Looking for Cachers with Windows Devices

sancmat

I am currently working on a farily robust application for managing caches right now. This application will run on Microsft Pocket PC 2003 and newer operating systems. I am looking for people who are intersted in helping me test it.

Please respond with your Device Type and Operating system if known.

Be aware this appliation will require the installation of Microsoft Compact Framework 3.5 and SQL Server 2005 for Mobile Devices. It is not small. But will support large numbers of caches with sorting, and filtering. And it will support the display of every field in the current GPX Waypoint format. First version does not offer GPS Integration (Because I don't have one.)

This started as a small project because nothing is avaiable for windows mobile 6 standard and it grew and grew. First versions will support Windows Mobile 6 Standard Landscape format (Dash,Q...etc) and Pocket PC 2003. As more OS's and formats are requested I will try to port it.

I am currently working on a farily robust application for managing caches right now. This application will run on Microsft Pocket PC 2003 and newer operating systems. I am looking for people who are intersted in helping me test it.

Please respond with your Device Type and Operating system if known.

Be aware this appliation will require the installation of Microsoft Compact Framework 3.5 and SQL Server 2005 for Mobile Devices. It is not small. But will support large numbers of caches with sorting, and filtering. And it will support the display of every field in the current GPX Waypoint format. First version does not offer GPS Integration (Because I don't have one.)

This started as a small project because nothing is avaiable for windows mobile 6 standard and it grew and grew. First versions will support Windows Mobile 6 Standard Landscape format (Dash,Q...etc) and Pocket PC 2003. As more OS's and formats are requested I will try to port it.

Okay, mebbe I am just a simple country boy, but I am confused, even though I have read your post about ten times; here is what is bothering the heck out of me:

Are you REALLY REALLY trying to tell us that you have invented some kind of computer program that will actually automatically go out in the real world and do all my cache maintenance for me? Sounds great in theory, but how does the computer thingie or program thingie get itself to the cache location, and how does it manage to do physical chores such as replace logbooks, replace leaky containers, or move the cache back to its correct hiding spot? Doesn't it take a human to do these things? How can a computer program do this? Are robots involved?

Late postscript: Weird.. I also just noticed that you are talking in your original post about squealing as well, because you mention "SQL", which, I guess, is text messaging lingo/slang for "squeal". So, I gotta ask, does this have anything do to with those hillbillies in the movie "Deliverance" and their whole hangup about squealing? Cause, if it does, I don't want to get near your cache maintenance proect! wowsie!

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

Let me try to clear this up. It is a program (Similar to GPX View) that will keep a list of all of the caches you have downloaded from geocaching.com in gpx files. So when your out in the field looking for caches you can have the full (ok well close to the full) details of the cache as if you printed out the screen.

SQL and Compact Framework are references to microsoft programs you need to install on your device for it to work. I mentioned it because they are not small programs.

This program is not file based so you can import as many files as you like and search for caches without knowing what file they are in.

I have a Dell Axim 5 with Windows 2003 upgrade. I have 12 "program" meg free internal and can have up to 1 gig with a card.

I know very little about working this PDA beyond copying files to and from, running GPXView and GPXSonar. I have no clue as to what Microsoft Compact Framework 3.5 and SQL Server 2005 for Mobile Devices are or is (I'll Google them later).

I'd be the perfect candidate for "idiot" proofing of which I have much experience as I was a home based programmer back in the day with Atari 800 & ST/Amiga (knew Sam Tramiel personally) and now some simple Windows scripting. I know that idiot proofing is probably the hardest part of writing software for public use.

BUT, I repeat. I have no clue about working PDA's and if those GPXSonar and GPXview programs didn't install (sync) by themselves, I'd probably still be using paper.....

Profile available. This ain't a sock puppet.

This started as a small project because nothing is avaiable for windows mobile 6 standard and it grew and grew.

Other programs:

"Tracky" from Track this out runs with WM6. Intergrates GPS. Alows to search geocaching .com for caches, links to web page for paperless caching.

GroundScout also works with WM6, intergrates GPS.

This sound interesting to me. I was using a IPAQ for caching but recently got a T-mobile Shadow, I assumed it would run GPX sonar, because it runs window mobile 6. Guess there is a difference between WM 6 for Pocket PC and for smart phone. I didn't know, and now I'm feeling pretty frustrated because I really don't like to carry, the pocket PC, the GPS and my cell phone. So, if this is something that would run on the smartphone version of WM6, I'd love to give it a try. I am not really a techie, so be patient. Thanks, Jacque