Release notes 1/25/08

OpinioNate

Release notes for today's build:

• Travel Bug mileage now calculated in kilometers for users with this profile setting
  • Travel Bug movements calculated instantly upon logging a "drop"
  • Removed the need to "recalculate distance" on Travel Bugs after deleting logs
  • Travel Bug activation no longer fails when users input HTML in description
  • Fixed the map on /track/geocoin.aspx
  • Added "view listing" link to geocache edit page after submitting changes
  • Updated "Mystery Cache" text on cache_types.aspx to mirror Guidelines description
  • Removed broken map from Update Home Coordinates page, Yahoo map to be added at a later date

Please respond in this thread to any issues you find with regard to these changes only. Thanks!

Sorry, didn't read everything. This issue belongs here. I guess.

* Fixed the map on /track/geocoin.aspx

After this release. I tried tb map with some of my tb's and instead of getting my tb's route I got Deadly Duck: Envy tb's map . That happend just by clicking that view map.

I noticed while activating a couple geocoins this week that if a person enters the activation code on the first screen instead of the reference number, and then corrects that mistake on the 2nd screen, the form is still holding the incorrect value somewhere and will not take your new entry from the form on the 2nd screen...it will insist on still using the activation code. You have to back out of the form and start over again.

I noticed while activating a couple geocoins this week that if a person enters the activation code on the first screen instead of the reference number, and then corrects that mistake on the 2nd screen, the form is still holding the incorrect value somewhere and will not take your new entry from the form on the 2nd screen...it will insist on still using the activation code. You have to back out of the form and start over again.

That's because the code is stored in the URL. It's the only way to populate the field with your tracking number in step one. I'm not sure I would consider this a bug.

That's because the code is stored in the URL. It's the only way to populate the field with your tracking number in step one. I'm not sure I would consider this a bug.

User clicks "Trackable Items". That takes him to http://www.geocaching.com/track/

In the area "Activate Trackable Item:" the user ignorantly enter the activation code because he doesn't know better. Say code is "Z1Z1Z1Z1"

The user is then brought to http://www.geocaching.com/track/activate.a...trknum=Z1Z1Z1Z1 when he clicks the submit button. That page has two text entry inputs.

"Enter your tracking number below" is prepopulated from the URL, so contains "Z1Z1Z1Z1".

At this point the user realizes his mistake and moves the value "Z1Z1Z1Z1" down to "Enter your activation code below" and then changes the top input field to the tracking number.

When the user clicks the submit button, the changes he made to the top input area are NOT USED (disregarded/discarded)...the value from the URL is retained instead. In other words, the top input area is just there to fool the user...changing it doesn't DO anything upon submission...the value from the first page sticks around.

That's a bug in my book.

Edited by mvigor

Dang, I was hoping my travelbug activation issue might have been solved by this release, but no. If you have an & in the name, it still displays incorrectly until you re-edit the page, then it displays correctly without making any changes, just re-editing fixes it.

If you look at my trackables page (don't do this on dial-up folks), you'll see that I've activated a lot of trackables. Possibly more than anyone else. Having to page through multiple extra pages on each activation gets really old. Can someone please take my issue to heart and fix this one?

--Marky

If you look at my trackables page (don't do this on dial-up folks), you'll see that I've activated a lot of trackables. Possibly more than anyone else. Having to page through multiple extra pages on each activation gets really old. Can someone please take my issue to heart and fix this one.

You do own a lot of trackables. :D

Just curious, how many of those geocoins have been released into the wild? :lol:

Dang, I was hoping my travelbug activation issue might have been solved by this release, but no. If you have an & in the name, it still displays incorrectly until you re-edit the page, then it displays correctly without making any changes, just re-editing fixes it.

If you look at my trackables page (don't do this on dial-up folks), you'll see that I've activated a lot of trackables. Possibly more than anyone else. Having to page through multiple extra pages on each activation gets really old. Can someone please take my issue to heart and fix this one?

--Marky

Sure, Marky, I wasn't aware of this one. I'll document it and make sure it gets fixed as soon as we can afford to spend time on it.

FWIW - I have this issue, too.

I activate a lot of travlers under "Kealia & Hula Bum" and have to go back and edit the title's because it converts to the ascii code (IIRC) for the "&".

edit: I guess that's what happens when you keep a window open for so long - OpinioNate swoops in!

Edited by kealia

If you look at my trackables page (don't do this on dial-up folks), you'll see that I've activated a lot of trackables. Possibly more than anyone else. Having to page through multiple extra pages on each activation gets really old. Can someone please take my issue to heart and fix this one.

You do own a lot of trackables. :D

Just curious, how many of those geocoins have been released into the wild? :D

Over 300 are traveling. :unsure:

Thanks Nate, for the response.

Kealia, you don't even need to edit the title, you just need to re-edit the page with the title as it is and it will correct itself. That's why I always thought it was funny this one wasn't fixed, since there was code to fix it already on a different page. :unsure:

User clicks "Trackable Items". That takes him to http://www.geocaching.com/track/

In the area "Activate Trackable Item:" the user ignorantly enter the activation code because he doesn't know better. Say code is "Z1Z1Z1Z1"

The user is then brought to http://www.geocaching.com/track/activate.a...trknum=Z1Z1Z1Z1 when he clicks the submit button. That page has two text entry inputs.

"Enter your tracking number below" is prepopulated from the URL, so contains "Z1Z1Z1Z1".

At this point the user realizes his mistake and moves the value "Z1Z1Z1Z1" down to "Enter your activation code below" and then changes the top input field to the tracking number.

When the user clicks the submit button, the changes he made to the top input area are NOT USED (disregarded/discarded)...the value from the URL is retained instead. In other words, the top input area is just there to fool the user...changing it doesn't DO anything upon submission...the value from the first page sticks around.

That's a bug in my book.

The page

http://www.geocaching.com/track/search.aspx?k=lincoln+land

has exactly the same problem.

The search term becomes permanent thanks to the URL and the "text entry" area is useless.

Visit the URL I included in this post and try changing the text in the form entry box to "Land of Lincoln". The search will be performed on the text from the URL, not what you've changed it to say.

• Travel Bug mileage now calculated in kilometers for users with this profile setting
  • Updated "Mystery Cache" text on cache_types.aspx to mirror Guidelines description
  • Removed broken map from Update Home Coordinates page, Yahoo map to be added at a later date

Please respond in this thread to any issues you find with regard to these changes only. Thanks!

If I understand this right, the mileage automatically calculates and updates when you select a TB. I noticed that this now takes over a minute to do this and get to my "personal" TB page and really slows down the time it takes to log a number of caches. I used to just wait until I had logged all 20 or 30 or however many finds I had before I recalculated the mileage of my "bug". It now does it on its own each time and adds a lot of time to my putting in my logs. Would it be possible to turn off this "auto" recalculate mileage and do it manually when we desire? It should also save on processing time on the server also. Thanks...

If I understand this right, the mileage automatically calculates and updates when you select a TB. I noticed that this now takes over a minute to do this and get to my "personal" TB page and really slows down the time it takes to log a number of caches. I used to just wait until I had logged all 20 or 30 or however many finds I had before I recalculated the mileage of my "bug". It now does it on its own each time and adds a lot of time to my putting in my logs. Would it be possible to turn off this "auto" recalculate mileage and do it manually when we desire? It should also save on processing time on the server also. Thanks...

We have the same issue....when your personal TB has a lot of miles on it it seems like it takes an inordinate amount of time to get to the TB's page when you click on it's link from the cache page. Can this be made a setting in an individual's personal settings instead of a globally applied solution?

• <snip>
  • <snip>

Not sure if this is an "issue" and whether it has already been noted, but . . .

This instant logging of movement also applies if a bug is dropped in a yet to be published cache.

I found this out when it happened to a bug that I have a watch on.

And the TB map is good enough for me to go and try to find the cache before it is published. :blink:

Now if only it wasn't a blazing hot 40C day and the cache 100 km away . . . :unsure:

Since this release, my tracker coin (TBHJ4F) page takes a long time to open. The coin has almost 85000 miles on it and almost 2800 logs. I've looked at other coins with over 10000 miles, and there is a delay in viewing those pages too.

I have the same issue on my coin TBMZW1. Over 23,000 miles and 3900+ log entries. The page takes over 1 minute to come up. After reading the release notes, it sounds like the mileage is calculating each time the TB page is opened. For those TB's with lots of miles, this is going to be an issue. It's gotten so slow that I book marked the 'Add a log entry' page and go straight to that when I pick up the coin.