new name linked to my account

Groundspeak doesn't seem to let someone create a new name linked to their account anymore which I understand. Is there anyway I can create a new name linked to my account. I'd like to have a shorter name so it would be easier to log all these new micros and nanos coming out. Some of the logs in them are pretty small. Can I request it from Groundspeak or something?

Edited by imfishinohio

I see some people around here just use initials,or the first couple letters of their account name when signing the small logs. Don't know how the cache owners feels, but I haven't heard anyone complain yet.

That's kind of what I do now. I really don't think many cross check the logs anyway. I've even drew a little fish on some of the logs.

Here's how to request a user name change, in the FAQ

change user name. Also, initialing micro logs is common, even requested by some cache owners. I generally use IK on micro logs. I like your fish idea - very nice.

Thank you for finding that for me. But.......... I don't want to change my name, I want to have a new name linked to my current account. That page looked like it was for changing your name and not for creating a new name link to your current name and account. I know many people have more than one name linked to their account but I never saw the need to do it until recently. If I read that link page wrong please correct me.

This really isn't that important but if I use initials, and the owner does go through the cache log with a fine tooth comb, the shorter name linked to my account might avoid some confusion and a possible deletion of a find.

I usually use "TM" in nanos and then just note it in my online log "Signed log TM" I don't think a Cache Owner would question that :D they know they placed a nano!

Actually I'll use the abbreviation when I'm writing longer logs too...I usually sign the log for my boyfriend and myself when we cache together, and if theres a story to tell in the notebook I refer to us as TM and PK until the last line where I'll spell it out :D

The fish is a really cute idea :D You can sign a little fishy and then note that in your online log..

Edited by ThirstyMick

Groundspeak doesn't seem to let someone create a new name linked to their account anymore which I understand. Is there anyway I can create a new name linked to my account. I'd like to have a shorter name so it would be easier to log all these new micros and nanos coming out. Some of the logs in them are pretty small. Can I request it from Groundspeak or something?

Are you anywhere near New Knoxville?

Here's how to request a user name change, in the FAQ

change user name. Also, initialing micro logs is common, even requested by some cache owners. I generally use IK on micro logs. I like your fish idea - very nice.

Thank you for finding that for me. But.......... I don't want to change my name, I want to have a new name linked to my current account. That page looked like it was for changing your name and not for creating a new name link to your current name and account. I know many people have more than one name linked to their account but I never saw the need to do it until recently. If I read that link page wrong please correct me.

This really isn't that important but if I use initials, and the owner does go through the cache log with a fine tooth comb, the shorter name linked to my account might avoid some confusion and a possible deletion of a find.

I've only been caching since 2001, but in that time I've never seen Groundspeak link 2 or more names to the same profile. Care to link us to some of the "many people have more than one name linked to their account"?

OK, Mopar got me thinking and I went and did a little checking on one person with an alias. This person puts out caches under 2 different names which have the same profile. That's why I thought you could have 2 names. I've come to the conclusion, when submitting a cache you can fill in the "placed by" box with whatever name you want. THis person sets caches using his AKA name every so often and that's what lead me to believe you could have 2 names to one account.

I'll just draw my little fish picture or use as many letters of my name that will fit on the cache log. Thanks everyone for your input. :D

What I thought was strange was, when I did a "Look up another player" on his AKA name I got this

The user selected has invalidated his or her account. You cannot send email to this user.

When I typed jiberish in, nothing came up.

Edited by imfishinohio

Aha, yes, you can put any name you want in the ownership of a cache. I own one (Aristotle Contemplating a Bust of Homer) where the owner name is Rembrandt van Rijn and another with the owner name of Nancy. That Nancy owner name is used by a couple of cachers (an odd joke). But those are just words on the cache listing. The link takes you to the Isonzo Karst profile.

I could write up my next cache with imfishinohio as the owner name. It would still link back to the Isonzo Karst profile.