Garmin Map Questions

Just got my Legend HCX and trying to get the basics and understand the mapping usage. I'm an engineer and this is confusing...

I haven't bought the Navigator and Topo DVDs yet so I'm testing w/ some IMGs I found online. Tried downloading the IMGs with img2gps but couldn't get it to work on my Mac running Parallels. Seems to have sent out the maps but didn't show up on the Legend. So I used cgsmapper and MapSetTookit to translate them into MapSource readable files. Now they're loaded in my GPS. They're not detailed as street maps, but the Yosemite park map is pretty decent.

1) Mapsets. Can you only load 1 mapset at a time? I was trying to create different mapsets, say one for local roads, then one for Nat'l parks. I put one one first. I assumed loading a 2nd set would just add more maps but it just replaced what was there previously.

2) The Legend has a basemap loaded. If I load a map, does is overlay the basemap or does it replace it?

3) If I buy both the Nagivator and Topo DVDs and use a 2 GB card, will I be able to load both onto the card? How would I do that?

Thanks from the newbie.

I haven't done this yet, and I am sure others will respond who know a bunch more than me.....

BUT

1. I have heard people say that you have to load stuff all at once, because each time you load something new it does replace the old (as you found out). So I THINK the trick is loading it all at once - not sure how though, as I haven't done it yet.

2. No clue - I loaded some old Mapsource maps on mine, but I am not sure how to tell whether it replaced or added to the stock maps....

3. I have heard others say that you can load both mapsets on a 2GB card - not sure how though.

1) Mapsets. Can you only load 1 mapset at a time? I was trying to create different mapsets, say one for local roads, then one for Nat'l parks. I put one one first. I assumed loading a 2nd set would just add more maps but it just replaced what was there previously.

You need to do them simultaneously. In the upper left hand corner of your Mapsource screen is a pull down that has each of the mapping products that you have installed. Say you have Topo and City Navigatior. First you select Topo from the dropdown and highlight all the map segments you want. Then you select City Navigator from the dropdown and select the desired CN segments. Then you send them to the unit together.

2) The Legend has a basemap loaded. If I load a map, does is overlay the basemap or does it replace it?

It overlays the base map. If you turn off your other maps, you will still see the basemap layer.

3) If I buy both the Nagivator and Topo DVDs and use a 2 GB card, will I be able to load both onto the card? How would I do that?

All of both? No. Garmin has a map segment limit (I forget the exact number) and you will run into that. You can get all of CN and a good portion of Topo onto the unit though. You can load both onto the card the same way I described in answer #1.

moving this to the appropriate forum while I'm at it

Edited by briansnat

So, what is that limit? I have tried to load 3000 maps or so with what look to be success. But, when trying to view the maps on the GPS, about every other map was missing. Shouldn't an error or something come up saying that I have exceeded the number of maps?

ERIC

-Vista HCx with 2GB microSD

Just to throw another question into the mix...

I have a VistaHCx that I've been using for geocaching and it's fantastic. I do, however, want to get maps for it (I'm thinking road maps would be the most useful for my purposes). Any suggestions on which garmin maps I should use? I think MetroGuide doesn't have autorouting on gpsr, which for me throws that out, but are there really any differences between the remaining options?

~jmarkowi

Just to throw another question into the mix...

I have a VistaHCx that I've been using for geocaching and it's fantastic. I do, however, want to get maps for it (I'm thinking road maps would be the most useful for my purposes). Any suggestions on which garmin maps I should use? I think MetroGuide doesn't have autorouting on gpsr, which for me throws that out, but are there really any differences between the remaining options?

~jmarkowi

How about City Navigator V.2008 and 2 unlocked Regions of BlueChart Americas ?

Do you think all of that would fit on a 2GB card ?

I have no idea how many "segments" it is ?

Thanks, Tim

moving this to the appropriate forum while I'm at it

I can't seem to find it? Garmin Maps?

I can't find it listed under Forums or sub forums

Search brings up nada could you please post a link.

I'm having the same card problem and would like to follow the posts.

thx

Allay