Summiting Mt. Rainier

Love

I am reading a book about remarkable Washington Women. I came across a section about Fay Fuller, the first woman to summit Mt. Tahoma (Ranier) in 1890. I found a picture of her modeling the clothes she wore while summiting.

5533a492-81d0-490c-9d3a-8c3851414042.jpg

BTW her outfit was scandalous! She wore pants under her dress and you can see them! And she wore a men's hat!! She says,

"I was very nearly ostracized in Tacoma because of that trip- a lone woman and four men climbing a mountain, in in that immodest costume.."

:) I imagine that the picture was pretty accurate of what you wore to the top! :)

I am reading a book about remarkable Washington Women. I came across a section about Fay Fuller, the first woman to summit Mt. Tahoma (Ranier) in 1890. I found a picture of her modeling the clothes she wore while summiting.

BTW her outfit was scandalous! She wore pants under her dress and you can see them! And she wore a men's hat!! She says,

"I was very nearly ostracized in Tacoma because of that trip- a lone woman and four men climbing a mountain, in in that immodest costume.."

:) I imagine that the picture was pretty accurate of what you wore to the top! :D

Yikes, I hope she wasn't wearing a corset when she did the climb! :)

:) I imagine that the picture was pretty accurate of what you wore to the top! ;)

Yikes, I hope she wasn't wearing a corset when she did the climb! :(

That's probably what made it scandalous as well.

I just tuned in to this topic. I see things have changed a bit since I climbed Mt. Rainier waaayyyy back in 1965.

We attended the snow & ice school the day prior. I recall the hike to Camp Muir from Paradise took about 7 hours. The main difference I'm reading here is that we started hiking around 3 am and reached the crater floor just before 11 am. They wanted us off the summit before noon to avoid the rock and ice falls that can happen when the sun warms things up a bit in the afternoon. It looks like that schedule has been moved up seriously. A 12 am start must mean climbing up through that rock gap in the dark.

We were also favored with a clear August day and a great view of the "old" Mt. Saint Helens and just about every other peak in the Cascades in both directions. I will never forget that climb.

Congratulations to Annie and Ruck and EraSeek too. Thanks for bringing back the good memories.