaining.

Maybe I got one of the good units? :D

When I bought it I was told by the REI sales gal to leave the batter setting in 'Alkaline' no matter what type I use.

While this may have been true for firmware version 2.30 or before, with 2.4, you should use the correct setting if you are using NiMH batteries. I would also use the correct setting for lithium too. If you don't, you'll get a false high reading on the number of bars remaining due to the differences in the voltage of lithium batteries.

When I bought it I was told by the REI sales gal to leave the batter setting in 'Alkaline' no matter what type I use.

While this may have been true for firmware version 2.30 or before, with 2.4, you should use the correct setting if you are using NiMH batteries. I would also use the correct setting for lithium too. If you don't, you'll get a false high reading on the number of bars remaining due to the differences in the voltage of lithium batteries.

I didn't realize that this was in issue fixed in 2.4. I would rather false high readings than false low ones :D

I'll switch it and give it a try to see how it goes.